reusing a usb card reader without reseting the computer

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 11, 2005 9:51:22 PM

Hi, i am learning about digital photography. I am a newbie and got a 14-in-1
card reader for my sony cybershot. Funny thing is that for protect the
memory stick, when I finished to use the reader, I select the Stop the mass
storage unit option, so I can safely remove the MS. But if later I would
like to use it again, there is no reset button on the reader and I have to
reboot my computer so it recognizes again the card reader.

Is it possible to reset my reader after I selected the Stop option?

thx.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:06:06 AM

SF Javier wrote:
> Hi, i am learning about digital photography. I am a newbie and got a 14-in-1
> card reader for my sony cybershot. Funny thing is that for protect the
> memory stick, when I finished to use the reader, I select the Stop the mass
> storage unit option, so I can safely remove the MS. But if later I would
> like to use it again, there is no reset button on the reader and I have to
> reboot my computer so it recognizes again the card reader.
>
> Is it possible to reset my reader after I selected the Stop option?
>
> thx.

Hi,
Just unplug and plug the reader back in.
You don't have to stop the reader. You do it only when you want to
remove(unplug it). Any USB/firewire devices you can hot plug/unplug.
Just don't do it when the device is active like moving files.
Tony
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:06:07 AM

That means I dont have to stop the reader before I remove the memory stick?
I thought I was protecting my MS doing that.

thx

> Hi,
> Just unplug and plug the reader back in.
> You don't have to stop the reader. You do it only when you want to
> remove(unplug it). Any USB/firewire devices you can hot plug/unplug.
> Just don't do it when the device is active like moving files.
> Tony
Related resources
June 12, 2005 3:29:48 AM

Just don't remove the memory stick while it is being read or written to. You
can leave the card reader attached to the computer as long as you like.
However many computers will not be able to boot if there is a memory card in
the USB reader when you first turn the computer on so be sure there are no
cards left in the reader.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:30:29 AM

"SF Javier" <javier@sf.com> wrote in

> That means I dont have to stop the reader before I remove the memory
> stick? I thought I was protecting my MS doing that.

From what?
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:27:10 AM

Just remove the card when you are finished with transfer of pictures to your
camera. That is it! Do not stop or unplug anything.

Jan

"SF Javier" <javier@sf.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i am learning about digital photography. I am a newbie and got a
> 14-in-1 card reader for my sony cybershot. Funny thing is that for protect
> the memory stick, when I finished to use the reader, I select the Stop the
> mass storage unit option, so I can safely remove the MS. But if later I
> would like to use it again, there is no reset button on the reader and I
> have to reboot my computer so it recognizes again the card reader.
>
> Is it possible to reset my reader after I selected the Stop option?
>
> thx.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:26:09 AM

I think that you read about protecting the information on the MS during a
read or write process. If it is dormant or not being written to or read
from then it should be very safe to pull it out from the reader. I do it
all of the time with my MS and card reader. <g>

I have read that warning also but I seem to remember being instructed to use
the EJECT option under that drive's properties.

When you STOP the card reader you basically cut it off completely from the
computer. You should not have to do this. ;-)

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"SF Javier" <javier@sf.com> wrote in message
> That means I dont have to stop the reader before I remove the memory
> stick? I thought I was protecting my MS doing that.
>
> thx
>

>> Hi,
>> Just unplug and plug the reader back in.
>> You don't have to stop the reader. You do it only when you want to
>> remove(unplug it). Any USB/firewire devices you can hot plug/unplug.
>> Just don't do it when the device is active like moving files.
>> Tony

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:55:59 AM

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> I think that you read about protecting the information on the MS during a
> read or write process. If it is dormant or not being written to or read
> from then it should be very safe to pull it out from the reader. I do it
> all of the time with my MS and card reader. <g>
>
> I have read that warning also but I seem to remember being instructed to use
> the EJECT option under that drive's properties.
>
> When you STOP the card reader you basically cut it off completely from the
> computer. You should not have to do this. ;-)
>
> JMHO
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "SF Javier" <javier@sf.com> wrote in message
>
>>That means I dont have to stop the reader before I remove the memory
>>stick? I thought I was protecting my MS doing that.
>>
>>thx
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>Just unplug and plug the reader back in.
>>>You don't have to stop the reader. You do it only when you want to
>>>remove(unplug it). Any USB/firewire devices you can hot plug/unplug.
>>>Just don't do it when the device is active like moving files.
>>>Tony

Windows doesn't appreciate you just unplugging a device it considers a
disk drive, and will chide you if you do so. However, if you have a
multi-format card reader, you should NOT remove the device without
telling the system you want to. You should also be aware that if you do
the remove device process (USB devices), on an internal card reader, you
will have to reboot before it can be used again. Simply, you can just
pull the card out of the unit when you are done with it, and you are
SURE all activity has stopped. If you don't want to use the reader, and
intent to unplug it, you can also tell the system to remove it.
Reattaching it later will restore it to the device list. I have both
internal, and external readers, and it took a while to figure out the
best approach for them.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

In article <1118531350.9f372e674c2e1f1113c07f9425e1a71f@teranews>,
"SF Javier" <javier@sf.com> wrote:

> That means I dont have to stop the reader before I remove the memory stick?
> I thought I was protecting my MS doing that.

Its best to right-click on the card's icon and click on the eject button
then remove the card from the card reader. This assumes you are using
Windows.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:37:16 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 05:55:59 -0500, Ron Hunter
<rphunter@charter.net> wrote:
>Windows doesn't appreciate you just unplugging a device it considers a
>disk drive, and will chide you if you do so.

Not since XP Ron. You can change the default to make it
behave like the old Windows systems but by default the "safe
removal" procedure does absolutely nothing useful for a disk
device that identifies itself to the OS as removable.

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:23:31 PM

I always use the eject feature, this stops communication to the card, not
sure what it does as far as power to card.
Don't confuse this with the 'safely remove hardware' icon on the task bar.
Doing it that way disables the reader. You can recover by unplugging and
reconnecting the usb cable. I suspect this is what the op was referring to.
Dave Cohen

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Just don't remove the memory stick while it is being read or written to.
> You can leave the card reader attached to the computer as long as you
> like. However many computers will not be able to boot if there is a memory
> card in the USB reader when you first turn the computer on so be sure
> there are no cards left in the reader.

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:50:07 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 03:26:09 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
<vwdoc1@ameritech.net> wrote:

>I think that you read about protecting the information on the MS during a
>read or write process. If it is dormant or not being written to or read
>from then it should be very safe to pull it out from the reader. I do it
>all of the time with my MS and card reader. <g>

It depends entirely on what OS and version thereof you are
using. Win98 will require that you eject it first. WinXP on my lapop
has a systray icon for that purpose. It gets very cross with me if I
just go to My Computer, select Eject on the drive, then pull the card
out. XP Media center, OTOH, has no such function. You just pull the
card. If I try to stop the device, it tosses all four card drives,
empty or not, and I have to reboot to pick them up again.

!