Sign in with
Your question

Looking at this build for gaming. Advice?

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 1:48:19 AM

Possible build, looking for some advice (hopefully a "yea that looks good!")

Used for gaming, (FPS / Warcraft / Oblivion etc..)
Max budget about 1400-1500
Purchasing hopefully in about a week or two.

CyberPower Z68 Configurator (NO MONITOR)
CFGP67Z, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_Z68_Confi...
*BASE_PRICE: [+709]

CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]

CAS: In-Win Mana 136 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-5] (Black Color [+0])

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+116]

CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Red Color [+0])

FAN: EVGA Superclock CPU Gaming Cooler Fan [+13]

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Intel Z68 mATX Mainboard w/ ROG Connect, Lucid Virtu and Intel SRT & 7.1 SupremeFX Audio, Intel GbLAN, HDMI, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2x Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X4 (All Venom OC Certified) [+96]

MOUSE: Corsair Vengeance M60 Performance FPS Laser Gaming Mouse [+0]

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 1,200 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 80 Plus Gold Power Supply ( 80 Plus Gold) [+167]

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+166] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

_PRICE: (+1468)

Looking at it through CyberPower at the moment. Does anyone recommend anything be changed/things I should definitely NOT get etc?

(For instance, wasnt sure if the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1G video card was better than the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2G card..)

I really appreciate any input you guys can offer! Thanks!!

-Jordan

More about : build gaming advice

March 27, 2012 2:28:23 AM

Your build would perform as well with an i5-2500k for gaming, for 100$ less. Games don't use hyperthreading, and if I remember well, from some benchmarks I saw a couple months ago, in some games the 2600k (has HT) didn't perform as well as the 2500k. So I'd suggest putting that extra 100$ on a better gfx card.
March 27, 2012 2:46:32 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

And you mentioned the 2600k, but my build had the 2700.. Did that not fare as well as the i5 in benchmarks as well? (Not sure if that was an oversight, or they both fell into the same category)

Also forgot to mention, I'm a Mech. Engineering student, so I'll be using a myriad of other software such as CAD/Solidworks and other design software (3ds Max and photoshop for fun etc) and I'd heard that the 2700 would be better for things like that. Was that a correct assumption?

I figured that CAD and similar programs would be short term memory/GPU intensive, but those to me are more easily "upgradable" later; another stick or two of RAM, a Second Videocard down the road etc.

Just wasn't sure what a good trade off/better option would be in my case. Student status has high priority, but I'll never be able to sacrifice on my games >.<

-Jordan
Related resources
March 27, 2012 2:56:33 AM

You don't need a 1200 Watt power supply for a GTX 560 and an i7 2700k. For dual gtx 560's and an overclocked 2700k, a 750 Watt Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, or XFX power supply would be plenty.

The motherboard seems weird. Z68 is a good choice, but why Micro Atx? The case is a midtower and will fit an ATX board, which will probably give you more expansion slots.

Not sure about that case, but a google search shows it MSRP for a bit more than it looks like it's worth (when compared to a HAF 912 or 922).

For the operating system, you might want to check your school's bookstore and see if you can get a discounted upgrade disk (which is pretty easy to use as a full install). Also, microsoft offers discounts to students with a valid .edu email address.

As a side note: you are probably very busy, but building this yourself would be the best option here.
March 27, 2012 2:56:53 AM

Oh ok, well then yes you will benefit from HT and should keep the 2700k. You won't have a problem running all the games you want with the 2700k, it's just that, not knowing you'd use all these cpu intensive programs, the performance gains would have been more noticable by spending that extra 100$ on a better gfx card.

The 560 ti is good to run any game you want too, at pretty much highest settings, depending on your resolution. Getting the 2gb version would probably make you more futureproof (and is better if you have a high resolution), especially if you want to crossfire someday instead of spending more money on a new single card.
March 27, 2012 3:01:29 AM

I think if you can get a different case, get the discount on your OS, scale back the motherboard to something like a Gigabyte UD3H Z68, and get a more sensible power supply, there's no reason you shouldn't redirect that money to a faster single card. A 560 Ti is nice, but a 7870 is nicer (performs like a gtx 580 but MSRP's at $350).

As for SLI/Crossfire: you run the risk of noticing microstuttering, driver issues (sli/crossfire not supported in some game you want to play), and you then have two old GPUs which are less efficient and noisier than a single next-gen gpu.
March 27, 2012 10:58:33 PM

Thank you! That was my dumb mistake, didn't mean to select the micro board..

