Nokia 6310i - Serial conection cable

I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using the
cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has USB
connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to the
phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters
3 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6310i serial conection cable

    "John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using the
    > cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has USB
    > connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
    the
    > phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters

    You can get a USB data cable - there going for £6 on eBay!

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4180948482&category=42407

    HTH

    "Mr.Muppster" <garystacey_THEOBVIOUS@talk21.com> wrote in message
    > "John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using
    the
    > > cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has
    USB
    > > connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
    > the
    > > phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters
    > >

    > You can get a USB data cable - there going for £6 on eBay!

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4180948482&category=42407

    > HTH

    Or you could get a bluetooth dongle for the laptop - this way if you change
    your phone in the furture you won't have a problem looking for a new cable
    again.

    HTH

    "John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using
    the
    > cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has
    USB
    > connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
    the
    > phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters

    You could try a USB to serial adaptor, but some of them can be a little
    flaky. As the 6310i has bluetooth, I'd say your best bet would be a USB
    bluetooth adaptor, I use one from Belkin, which works ok. £24 from Argos
    at the moment..!

    Ivor

Nokia Laptops Cable