CMOS Battery Dies In A Few Days

arslan94

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi guys .... I have a problem with my Dell Optiplex 755 CPU as it's CMOS battery dies in a week or so ..... I have changed the battery a lot of times but no success ..... I asked DELL but no response ... Tell me what to do ? Its a Q35 Chipset running a Core 2 Duo E6650 2.66 GHz Processor with 2 GB RAM ..... The battery I use is CR2032 3.2V ........ Please help as my PC cant remember the BIOS Configuration and Date/Time ...... Please help !!

Solution
If you leave your PC in soft-off mode (not unplugging it, leaving the power switch in the 'on' position and not switching off using external switch on power bars or wall either), the clock/CMOS should be powered by 5VSB instead of CMOS battery.

If your CMOS battery still drains in a matter of days with 5VSB available then you have a big problem, something along the lines of 5VSB not being connected properly somewhere and the CMOS battery ending up bleeding out into devices that should be on 5VSB.

In an ATX PCw with 5VSB, people normally won't need to replace the battery even once over the PC's entire lifespan unless they shelf it completely unpowered for months or even years.

arslan94

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

Yup it seems like a motherboard fault but what do you guys suggest I should do ? Cuz I recently bought this CPU and in Pakistan it is very expensive it costs Rs. 17500 ..... so it is unaffordable for me to get a new PC now ..... Can BIOS upgrade be helpful in this case ?

RMA is short for Return to Manufacturer Authority,
its returning it to the place of purchase for them to sort it out,
I don't know about Pakistan but UK trading laws have provisions for you to get what you paid for in a decent working condition
Ofc is short for Of course
and Moto is my name, I sign all my posts :)
Moto

InvalidError

Titan
If you leave your PC in soft-off mode (not unplugging it, leaving the power switch in the 'on' position and not switching off using external switch on power bars or wall either), the clock/CMOS should be powered by 5VSB instead of CMOS battery.

If your CMOS battery still drains in a matter of days with 5VSB available then you have a big problem, something along the lines of 5VSB not being connected properly somewhere and the CMOS battery ending up bleeding out into devices that should be on 5VSB.

In an ATX PCw with 5VSB, people normally won't need to replace the battery even once over the PC's entire lifespan unless they shelf it completely unpowered for months or even years.

Solution

satyamdubey

Distinguished
have you tried using the battery on some other device to make sure it actually is draining out? Do it just to be sure... do what "Invalid's" written, it could be serious and definitely warrants an RMA....you can return stuff back in Pakistan (I think trade rules are same as in India)...good luck

deejay_catalin

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
i had the same problem with an asus p5n e sli motherboard and i solved the problem by using an old mp3 player that had a rechargable 3.3 v li-ion battery and connected it instead of the original battery using the mp3 to charge it connected to the 5v usb on the mobo when the computer is on
so no more problem since then almost an year now