Gaming rig help

Znoel87

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hey I wanted to list everything that I think I have decided on and would like your advice please.
Case- Coolermaster HAF X (already bought)
CPU - core i7-3960x (already bought)
MOBO - Asus Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intell X79
SSD - Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB Sata III MLC Internal SSD
HD- Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM Sata 6.0Gb/s
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16gb (4 x 4GB) DDR3
Power Supply - Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200w (already bought)

Need suggestions on graphics card and I guess the disc drive doesn't really matter does it? Was thinking a blueray burner. was wondering if all of these parts are compatible with each other. Also would I need liquid cooling in this system or what?

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
You won't need a custom liquid cooling loop for this. You could buy an H80 and be more than fine. All the parts will work together. It would've been nice if you had made this thread before you had already bought almost all of your components. I mean, there isn't a whole lot left to say. You want a GTX 680 or two for graphics. I would say that you don't need 1200 Watts to run this setup and that there are better brands to buy, but it's already bought.

Hard drives look fine. And the disk drives don't really matter. If you want a blu-ray burner, grab a Pioneer or Sony.

Znoel87

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Only thing I have bought is cpu, case, and power supply. Stupid question but what's the differance between running two graphics cards than one?

g-unit1111

Titan

You don't even need an H80 - you could use a Noctua D14 and be perfectly fine. The beauty of the X79 system is that the retention brackets are already built into the motherboard so when you install a fan such as the D14 you don't need to install a base plate underneath for support - you just screw in the mounting brackets and the rest pretty much installs itself. I try to play my builds relatively conservative and I don't touch a lot of experimental hardware like custom loops - it's too much risk for not a lot of payoff. A strong fan like the D14 or Phanteks TC-14 will give you the same results as an H80 or H100 will.

Only thing I have bought is cpu, case, and power supply. Stupid question but what's the differance between running two graphics cards than one?

Two GPUs will give you better framerates and higher resolutions on any single or multiple monitors you plan to run over a single one. Two 680s will give you the best results vs. using a single 680.

Znoel87

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

So the D14 or phanteks tc-14 you refer are the fans for cooling the cpu or what?