Xbox live wireless adaptor question

I want to buy a wireless network adaptor and get on XBL. Does anyone
know if the current adaptors will also be compatible with the next
generation Xbox, when it comes out? I'd like to avoid buying one now
and having to buy a second one when I buy the new Xbox.

Anyone know of a good deal on a wireless adaptor? Is 802.11g expected
to be the standard for quite some time, or is a faster spec coming out
soon?
4 answers Last reply
More about xbox live wireless adaptor question

    Since you're just going on XBL (as opposed to streaming video to your
    xbox) you won't need anything faster than 802.11b. I have the linksys
    WGA11B and it works perfect all the time.
    [http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550]

    You're looking at $50-$60 for this thing most of the time. NewEgg.com
    has a $10 MIR for it now.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-101&depa=0

    You can get the wireless G version for $20-$30 more.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-102&depa=0

    "ninjabreath" <ninjabreath@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Since you're just going on XBL (as opposed to streaming video to your
    > xbox) you won't need anything faster than 802.11b. I have the linksys
    > WGA11B and it works perfect all the time.
    > [http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550]
    >
    > You're looking at $50-$60 for this thing most of the time. NewEgg.com
    > has a $10 MIR for it now.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-101&depa=0

    > You can get the wireless G version for $20-$30 more.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-102&depa=0

    How do you get these things to work when you have WEP enabled on your home
    network? For example, on my laptop I initially had to enter my WEP password
    to connect to my wireless network.

    How does this work on an XBox, since I would assume there is no way of
    entering this info?

    Or do they come with some sort of install disc that you pop in the drive
    that allows you to configure things like WEP security settings?

    DiarrheaMouth> How do you get these things to work when you have WEP
    DiarrheaMouth> enabled on your home network? For example, on my laptop
    DiarrheaMouth> I initially had to enter my WEP password to connect to
    DiarrheaMouth> my wireless network.

    DiarrheaMouth> How does this work on an XBox, since I would assume
    DiarrheaMouth> there is no way of entering this info?

    I have a Netgear setup, and it supports WEP. It has an easy web
    interface for configuration, but I had to use another computer
    connected via cable to perform the configuration.

    --
    Michael Bain

    Your Xbox set-up screens for XBox live will do the trick.

    Easy.

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:10:23 -0400, "DiarrheaMouth"
    <the_evil_dick@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"ninjabreath" <ninjabreath@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Since you're just going on XBL (as opposed to streaming video to your
    >> xbox) you won't need anything faster than 802.11b. I have the linksys
    >> WGA11B and it works perfect all the time.
    >> [http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=550]
    >>
    >> You're looking at $50-$60 for this thing most of the time. NewEgg.com
    >> has a $10 MIR for it now.
    >>
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-101&depa=0
    >>
    >> You can get the wireless G version for $20-$30 more.
    >>
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-102&depa=0
    >>

    >How do you get these things to work when you have WEP enabled on your home
    >network? For example, on my laptop I initially had to enter my WEP password
    >to connect to my wireless network.
    >
    >How does this work on an XBox, since I would assume there is no way of
    >entering this info?
    >
    >Or do they come with some sort of install disc that you pop in the drive
    >that allows you to configure things like WEP security settings?

Console Gaming Wireless Xbox Live Xbox Video Games