Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SYRPHIDS LOVE THE 20D !!!

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:21:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44655443/original

More about : syrphids love 20d

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:17:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This is a great shot, Bret.
Interesting little yellow blob sticking out just in front of the hind
quarters...

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1118528504.034017.23230@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44655443/original
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Paul Furman wrote:

>> Fantastic Bret
>
> Yes, even a really nice background!

Yes, I agree! Bret, was that shot taken handheld or using a tripod? What
type of flash setup are you using? Keep up the great macro shots I love em.



Rita
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:48:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>> Yes, even a really nice background!

>Yes, I agree! Bret, was that shot taken handheld or using a tripod? What
>type of flash setup are you using? Keep up the great macro shots I love em.

It was a handheld shot (tripods are for wimps!).
My latest contraption consists of the 20D mounted on a Stroboframe
Quick-Flip
bracket. The 550EX flash is mounted on the bracket via the off-shoe
cord, and
is flipped down so that the softbox on the flash is almost even with
the lens.
This puts the light source off to the side which makes for a more
natural look
than the shadowless "caught in the headlights" spotlight look of the
ring flash
or the twin-light units (Ok, so I can't afford them).

As you might guess this all makes for a very heavy rig which makes it
tough
for long sessions. It'll give ya quite a workout, especially in the
back yard on
humid 95° days like we had yesterday. Sometimes, if I'm not working
in tight
spaces (like bushes) I'll screw the whole rig into my monopod for a bit
more
stability and to give the arms a rest.
Monopods are not for wimps, btw.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:48:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:iiKqe.88606$Wr.81765@fed1read04...
> This is a great shot, Bret.
> Interesting little yellow blob sticking out just in front of the hind
> quarters...
>

Used for balance - instead of a second pair of wings I think.

John
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:33:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Annika1980 wrote:
>
> >> Yes, even a really nice background!
>
> >Yes, I agree! Bret, was that shot taken handheld or using a tripod? What
> >type of flash setup are you using? Keep up the great macro shots I love em.
>
> It was a handheld shot (tripods are for wimps!).
> My latest contraption consists of the 20D mounted on a Stroboframe
> Quick-Flip
> bracket. The 550EX flash is mounted on the bracket via the off-shoe
> cord, and
> is flipped down so that the softbox on the flash is almost even with
> the lens.
> This puts the light source off to the side which makes for a more
> natural look
> than the shadowless "caught in the headlights" spotlight look of the
> ring flash
> or the twin-light units (Ok, so I can't afford them).
>
> As you might guess this all makes for a very heavy rig which makes it
> tough
> for long sessions. It'll give ya quite a workout, especially in the
> back yard on
> humid 95° days like we had yesterday. Sometimes, if I'm not working
> in tight
> spaces (like bushes) I'll screw the whole rig into my monopod for a bit
> more
> stability and to give the arms a rest.
> Monopods are not for wimps, btw.


Hello

Good Photograph. Try setting the flash so that it is the 10 O'clock
position or on the opposite side. This will simulate sunlight and make
it look even more natural.

Mike Engles
!