Nokia 6310i - Serial conection cable

Last response: in Brands
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 2:16:32 PM

I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using the
cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has USB
connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to the
phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 2:26:41 PM

"John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
> I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using the
> cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has USB
> connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
the
> phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters

You can get a USB data cable - there going for £6 on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=41...

HTH

a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 2:28:38 PM

"Mr.Muppster" <garystacey_THEOBVIOUS@talk21.com> wrote in message
> "John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using
the
> > cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has
USB
> > connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
> the
> > phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters
> >

> You can get a USB data cable - there going for £6 on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=41...

> HTH

Or you could get a bluetooth dongle for the laptop - this way if you change
your phone in the furture you won't have a problem looking for a new cable
again.

HTH

a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 11:38:25 PM

"John Waters" <johnwaters@pneumatictoolservices.co.uk> wrote in message
> I use my 6310i as a mobile modem with my laptop when travelling, using
the
> cable that connects to the serial port. My new "Dell" laptop only has
USB
> connections, no serial socket. Is it possible to connect this laptop to
the
> phone ?? ps No IrDA on the laptop either ??????? John Waters

You could try a USB to serial adaptor, but some of them can be a little
flaky. As the 6310i has bluetooth, I'd say your best bet would be a USB
bluetooth adaptor, I use one from Belkin, which works ok. £24 from Argos
at the moment..!

Ivor
!