Here was the one I had selected in the build above,

[CrossFireX/SLI] Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Intel Z68 mATX Mainboard w/ ROG Connect, Lucid Virtu and Intel SRT & 7.1 SupremeFX Audio, Intel GbLAN, HDMI, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2x Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X4 (All Venom OC Certified) [-33]

(This is the one I meant to select, was right below it in the list)

[CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ BT GO! Lucid Virtu and Intel SRT & 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2x Gen3 & 1x Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [-35]

And a few people have mentioned that doing the self build would be better, but I literally will have no time on my hands until this coming winter (Even to game unfortunately, I've set aside the world of video games for the next few months). My apartment was broken into, and my computer along with some other less important things were stolen, so I'm in dire need of a computer. Had been looking at building one soon anyway, unfortunately this just jump-started the process sooner.

So I'm thinking that from CyberPower buying in bulk, their prices on many of the components were cheaper than I could find online from reputable sources. In trying to build this similar rig myself through ordering individual parts online, I couldn't get it to add up to their offered price. Plus the convenience of it being built for me, on top of me not being an "expert builder", and getting a warranty along with it just seemed like the best option. I can survive on the Campus' Library PC's for a few weeks, but I still wouldn't have time to do the build myself. I haven't really messed with building a computer since about 2003-2004 back when I started high school, and things are probably a bit more complicated since then. (Wasn't even building a gaming rig, just throwing together a hodge-podge of parts and making it functional for a class)

And CyberPower has the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for only 104, that was comparable by only a few bucks difference to what I would get discounted at the bookstore, so I figured just easier to go with them and have it installed and ready when it arrives.

As far as the cases:

* Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display (Black Color with Black Ring & Blue LED Fan) [+0]
* Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display (Black Color with 200mm UV Blue LED Fan) [+5]
* Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window & MultiMeter Display (Black Color) [+8]
* Apevia X-Trooper LED Light Mid-Tower Case w/ Side Window (Blue LED Light Color) [+5]
Azza Orion Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel (Black with Red Lightning) [-3]
Azza Toledo 301 Gaming Mid-Tower Case [+5]
-------------(Currently Selected)In-Win Mana 136 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
NZXT Black Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-10]
NZXT M59 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Window [-2]
NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case (White Color) [+43]
CoolerMaster Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-6]
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color) [+5]
* Raidmax Blade Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Black Color) [+2]
* Raidmax Aeolus Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window [+9]
* Raidmax Helios Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window [+9]
* Raidmax Blackstorm Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ 180MM Side-Panel Fan and One-Click Side Panel (White Color) [+29]
Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color) [-10]
SilverStone FT02 Fortress Series Full Tower All Aluminum Body Case w/ Right-Sided See-Thru Window [+184]

These were the other options without going to a full tower, so of them, is the In-Win mana still an alright choice? Or is one definitely better than another as far as airflow/features etc. I'm not a fan of a few due to them resembling something out of a Transformers movie haha. But if one is definitely better than another, then I may decide to live with Optimus chilling on my shelf.

(NOTE edited this post section: Had the wrong case selected on screen from the CP site, so the price changes reflected were not correct. The above price changes in brackets are the difference I would pay for a different case selection.)

As far as downgrading the power supply:

* 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [-70]
750 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX750 Gold 80 Plus Power Supply [-24]
* 750 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-750M [-92]
[March Madness Sale - Free Upgrade from 750W TR2 PSU] 750 Watts - Thermaltake Smart Series SP-750M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply [-92]
750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-750M Gold Modular 80 Plus Power Supply [-12]
775 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M Modular 80 Plus Power Supply [-60]
800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-126]
800 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 80 Plus Power Supply (80+ Gold) [-41]
850 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-120]
850 Watts - Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [-94]
* 850 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: W0319RU [-71]
[March Madness Sale - Free Upgrade from 850W TR2 PSU] 850 Watts - Thermaltake Smart Series SP-850M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply [-71]
[FREE upgrade from Thermaltake 750W PSU] * 850 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M Gold Modular 80 Plus Power Supply [-12]
* 850 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply [-51]
* 850 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold Power Supply (80+ Gold) [+7]
[March Madness Sale - FREE Upgrade from CMPSU-750TXV2] * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [-70]
850 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX850 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+0]
850 Watts - NZXT HALE90 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [-31]
1,000 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [-100]
1,000 Watts - Raidmax RX-1000AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [-82]
1,000 Watts - SilverStone ST1000 1000W ATX 80 Plus Active PFC Power Supply [+0]
* 1,000 Watts - Thermaltake TP-1000M ToughPower Modular, 80 Plus Silver Certified, Quad SLI Ready, CrossfireX Ready & Active PFC Power Supply [+55]
1,000 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-1000M [-20]
1,000 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 80 Plus Power Supply ( 80 Plus Gold) [+0]
* 1050 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold Power Supply (80+ Gold) [+55]
* 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+40]
* 1,050 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1050M Gold Modular 80 Plus Power Supply [+65]
1,200 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX1200 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+99]
[FREE Upgrade from CoolerMaster 1,000W PSU] 1,200 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 80 Plus Gold Power Supply ( 80 Plus Gold)

