Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I will be using this computer for Gaming Video encoding Photo editing

Planned purchase with in 2 weeks

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Cryo-TEC Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Configure HDD Set 2 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 2x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU System & Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: Call of Duty: - No Thanks
Display: NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Setup (3x Triple Asus 3D Panels 23 inch VG236H (Includes 3D Glasses
Surge Shield: APC BX1500G Uninterruptible Backup Surge Conditioner
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (USB) (920-000969)
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty

I was wondering if there would be anything anyone would change from this build i think i have everything hammered out i just want to make sure

(stream of expletives)

...are you at all interested in saving, oh, a couple of thousand? I could whittle this down quite a bit, but it doesn't seem like money matters to you at all. The most notable changes would be a 3930K instead of the 3960X (virtually no difference but several hundred dollars), 1600mhz RAM, a far, far cheaper motherboard and an 850W PSU. Drop the factory OC on the CPU entirely; it's a total scam. You can just tune it up right away in the BIOS for free. You can probably skip the fan controller.

Oh, and that Cryo-tec stuff is basically useless. It'll get you a little more OCing, sure, but not anything worth the money at all.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The money i have for this computer does not matter really i inherited quite a bit when my grandpa passed away and his only request was that i spend it frivolously i think i am out to a good start..... as for the few changes i will see if they have the changes and see how they will do my main thing was to buy a computer that is up and running and i never have to poke and prod at it for 2-3 months to get it working the best

welshmousepk

Distinguished

He sounds like a wise man.

But there is a difference between frivolity and foolishness. While spending the money on an awesome system is great. overspending is just a waste. I would listen to kasa's advice, and drop some of the more wasteful parts of the build. You can then spend the money on something equally frivolous but infinitely more useful.

a few hundred dollars saved that you wont even notice, will at the very least get you a few extra games to play on it.
Even if you have plenty of money to spend, waste is waste.

So go for the liquid cooling and maybe even the RAM, but swap the CPU and mobo and skip the the fan controller (especially if you don't want to be poking and prodding) and the factory OC. That last one really infuriates me; you'd honestly be paying them a bunch of money just to make a couple of keystrokes in the BIOS's most easily accessible options.