Your question

Just upgraded to i7-3770k, and...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2012 11:17:30 AM

So, just bit the bullet and decided to do a long overdue upgrade. Before I had:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
8 GB RAM
Decent NVidia graphics card (can't remember)
Asus P5Q Pro mainboard
Windows 7 x64 booted on 64GB SSD
Several hard disks in various raid configurations

700 Euros later and I now have:

Intel i7-3770k
16GB DDR3-1600
Intel HD Graphics 4000
SRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional mainboard
Windows 7 x64 on 64GB SSD
Hard disks in various raid configurations

And I just have to be honest, I haven't noticed that much of an improvement - certainly not the type of wow factor that you expect 700 Euros to buy. Yes, things react a little snappier, but apart from decoding videos a little quicker in VirtualDub, there just isn't that great of an improvement.

Am I the only one going through bottleneck disappointment? I mean, what's the point buying top of the line CPUs with 8 threads at 3.5Ghz if everything's going to be held back by hardware bottleneck?

More about : upgraded 3770k

a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 11:23:48 AM

The only thing that wud have a difference in your system is the i7-3770k.
8GB is already excessive ram, pushing that to 16GB is just a waste of money :)  Plus u should have stuck with the i5-3570k; HT doesn't justify an extra $100 :D  On top of that, if u had something like a Geforce 9800 before, dropping down to HD 4000 graphics is actually DOWNGRADING !!!

Looks like u just blew away your money, coz u don't appreciate the value of it. You probably wud have felt better donating that money to charity :)  But then, thats ur choice, so who am i to say ?!!
July 10, 2012 11:51:13 AM

$hawn said:
Looks like u just blew away your money, coz u don't appreciate the value of it.

Well, that's kinda harsh, isn't it?

It actually took me two weeks to decide to upgrade. Read through all the forums, looked at all the CPU benchmark tests, checked all the prices online, etc. I didn't just want something that I'd end up wanting to upgrade again in a year - the whole bang for the buck thing.

My neighbor just also bought a new system today, i5-2500k, 8GB, etc., and after installing setting it up for him and installing AutoCAD I also didn't notice any appreciable difference between his system and mine. My point is, the industry is obsessed with faster processors, more cores, more memory, but if your hard disk's still moving files at one-millionth the speed of the most modest CPU, then the fastest processor is just a waste of money.

This became a glaring fact after doing my upgrade and checking out my neighbor's new PC.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 12:00:43 PM

Well, it all depends on your usage.

If you are mostly browsing, doing simple office work and watching movies, then what you had would still serve you well.

You mention encoding and for that you should have seen a massive improvement.

For gaming, well, if you do not have a dedicated graphics card, you are using the HD4000 which is not well suited for gaming.
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 2:51:15 PM

Hepkat said:
Well, that's kinda harsh, isn't it?

My point is, the industry is obsessed with faster processors, more cores, more memory, but if your hard disk's still moving files at one-millionth the speed of the most modest CPU, then the fastest processor is just a waste of money.
This became a glaring fact after doing my upgrade and checking out my neighbor's new PC.

Yea dude...guess i was....i apologize. :)  Your point is very valid :) 
July 10, 2012 4:08:00 PM

If you have some money left go for AT LEAST a GTX 550 Ti GPU for around £100/$160 or 7870 if you can go further, although a 560 Ti would be good.
July 10, 2012 4:27:32 PM

I agree with $hawn and dangas...With that budget the best and more balanced approach is to get the i5-3570, 8GB Ram and a cheaper motherboard like Asus P8Z77-V...You would save close enough to get a GTX 560 Ti and it would be a great all round machine

Dont get me wrong, you have a nice PC. I think your several HDD are slowing you down a bit, what hard disk drive do you have installed?

if you have more budget in the coming moths, is a good option is to keep the i7-3770k and expend more on a better SSD like Samsung 820 128GB/256GB and new GPU

!