I have the last one selected right now, and the price variations as far as changing to another one are bracketed after each option. So out of this list is there one that would be better suited, and is it worth the money saved for now?

As Far as the videocard: (------- is the one I have currently selected)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [-166] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [-86] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [-20] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA) [-66] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+0] More Brand ...
----------[March Madness Sale] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card
[Free upgrade from 560 1GB Video] Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA
[March Madness Sale - Free upgrade from Major Brand] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+41] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA GeForce 448 Cores Classified Powered by NVIDIA) [+127] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+90] More Brand ...
[March Madness Sale] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+160] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA) [+214] More Brand ...
[March Madness Sale - Free upgrade from Major Brand] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+300] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+430] More Brand ...
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) [+405] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 5450 512MB DDR2 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-180] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-175] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-151] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-145] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-106] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-100] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6790 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-86] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-70] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-43] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (HIS IceQ X Turbo 840MHz Powered by AMD) [+98] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-101] More Brand ...
[March Madness Sale] AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [-101] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [+60] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [+182] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [+296] More Brand ...
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) [+414] More Brand ...

So for the money saved from possibly downgrading the power supply, and the video cards at price differences listed above, is there another that would be better suited?

I'm not the kind of gamer who would notice the difference between 50 and 53 fps, so paying to upgrade to a "slightly" better card now just doesn't seem worth it to me, I'd probably just prefer to wait a couple years and buy a much better single card to replace the 560 2G (But that's my non-expert brain's thinking, so correct me if I'm wrong)

I just figured if going to SLI was better down the road, that the power supply would be better suited. A few people had mentioned something about the higher end "single" cards being better off on something higher than 800W so I figured better to get that now and be able to upgrade my card later without worry of power supply, rather than get a slightly better card now, and have to get a better power supply on top of a better card in a few years.

So I know this was a crap ton of questions and a lot of text.. and I apologize for it! But again, I appreciate all the help, It's hectic with everything going on, so your guy's input is really helping me get it all straightened out.

Thank you!!

-Jordan
March 28, 2012 1:28:23 AM

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: Corsair 750TXV2

That will be plenty for dual graphics cards. The trend is less power, more performance. The newest generation cards are made using a 28 nm process and are more efficient than previous generation. Here are some numbers:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-78...

GPU: 7850 or 7870
March 28, 2012 3:28:14 AM

Ok, so everyone I previously talked to recommended nVidia GPU's as opposed to AMD's. Something about them usually having driver issues etc. Is there any merit to that? I've just been on the notion that nVidia is typically better, hence my staying away from the AMD cards.

Everything I find online basically says "it all comes down to personal preference, which gives me no help since I haven't built a preference!

And there would be no drawback to going with a lesser power supply? Nothing else down the road that i'd add in and go "crap, which I had a bigger PSU.."? (Adding another card, water cooling, not sure what else, I'm not as familiar with it all, so I'm not sure what power other things may typically draw..)

"Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 7850 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit and 650 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.
Radeon HD 7870 - On your average system the cards require you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum and 700 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina."

So is their recommendation of 700 for crossfire still good with the GPU and CPU overclocked? Thats where my worry comes in, adding tweaks here and there that may tip the limit.

-Jordan
March 28, 2012 5:20:19 AM

The driver problems are mostly a thing of the past. Those people probably had bad experiences with AMD drivers in the 3000 and 4000 series, maybe. But it's not a big deal with the 7 series. Not a deciding factor. The similarly performing Nvidia GPU (to the 7870) is the gtx 580 at about $120 more.

If you want the ability to run dual 7870's overclocked, with an overclocked i7 2700k with the CPU under water cooling, then get the Corsair AX850.
!