Sign in with
Your question

Would this build be good for making youtube videos?

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2012 10:51:02 PM

yeah like the title says, would this build be any good for recording videos of games with either fraps or Bandicam with a minimum of 30FPS WHILE recording?

Desktop Case: Lexa S Black Mid Tower Computer Case
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G45 (G3) Intel Z68 Socket 1155 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked
GPU: ((undecided))
PSU: 950Watt with crossfire/SLI support
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengiance Jet Black
HDD: 1TB

with the GPU one, I'm undecided on what card to get... granted it might take a while to get up the money to buy this setup concidering i only now have about £500, and i need about £1000 lol, but, I was thinking of either buying a GTX 570 for £200, a GTX 580 for £313, or saving up an extra £100 more than the 580 and buy the new Kepler GTX 680 card for £420...
or I was hoping you guys could recomend something cheaper thats real good for recording, because originally I was thinking of buying 2 ATI Radeon HD 6850s and running them in crossfire mode, this would only cost £190, and would be ((from benchmarks I've seen)) just as powerful as the GTX 580 which is almost double the price

so back to my REAL question, is/would either of these things be good for doing youtube gaming and making lets plays of modern/new game releases in the future?
April 5, 2012 3:46:56 PM

Buy the GTX 580 and you've got yourself a system more than capable of doing anything you could possibly throw at it :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 4:27:32 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Well you have a few options available. Here's a few tweaks for your build.
-Drop to the i5-2500k. Exact same power as the 2600k in gaming for $100 less. Look up benchmarks if you don't believe me,
-Get a decent 750w PSU, not a 950w. You want to be running at 50%-70% load for maximum efficiency.
-8GB of RAM is really all you need.

That said, it looks like you are going with a Cyberpower or similar service to build a machine for you. I suggest against this as it is much cheaper to build yourself and you get a level of customization that you could not otherwise have.

For a GPU, the 7870 looks quite promising. Cheaper than the 580 with almost the same performance at an astoundingly low TDP.

Cheers!
Related resources
April 5, 2012 5:36:29 PM

lol I know i have contemplated switching to the 15 instead since posting this thread, however im not sure if it would be good enough for editing the video files effectively...
and I went with the 950watt because its as cheap as some of the 750w ones
yeah I know 8GBs is good enough but i was going with 16 gbs just because I can get it for £20 more than the 8 gbs lol

and I'm not using any sites to build it for me, I've been finding these things myself, haven't used a single custom pc website. I've been into pcs for years and I know that websites that build them for you rip you off big time so i build them myself, did with this one when i just wanted it for browsing the web, now i want to do gaming I'm building a gaming rig haha

I was trying not to go for expensive cards if 2 cheaper ones in SLI or crossfire will do exactly the same for way cheaper, because from what i see 2 6850s in crossfire are more powerful than the 580 and a little over half the price of one too

GTX 580 - £313
2 6850s - £180
HD 7870 - £270

also, is it worth getting the k series of CPUs or not? because i dont intend on ever overclocking, from what i've seen its risky, my friends gpu blew up when he failed at overclocking it...
a b B Homebuilt system
April 5, 2012 9:08:34 PM

Oh, my bad. The format looked like something of a Cyberpower info sheet. Well then... Good! :p 

-What 950w PSU is it? Quality is everything.

-A 2500k can do just fine with video encoding and whatnot. That said the 2600k can do better. It's not a huge difference, go look at video encoding and compression and decide if the difference is worth $100.

-Overclocking does involve some risk. That said it's much safer than it was in the old days, with power governors setting in when the chip gets unstable/too hot. If you stay within reasonable limits you should be fine. Do a little research and think on it.

-A pair of 6850's would indeed do better. However you'll run into issues with "microsutter" which may or may not be a big deal for you. I can't see it personally. For some it's gamebreaking. If it looks like an issue to you, get a 7870.
April 5, 2012 10:50:16 PM

lol nah I'm just very OCD with they way i set out things haha XD

it is a Powercool 950W Power Supply (PSU), but following ur advice i went with the 750Watt version of the psu, which is the same brand, just 750W instead of 950 and is £46 instead of £71 lol ((yes I was willing to pay the extra £24 just for the added 200W lol))

hmm, I suppose.... I'm still not to sure on overclocking after watching my friends explode lmfao...

well see... micro-stuttering, as far as i can see.. isn't that much of a big deal... but... for some people it appears to be a very big deal, and i'm wondering if micro-stutter would effect video recording to an extent where people wont watch because of it, mostly going to be doing lets plays of new games that come out if I feel they are important enough haha, I wont be playing many big FPS like bf3 or cod haha, which most of the vids on youtube seem to be about with micro-stutter :/ ...
mostly its not an issue to me, but is it going to be to my viewers O_O, they are what matter, not me lmfao, I mean i've played a lot of games for the past 4 years with an Nvidia GeForce 9100 graphics card, which makes a lot of games super laggy, which never bothered me lol XD
!