Sign in with
Your question

Best 4 pin to PCI-e power adaptor for Crossfire.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 8:01:40 PM

I'm planning on adding another HD4870 to my system to run crossfire, and found that with my Raidmax 700w power supply, I need two more PCI-e power connectors to power the other card. What would be the best type of connector to use to accomplish this (short of a new power supply with four PCI-e power connectors)?

I would like to add that I have all of the components necessary to make one myself, so custom suggestions would not be out of the realm of possibility (perhaps even preferred).

This is what I have to work with, I assume the top row is all +12, and the bottom row is ground.

a c 694 ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 8:15:44 PM

The best ones accept two 4pin molex! Your Raidmax might be pushed close to its limits running two of those cards, they are not exactly considered quality. The best solution is getting a quality PSU with enough connectors!
m
l
January 20, 2012 8:33:29 PM

rolli59 said:
The best ones accept two 4pin molex! Your Raidmax might be pushed close to its limits running two of those cards, they are not exactly considered quality. The best solution is getting a quality PSU with enough connectors!

Yeah, I thought my Raidmax would be borderline.

I does have four +12v rails rated at 18A max (according to the manual that came with it) though, so it might be enough....
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2012 8:35:58 PM

Would making something similar to this work?

Planned use would be use one PCI-e power for each card, and use the Y-adaptor for the other two that are left over to hopefully spread the load out as evenly as possible. As far as other loads, I have two disc drives, an SSD, an HDD, and five case fans (4 120mm fans, and a 200mm fan.
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
January 20, 2012 8:44:30 PM

I would rather make it into 2 x a single molex to a single PCIe connector!
m
l
January 20, 2012 8:54:46 PM

Buy a proper PSU!
m
l
!