Chaos Theory image tearing

Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
(first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering if
that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
hookup.
5 answers Last reply
More about chaos theory image tearing

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
    > (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
    > around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
    > framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
    > if that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
    > component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
    > However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
    > hookup.

    Hmmm. Hadn't noticed yet. But I kind of lower my expectations when I go from
    my PC to my X-Box (I dont' expect super hi-res, anti-aliasing, or VSYNCing
    necessarily).

    - Cryo

    You're probably right about turning off VSYNC. I imagine that's exactly
    what they did in order to boost the framerate. I noticed the same thing in
    God of War for the PS2. Seems this is necessary to keep a decent framerate
    when they push the aging hardware to new limits. Both of these game have
    amazing visual and it wouldn't surprise me if either system didn't have to
    power to handle them at an acceptable framerate with VSYNC on.

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
    > (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
    > around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
    > framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
    if
    > that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
    > component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
    > However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
    > hookup.

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
    > (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
    > around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
    > framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
    > if that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
    > component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
    > However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
    > hookup.

    I don't know what image tearing is, but I do know I am having stuttering lag
    problems on Co-op live. It might be my ISP playing up but it is annoying
    and games are unplayable.

    "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in

    > and it was very apparent. However, this was also noticeable on an
    > older 27" sdtv with composite hookup.

    Yeah, there's a touch at 480i, which means it's probably pretty noticeable
    on 480p. Doesn't bother me much in interlaced mode, though.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer
    geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

    "Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
    of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

    What I saw in GoW was a line that would scroll down the picture.
    Something did not look just right.

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:37:14 +0000, Sean D wrote:

    > You're probably right about turning off VSYNC. I imagine that's exactly
    > what they did in order to boost the framerate. I noticed the same thing in
    > God of War for the PS2. Seems this is necessary to keep a decent framerate
    > when they push the aging hardware to new limits. Both of these game have
    > amazing visual and it wouldn't surprise me if either system didn't have to
    > power to handle them at an acceptable framerate with VSYNC on.
    >

    > "Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
    >> (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
    >> around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
    >> framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
    > if
    >> that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
    >> component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
    >> However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
    >> hookup.

Console Gaming Games Video Games