Change all users Windows Explorer Folder views to Details

October 18, 2004 11:01:09 PM

Hi All,

We use Group Policies that removes Folder Options, so that means users will
not be able to change their Folder Views from the default of "Icons" to the
more useable view setting of "Details".

So what we want to do is change the default Folder Views to "Details" on all
folders for all users, can anyone provide any suggestions how we can
accomplish this task either by running a reg hack when a user next log on or
via a Group Policy (currently we are running Windows 2000, but will be
upgrading to Windows 2003 next week).

Thanks.
October 19, 2004 5:06:09 AM

For XP: I do have an edit that can do this; however, it is comes with
complexity. In the interim:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Windows Explorer/View/[Select Accordingly]. Then Tools/Folder
Options/View/Apply to All Folders.

As for W2K, check with the appropriate group!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Longo" <Longo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> We use Group Policies that removes Folder Options, so that means users
> will
> not be able to change their Folder Views from the default of "Icons" to
> the
> more useable view setting of "Details".
>
> So what we want to do is change the default Folder Views to "Details" on
> all
> folders for all users, can anyone provide any suggestions how we can
> accomplish this task either by running a reg hack when a user next log on
> or
> via a Group Policy (currently we are running Windows 2000, but will be
> upgrading to Windows 2003 next week).
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:39:05 PM

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for you help, and sorry about sending the message multiple times, but
everytime I tried posting the message I got an error message (as below), so I
did what the message said, which was to wait and try again later.

"An error occurred while sending your post"

Anyway, you mentioned you had an edit, if it's not too much trouble, could I
get that from you.

Thanks.

!