Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Replacing GeForce6150 LE, best cards for the job?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 7:15:26 PM

Any help is really aprreciated! :na: 

Computer specs: HP Pavilion a1600n

Motherboard: MSI Mainboard

Power Supply: SPEED-450ATX

SPEED Switching Power Supply
Model: SPEED-450ATX (450WMAX)

Vac-
INPUT
_____
VOLTAGE 115/230V

CURRENT 10A/5A

FREQUENCY
60/50Hz

Vdc
MAX DC
OUTPUT
______
+3.3 - 28A
+5 - 40A
+12 - 18A

-12 - 1.0A
-5 - 1.0A
+5SB - 3.0A

BLK - COM
GRN - P-ON
GRY - PG

P4

Budget: Around 100 dollars

Have been mostly considering: Radeon HD 6770 Graphics Card

This is to replace the integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE currently installed. I run my AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ at an overclock of 2.35 GHz from standard 2.00 GHz without a problem.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 8:15:04 PM

You only have 18 amps on the +12v rail which would be a little light for a 6770. You could do a 6670 though. I have an MSI myself, but Sapphire is also good.
Score
January 20, 2012 8:24:12 PM

Yes your psu might be a little underpowered for a 6770. Go for the 6670 as stated above. It will be ALOT beter than your integrated graphics. Also does your psu even have any 8-pin or 4-pin pci-e plugs?
Score
Related resources
January 20, 2012 8:25:59 PM

joeblogs said:
Yes your psu might be a little underpowered for a 6770. Go for the 6670 as stated above. It will be ALOT beter than your integrated graphics. Also does your psu even have any 8-pin or 4-pin pci-e plugs?

I would be happy to answer, how can I check to see? :ange: 
Score
January 20, 2012 8:26:41 PM

tlmck said:
You only have 18 amps on the +12v rail which would be a little light for a 6770. You could do a 6670 though. I have an MSI myself, but Sapphire is also good.

So its on the lower scale, but it would work? :ouch: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 8:49:47 PM

joeblogs said:

Does not appear to although he could get adapters for that.

It is no matter as the 6670 does not require PCIe power plugs. It runs solely off the slot.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 8:50:43 PM

gotanyideas123 said:
So its on the lower scale, but it would work? :ouch: 

No to the 6770. Yes to the 6670.
Score
January 20, 2012 11:09:52 PM

tlmck said:
No to the 6770. Yes to the 6670.

Hmm, I'm confused. I've had another user on another post say it would run fine. Are you guys saying it would be a tight fit for the 6770 or that it definitely will not work? :heink: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 3:59:11 AM

The 6770 draws much more power than the 6670. If you had a more modern, better quality 450 watt power supply you could run the 6770.

As it is you have an older style, lower quality 450watt that has most of it's amperage on the +3.3v and +5v rails. Most modern units have more amperage on the +12v rails for video cards.

While your power supply may actually run a 6770 initially, it would likely not last very long, and being an older style, it would likely fail and take your motherboard and new video card with it.

You can read this article and judge for yourself. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specif...
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 4:03:39 AM

the 6770 might not work, not really worth the risk. your psu is really weak.

the 6670 will likely work so its what is recommended.
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 4:15:38 AM

the 6670 is a lot faster than the 440.
Score
January 21, 2012 11:31:45 AM

tlmck said:
The 6770 draws much more power than the 6670. If you had a more modern, better quality 450 watt power supply you could run the 6770.

As it is you have an older style, lower quality 450watt that has most of it's amperage on the +3.3v and +5v rails. Most modern units have more amperage on the +12v rails for video cards.

While your power supply may actually run a 6770 initially, it would likely not last very long, and being an older style, it would likely fail and take your motherboard and new video card with it.

You can read this article and judge for yourself. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specif...

Last thing before I go for it! :bounce: 

What about the HD Radeon 5770, how does it compare to the HD Radeon 6670. I've decided to follow your advice on the safe side and avoid the HD 6770.

I saw the recommendation for the 440, but do you guys know of any other cards that would be a better choice than the HD Radeon 6670?

I would like to play Napolron Total War (specs) on medium/high graphics. Is the system up to the job with this card and maybe another stick of 2GB RAM? :hello:  Thanks!
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 12:41:34 PM

The 5770 is just an older version of the 6770. You would have the same issues. I just tested my 6670 card at the "Can your run it" site. It exceeds the highest spec for that game. Yourswill run a bit slower because of your slower CPU, but it should still be enough.

The ram will help also.
Score
January 21, 2012 1:39:40 PM

tlmck said:
The 5770 is just an older version of the 6670. You would have the same issues. I just tested my 6670 card at the "Can your run it" site. It exceeds the highest spec for that game. Yourswill run a bit slower because of your slower CPU, but it should still be enough.

The ram will help also.

It's strange, several reviews show the older 5770 better than the 6670. I'l take your word for it and try a 6670? I think that's the best option? :ange: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 3:25:59 PM

As stated in many ways previously, if you had a better power supply you could run the faster 5770 or 6770 cards. However, what we are trying to do here is get you the most powerful video card that your power supply can handle without fear of blowing it up.

