Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help! A Diablo 3 Machine Build

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 1:35:09 AM

Hello,

My existing computer is probably somewhere between 7 and 10 years old (can't remember). It was built for me by an old acquaintance, but today I know no computer savvy people personally. So I'm turning to you all! Basically what I am looking for is a machine that will run Diablo 3. I assume if it can do that it will be able to handle Netflix and Hulu, which is all else i'd really be doing with it. I'd love to use as much of the current machine as possible but seeing as how its ancient as far as computer hardware goes, I will understand if the recommandation is to go all new. I am fairly confident the tower will suffice though (description below). I've also provided my current machine's hardware below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Early May at the latest

Budget Range: $400 - 600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Diablo 3, Netflix/Hulu, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using [See Below]**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: I'm clueless, anything suggested is good enough for me.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I don't have an OS to install, can i continue to use my current HDD (listed below)? Quiet fans would be nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a list of my current hardware in my machine (running Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP3):

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU - 2.40 GHz

Motherboard:
ASUS P4S800 SiS 963Lua

RAM:
Patriot PSD1G400 Signature DDR 1GB PC3200

HDD:
Samsung SP1213N 120 GB

DVD ROM:
Lite-On DVD/RW SOHW 1673S

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB DDR3 Dual DVI TV

Audio Card:
Creative

Power Supply:
Turbolink Switching Power Supply
Model: 420 ATX - 12V (420W max)

The tower I'm using has no branding I can find, but I will describe it's dimensions and provide pictures if necessary:
The following measurements are INSIDE the case:
7.5" Wide
20" Tall
16.5" Deep
The motherboard tray is 10" x 13"
I believe it's ATX form factor, since that is what's written on the Power Supply.
5 HDD slots and 5 DiscDrive slots
1 top fan slot, 1 side fan slot, 2 rear fan slots and 2 front fan slots (3" diameter)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I think that's everything. I'm looking forward to any/all responses and am grateful for everyone's generosity and help!

Tim

More about : diablo machine build

Best solution

March 27, 2012 1:58:26 AM

Welcome to our community!
Here:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

If you need a new case, I can adjust the build.

March 27, 2012 2:43:04 AM

obsama-

what else can i say but Thank You! Thats great! I may have to place the order this weekend.

Again, thank you! :D 
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 2:52:45 AM

Can't wait for diablo 3, I to am building my first gaming comp too
m
l
March 27, 2012 3:09:43 AM

No problem.
Anytime. :) 
m
l
March 27, 2012 3:30:19 AM

Znoel87 said:
Can't wait for diablo 3, I to am building my first gaming comp too

Bagged silverado on 22's. Nice
m
l
March 27, 2012 4:06:09 AM

I'm a little apprehensive about the HIS Radeon HD 6850. I've been reading through the user reviews and it seems to have a lot of fan trouble. Seems like nearly everyone had to RMA it at least once. Can you/somebody recommend other suitable options?

Thanks
m
l
March 27, 2012 5:50:13 PM

A good start is the system builders marathon. Add \ remove items based on sales ect. If you do not want to dig through benchmarks looking for parts just look through the cases \ power supplies. Might be able to get some diablo 3 benchmarks from the demo but this is reliable as it sounds. Games like skyrim jumped from 20fps to 60 with patches and a new amd driver.

Be sure to also check out overclocking, this can save some money and be done with little to no voltage increase!!

Anywho, hope this helps.
m
l
March 27, 2012 8:01:25 PM

Ok will change it.
m
l
March 27, 2012 8:08:34 PM

Changed to a Gigabyte one. Gigabyte is pretty reliable and it has 4 stars and 293 reviews. It's also cheaper than the others. Besides, Diablo reccomends a 6670, so you'll get over 100 FPS with a 6850. Will also let you play other games like Crysis, BF3, etc. if you want.
m
l
March 28, 2012 12:51:03 AM

besides gigabyte try out sapphire it's a great brand
m
l
March 28, 2012 12:57:59 AM

Yeah, Sapphire's good, but the Gigabyte one has two fans, plus its cheaper.
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:28:00 AM

obsama1 said:
Yeah, Sapphire's good, but the Gigabyte one has two fans, plus its cheaper.

Remember that nvidia cards tend to run better on blizzard games you should wait until last minute to see if any more of the nvidia 600 series comes out but that is just my opinion
m
l
March 28, 2012 8:39:09 PM

Diablo 3 isn't very demanding, besides, it doesn't matter if you get 5 more FPS if the FPS is over 60.
m
l
March 29, 2012 2:06:22 AM

Obsama, ltpenguin, tavo_nova, drew: Thanks for all your continued input.

I have been tinkering around a little bit and also reading the two build spec articles here on the website (the $650 and $1250 builds) and looking at the motherboard/video card combos they suggest and have a question.

In the 1250 build, they use the ASRock P67 Pro3 SE motherboard and a Radeon HD 7970. When i'm looking on Newegg.com at the mobo, it seems to only have PCI Express x1 and PCI Express 2.0 slots, but the 7970 is listed as a PCI Express 3.0. What am i missing? Similar situation with the $650 build. The GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V motherboard has PCI Express 3.0 and PCI Express x1 slots, while the HD 6950 is a PCI Express 2.1 interface. Am i to understand that these components will work together?

How do you feel about the ASRock P67 Pro3 SE, would it work well in the build you suggested to be (replacing the ASRock Z68 Extreme3), since it would save me another $25?

Also, I was looking at video cards and came across the HD 6870 (by Sapphire, specifically). Is that even a necessary "upgrade" from the 6850 considering we're just talking about playing Diablo 3?
m
l
March 29, 2012 3:05:17 AM

PCIE is fully compatible with other versions. A PCIE 1.0 card will work in 3.0 slot, 3.0 card will work in 2.0 card, etc. They're all fully compatible. Period. Version x will work in a y slot. Howwever, for future upgrades, keep the Extreme 3. If you want to save, go ahead. And 6870? A 6850 is slightly overkill for Diablo 3 so a 6870 is REALLY overkill. If you want to play other games, the 6850 will play on high settings.
m
l
March 29, 2012 4:05:14 PM

obsama1 said:
PCIE is fully compatible with other versions. A PCIE 1.0 card will work in 3.0 slot, 3.0 card will work in 2.0 card, etc. They're all fully compatible. Period. Version x will work in a y slot. Howwever, for future upgrades, keep the Extreme 3. If you want to save, go ahead. And 6870? A 6850 is slightly overkill for Diablo 3 so a 6870 is REALLY overkill. If you want to play other games, the 6850 will play on high settings.

Very interesting, i'm going to have to do some reading on PCIE now and understand it more fully. I'll definitely stick with the 6850 then. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Would it make sense to wait on buying the 6850 until closer to May as it may drop it price? I assume all the other components won't be changing price significantly in the next month.5?

Right now i've got your suggested build from the wishlist link above minus the optical drive. As i see it now, I don't need one since I plan on going the digital download route.
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:35:16 PM

Well I suggest waiting a bit. The 560Ti and 6870 will drop in price and you could probably get them for the price of a 6850, and the 6850 will drop further. If you really need it now, go for it. In June, when Ivy Bridge comes out there will be an i3 Ivy bridge which will perform 20% better than the i3 I suggested above. Plus, it will be the same price. The motherboard might drop a few dollars when IvyBridge mobos come out. Otherwise, that's it.
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:37:11 PM

Best answer selected by line6ix.
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:39:17 PM

Good to know, thanks to obsama and everyone else too!
m
l
March 29, 2012 10:44:17 PM

Again, no problem. :) 
If you need anymore help, feel free to ask!
m
l
!