Chaos Theory image tearing

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 9, 2005 11:35:00 PM

Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
(first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering if
that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
hookup.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 11:35:01 PM

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
> (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
> around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
> framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
> if that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
> component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
> However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
> hookup.

Hmmm. Hadn't noticed yet. But I kind of lower my expectations when I go from
my PC to my X-Box (I dont' expect super hi-res, anti-aliasing, or VSYNCing
necessarily).

- Cryo
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 4:37:14 AM

You're probably right about turning off VSYNC. I imagine that's exactly
what they did in order to boost the framerate. I noticed the same thing in
God of War for the PS2. Seems this is necessary to keep a decent framerate
when they push the aging hardware to new limits. Both of these game have
amazing visual and it wouldn't surprise me if either system didn't have to
power to handle them at an acceptable framerate with VSYNC on.

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
> (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
> around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
> framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
if
> that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
> component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
> However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
> hookup.

Related resources
April 10, 2005 3:59:18 PM

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Has anyone else noticed this while playing CT? I only played one level
> (first coop mission) but there was a lot of image tearing when looking
> around. It looked exactly like having Vsync off on a pc game, and having a
> framerate much higher than the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm wondering
> if that's exactly what it is. I was using a 46" sony widescreen HDTV with
> component hook up (game was in 480P widescreen ) and it was very apparent.
> However, this was also noticeable on an older 27" sdtv with composite
> hookup.

I don't know what image tearing is, but I do know I am having stuttering lag
problems on Co-op live. It might be my ISP playing up but it is annoying
and games are unplayable.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:25:18 PM

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in

> and it was very apparent. However, this was also noticeable on an
> older 27" sdtv with composite hookup.

Yeah, there's a touch at 480i, which means it's probably pretty noticeable
on 480p. Doesn't bother me much in interlaced mode, though.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:30:45 PM

What I saw in GoW was a line that would scroll down the picture.
Something did not look just right.

!