Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 8:34:17 PM

Hi not totally sure this is the right place for this but.......

I have an HP p6100z desktop pc that I bought in 2009. It has an AMD Athlon 64x2 5050edual-core processor (2.6Hz), 2GB ddr2-800MHz SDRAM and integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics card. Not sure what the motherboard is or the power supply at the moment. I would really like to upgrade the graphics card as I do things like WoW and Second Life and can never run them on anything but the lowest settings. Does anyone have any decent but not overly expensive suggestions? I'm sure I'll have to upgrade ram as well so any suggestions on that too? I wonder if I could find out MB and PS info from HP? I would like to do these upgrades myself if possible. Thanks for any info!

More about : upgrade

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 9:38:09 PM

jen2fun said:
Hi not totally sure this is the right place for this but.......

I have an HP p6100z desktop pc that I bought in 2009. It has an AMD Athlon 64x2 5050edual-core processor (2.6Hz), 2GB ddr2-800MHz SDRAM and integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics card. Not sure what the motherboard is or the power supply at the moment. I would really like to upgrade the graphics card as I do things like WoW and Second Life and can never run them on anything but the lowest settings. Does anyone have any decent but not overly expensive suggestions? I'm sure I'll have to upgrade ram as well so any suggestions on that too? I wonder if I could find out MB and PS info from HP? I would like to do these upgrades myself if possible. Thanks for any info!

The first thing you need to do before upgrading your C is determine the make / model number ofthe power supply and the maximum wattage & amps it supplies.

Most modern graphics cards demand quite high ampage on the PCI-E rails - be sure your PSU has PCI-E connectors.

Ram wise its cheap and easy to upgrade your PC - as the world RAM prices are really low at the moment.

I would suggest you take the side panel off the PC and check the PSU, most OEM PC builders dont put a very powerful PSU in their machines.
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 20, 2012 10:38:34 PM

^+1
Your PSU is either a 250w or a 300w. And depending what your amps are on the one or two 12v rails are and plus what your budget is, will tell us about what type of a new GPU you can get.

If you are a serious gamer then I would be thinking about building a new rig, or at least start saving for one or buying your hardwear as you go along. This is just food for thought.

You will be able to upgrade a little bit but with a dual core CPU you are not going to be able to get a big GPU due to the bottlenecking that will take place. If you can find out the info on your PSU then all of us will be able to point you in the right direction.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2012 10:56:40 PM

the first thing is to upgrade your power supply and graphics card if your going about this in the cheapest way possible.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... at 59$ this is a great buy
along side with a 6850
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... your looking at 200$

If I were you I would sell your computer and start fresh. Sandy bridge has me hooked after being an avid amd fan. There are to many positives to write about. Let us know if you need any more help.
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:06:58 PM

also note if your GPU is integrated your mb might be using a gforce chipset. If that is the case to avoid potential driver issues a nvidia card is recomended if this is the case a
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... 460 is one of the best cards for overclocking at its price performance ratio at 150$ its a great card
m
l
November 26, 2012 12:19:43 AM

Best answer selected by jen2fun.
m
l
!