dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone here is my rig
amd bulldozer 8150 clocked at 4.1ghz
Sapphire 6970 stock clock
gigabyte 990fxa-ud7
8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
Basically, My card seems to be having real issues with skyrim, I have recently installed updates for skyrim and assumed it was this
but rolled back to an earlier version and the card is still struggling. before I was playing it on ultra settings and it was fine
good frame rates etc at 1980x1080
now, I have had to lower aa to 2x and anistropic to 2 times and still im getting down to about 12 fps when there is action going on.
My first worry was failing card! but nope, benchmarked it on several other softwares including the avp benchmarks and it flies through
rediculously smooth!! (especially with my brand new 120hz monitor :D)
Please help because skyrim is currently my favourite game and it is unplayable even though I have a rig that should effectively kill it!
just to let you all know temps
Card hits no higher than 75-80 when fully loaded
cpu is hitting around 41-43 full load.
Not sure of ram etc.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Honestly Skyrim (despite being a great game) is sort of a steaming pile of garbage on AMD cards. It pretty much singlehandedly drove me to sell my 5850's and pick up a pair of 560 ti's.

I had a similar issue where i never dropped below 60 fps on high settings, but on ultra it would sit there at 3-9fps... something was just clearly broken and none of the AMD drivere updates nor the Skyrim patches really changed that. So, I left it on high settings, frequently encountered crashes and major glitches, and tried to enjoy the game as best I could.

There were some third party fixes that improved things a bit (which sort of made me even more frustrated since AMD wasn't the first one with a fix), but your mileage may vary.

shadyrollz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
On the AMD FX chips, I heard that you have to OC them to get them to perform due to threading issues. Are you OC the CPU. I'm a novice So im curious to know to as well I am building my first computer its almost done, I have built AMD so I have the FX 8120 as for some of the 8150's were recalled, I Have not baught my Graphics card yet and wondering which one to buy so many people have told me a 7000 series so I am looking to see what problems people are having where.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
If you have the money definately go with a 7xxx series dude! they seem absolutely amazing! I am personally going to get a couple of 560ti's (if my card doesn't perform 3d on my new monitor like I want it to)

There is now a couple of hotfixes out for bulldozer that have helped me out a bit, but skyrim is just one of those exceptions to the rule unfortunately.

On everything else I am absolutely killing! Im currently overclocked to 4.1ghz! thats a 500Mhz increase and I am on stock vcore with low temps. They are very fun :D

So I may have to just play on high :( Bethesda you that is not what I have spent all this money for!

shadyrollz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

What are those hot fixes I have no Graphics card yet so I have not even powered up yet But I cant wait until next week when I do Buy a card I have a AMD FX8120 I hope it performs. I heard that the AMD FX eight core chips will blow away intel. That they perform above and beyond if you set multiplier to 22. Im not sure what that really means this is my first build and first desktop since 1997 so Hopefully I dont burn it up. I'm doing this build in school now for computer programming so hopefully this works any advice you have on my system let me know im totally new and read alot most makes no since to me thats how new at this i am

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
My advice would be simply not to overclock if you have no idea what it means, if you really really do feel you have to overclock, read the guides on here and do not mess about with voltages unless
A/ you are 100% sure of what you are doing
B/ you have someone who does know what they are doing
or
C/ you are prepared to fry a chip in which case go for it ( I can tell you its not fun and didnt smell nice when I did it lol!
hotfixes you need are these
KB2645594
and
KB2646060
install in that order
I have only been playing around with this hotfix today and as said before I have found a difference but nothing major!
You can get these from microsoft or just search google and use your favourite online software supplier :D

shadyrollz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Is it something I wrote Because I am normally clean and try not to use vulgar language or is there something else I could of wrote that is not nice. I want to make sure I follow the rules since I am new.

shadyrollz

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah I have the money to replace a mobo and a CPU they didnt cost me much, But if I burn $600.00 in a graphics card or two Ill be a lil upset. The 8150s did catch fire thats why they recalled them and now they come with a water cooler instead of a heat sink. Thats why I put a corsair H80 instead of a heat sink. But is my H80 cool enough to OC the 8120?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I overclock my 8150 on air mate, and I got it up to 4.2 and it was running at about 43 degrees, you are safe up till 60! so you will be fine mate ;)

Yes it was and I would appreciate it if you were more careful in the future, ta v.much.

It was dacca but you quoted his post before I got to it.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
anyway back to the subject at hand, I have lowered the settings to high, and still it is lagging! something is wrong here. Is it something to do with the 1.3 update?

Yes I had to help a friend OC his FX6100 he noticed higher FPS all the way till we topped his OC at 4.7 ghz at stock his frames sucked with a 560GTX but just the CPU OC made all the diffrence everything smoothed up.

THent

drewgamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Sounds odd. I know that Skyrim is heavily CPU bound. My roomate has a 560 ti 448 cores and gets a steady 45 FPS (fps limiter) in "most" places. However it dips down to about 20 FPS in cities and heavily populated areas. This is with a 3.2ghz CPU and using the SkyBoost mod on Ultra settings.

EDIT: I say CPU bound because reducing the resolution gives no FPS increase. Correct me if I'm wrong here :p

I don't know what my fps is as I'm afraid to check (running 9800GT (x2) SLI) lol.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That's so strange. I have an FX-4100 clocked to 4.4GHz with a dang HD 4870 1GB and it runs at 1080p with full graphics without any problems. Maybe it's some compatability issue between the game and the newer AMD GPU?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
again, I was getting good fps and I installed the update, since then its going slow, tried reverting back to 1.0 and cleaning registry and since it has just gone rubbish!

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Right, I know this sounds strange, but my motherboard seems to think that my gpu is my cpu as it is controlling the gpu fan as the cpu fan (I use a 3 pin fan so that is full all the time) could this be a reason for my strange goings on in skyrim?