Computer not recognising monitor on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluepurple

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey everyone I'm having a big problem with my new build, my computer isn't recognising my monitor.

The motherboard is this - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+1155+H61+%28B3%29/Asrock+1155+H61M-VS+Intel+H61+%28REV+B3%29+Socket+1155+DDR3+PCI-Express+Motherboard+?productId=46598

My GPU is a HD 6850.

What I've tried so far:

1) I'll turn my computer on, everything on the PC will be working, all the fans spinning but if I turn the monitor on(while plugged into the PC) it will go into standby. I borrowed my brothers monitor which I know works and plugged that in and that went into standby also.

2) I tried using my old graphics card, which is a 9600GT, it actually worked the first time, but ever since it had continued to go into standby. The monitor did work as it is supposed to with my new GPU also, but that was a one off after lots of attempts, as soon as I moved it into my office it started going into standby again.

3) I bought a new but different dvi to vga adapter, although I've been trying both. If an adapter looks ok could it still be faulty? This is the only thing I think could be the answer.

4) I tried to boot up my computer without the GPU in with the monitor plugged into the motherboard, but still it went into standby.

Thanks for reading, any ideas?

bluepurple

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the link, I must have missed it because it was in another subforum.

I read it all, should I get a motherboard speaker before anything else? Also my motherboard didn't come with a manual, just a quick start guide, are beeps universal?

Here's the checklist:

1. Did you carefully read the motherboard owners manual? Only received a quick start guide
2. Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket? Yes
3. Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Yes
4. Did you verify that the video card is fully seated? Yes
5. Did you attach all the required power connector(s) to the video card? There was a slot for one so I used one
6. Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed? Not yet
7. Did you verify that all memory modules are fully inserted? (may require more force than a new builder expects.) It's a good idea to install the RAM on the motherboard before it's in the case. Yes
8. Did you verify in the owners manual that you're using the correct RAM slots? I have two sticks for two slots
9. Did you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket? Yes
10. Did you install the CPU correctly? As far as I know
11. Are there any bent pins on the motherboard/CPU? Shouldn't be
12. If using an after market CPU cooler, did you get any thermal paste on the motherboard, CPU socket, or CPU pins? Used stock cooler
13. Is the CPU fan plugged in? Yes
14. If using a stock cooler, was the thermal material on the base of the cooler free of foreign material, and did you remove any protective covering? If the stock cooler has push-pins, did you ensure that all four pins snapped securely into place? Yes
15. Are any loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it? Are there any wires run directly under the motherboard? Don't think so
16. Did you ensure you discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components? Yes
17. Did you install the system speaker? I plugged in conventional speakers
18. Did you read the instructions in the manual on how to properly connect the front panel plugs? Yes
19. Did you turn on the power supply switch located on the back of the PSU? Yes
20. Is your CPU supported by the BIOS revision installed on your motherboard? Yes
21. Have you tried resetting the CMOS? No, don't know what it is
22. If you have integrated video and a video card, try the integrated video port. Have done, same result
23. Make certain all cables and components including RAM and expansion cards are tight within their sockets. Have done

bluepurple

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks guys, I managed to get it working with my old GPU, which I am using now. Although I have installed the drivers for my new GPU and will try it tomorrow, if it doesn't work could it just be a broken GPU, even though the fans are running? And since it hasn't worked since I bought it, am I entitled to another one under the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.