The 6670 will not blow up your computer, but the others might. I do not know how to make it any clearer.
Score
January 21, 2012 3:52:07 PM

tlmck said:
As stated in many ways previously, if you had a better power supply you could run the faster 5770 or 6770 cards. However, what we are trying to do here is get you the most powerful video card that your power supply can handle without fear of blowing it up.

The 6670 will not blow up your computer, but the others might. I do not know how to make it any clearer.

6670 is the best way to go, thanks for all your posts. Sorry about all my questions, I'm clearly a newbie. :) 

At the store site, there are so many variations of it (see here)! Which one am I supposed to choose?
Score
January 21, 2012 4:00:55 PM

joeblogs said:

450W is not low for that configuration, if it is real 450W.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 4:20:24 PM

No problems with the questions, it is just that you were kind of asking the same one in a different way several times. Ah, but this is how we learn. :) 

This card looks the the best deal there if you do not mind the rebate. And it appears you get a free game with it. The cards that say they have DDR3 or the brand name Power Color are the ones to avoid. The DDR3 is older ram, and makes the card slower than the ones with the newer DDR5.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 4:26:36 PM

atombytes said:
450W is not low for that configuration, if it is real 450W.

For modern video cards it is less about wattage and more about amperage on the +12 volt rail. Even at 450 watts, he has an older style power supply that supplies most of it's amperage to the +3.3v and +5v rail, leaving little for video cards which run off the +12v rail.
Score
January 21, 2012 5:27:38 PM

tlmck said:
No problems with the questions, it is just that you were kind of asking the same one in a different way several times. Ah, but this is how we learn. :) 

This card looks the the best deal there if you do not mind the rebate. And it appears you get a free game with it. The cards that say they have DDR3 or the brand name Power Color are the ones to avoid. The DDR3 is older ram, and makes the card slower than the ones with the newer DDR5.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

I'm also getting RAM, newegg or tigerdirect are fine, so basically better price. I was looking for a 2GB to add to the computer. Any RAM recommendations in specific?

Do you mind me asking what the difference between a GDDR5 GPU is and one with just DDR5?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 6:56:47 PM

GDDR is video ram. I abbreviated as that speed ram is not used as main computer ram yet. So when you see the 5 on the end, you'll know somebody is talking about video ram. In fact, in the old days, we used to call it VRAM.

For the 2gb of system ram, it would be helpful to know what kind you have in there already. Specifically the brand, speed or part number, and number of sticks you currently have in there. Is it a single 1gb stick? Two 1gb sticks? A single 2gb stick?

There should be a little sticker on the side of it that has this information, or sometimes they will stamp it in tiny letters on one side. This important, because we need to match it as closely as possible. If you start mixing different ram, it can lead to problems.
Score
January 21, 2012 8:05:52 PM

tlmck said:
GDDR is video ram. I abbreviated as that speed ram is not used as main computer ram yet. So when you see the 5 on the end, you'll know somebody is talking about video ram. In fact, in the old days, we used to call it VRAM.

For the 2gb of system ram, it would be helpful to know what kind you have in there already. Specifically the brand, speed or part number, and number of sticks you currently have in there. Is it a single 1gb stick? Two 1gb sticks? A single 2gb stick?

There should be a little sticker on the side of it that has this information, or sometimes they will stamp it in tiny letters on one side. This important, because we need to match it as closely as possible. If you start mixing different ram, it can lead to problems.

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB (1024MB)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec

Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 21, 2012 8:14:42 PM

you should try for 2x1 gb at least, 3x1 gb if you want to spend more money. your motherboard might not take 2gb sticks. also remember to get ddr2 ram.

and the 6670 is probably your best option in graphics, its the most powerful card that would most likely run on your psu and its priced nicely compared to other similar cards.

even if you go for a more powerful card, your cpu might be too weak to run the card at max efficiency.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 6:12:09 AM

gotanyideas123 said:
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB (1024MB)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec

Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Yes this is what the spec calls for, but does not tell me what is actually in there.

At any rate, this ram is good and will work with your system. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

However, the new ram may not play nice with the old ram stick that is already in there. If you start getting a lot of errors or weird things happening, this will probably be the case. The best way to fix it, is to take out the old stick of ram and buy another one of the new ones. That way they will match.

It is also a good idea to install the new ram in the system and make sure it is working properly before you install the new video card. Otherwise, you may create a large headache for yourself.
Score
January 22, 2012 11:23:35 AM

Best answer selected by gotanyideas123.
Score
January 22, 2012 11:24:41 AM

tlmck said:
Yes this is what the spec calls for, but does not tell me what is actually in there.

At any rate, this ram is good and will work with your system. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

However, the new ram may not play nice with the old ram stick that is already in there. If you start getting a lot of errors or weird things happening, this will probably be the case. The best way to fix it, is to take out the old stick of ram and buy another one of the new ones. That way they will match.

It is also a good idea to install the new ram in the system and make sure it is working properly before you install the new video card. Otherwise, you may create a large headache for yourself.

Thanks for al your help, I'll make sure to get the RAM in before the video card. Thanks again! :D 
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 11:55:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!