Sign in with
Your question

Can not connect to wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 22, 2011 3:58:32 AM

I am writing this question from my laptop wich is wirelessly connected to the same network that I am having difficulty connecting to wirlessly with my desktop. A week ago both computers were wirelessly connected to this network and both got online fine. A week ago, a friend took the computer that was hardwired to the router that was sending out the signal in to have a virus removed. Since then my desk top, which is using window 7 with a Medialink wireless USB adapter has not been able to connect to the wireless network. A message that says"The settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements for the network" appears. I have attempted to uninstall the Medialink driver and reinstall it, but I am having difficulty unistalling it. I get a message that says I need to close the program and quit using it first. I get a message that says I need close the program and quit using it first. I have pulled the plug out the USB port. It does not help. I get thesame message. How can I fix this poroblem?
June 22, 2011 5:16:27 AM

To clarify:

You have a laptop with an internal wireless adapter that successfully connects to the network (so we know that the laptop adapter and the network router are functioning properly), but the usb adapter you use with your desktop (running Windows 7) will not connect? So the usb device was previously able to connect to the network, but now you're getting a notification that the settings on your desktop don't match the requirements for the network?

You say you tried to uninstall the usb wireless driver. Did you use the Device Manager (type "device manager" in start menu search bar, go down and open Network Adapters in the device manager, double click on the Medialink adapter, click on the Driver tab, click Uninstall button at bottom)?
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:26:58 PM

To uninstall the wireless driver, you may try this things

Method 1) Start the task manage (Ctrl+Alt+del) and go to "processes". Then end the processes on the any applications associated with the usb wireless adapter. Then, try uninstall

Method 2) On booting the computer, go in to Safe mode. Then, try uninstall

However, before uninstalling, you may want to try this first

1) Go to Network and sharing center
2) Manage wireless connection
3) Right-click on the correct wireless name you have the problem with
4) Click Proerties

Check all settings. In most cases, we use WPA2-personal. Verify the password
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 5:06:25 AM

Thanks For responding. I was able to get the medialink device uninstalled through device manager, However the icon remained in the systems tray with an X over it. Before I did this was able to detect five local wireless networks including the one that I am trying to connect to. I have unistalled the the Media link device and ran the CD to reinstall the drivers. Now I am unable to detect any networks at all. My lap top continues to connect fine. Please help.
m
l
February 25, 2013 2:15:42 PM

Holland said:
Thanks For responding. I was able to get the medialink device uninstalled through device manager, However the icon remained in the systems tray with an X over it. Before I did this was able to detect five local wireless networks including the one that I am trying to connect to. I have unistalled the the Media link device and ran the CD to reinstall the drivers. Now I am unable to detect any networks at all. My lap top continues to connect fine. Please help.

Hi, did you ever get this problem fixed? Because i'm currently having the same problem with my MediaLink usb driver, where no network connections are showing up and the is an X on my wireless bars. If you could helpin any way, please reply. Thanks!
m
l
April 14, 2013 2:42:15 PM

InternetDeprived said:
Holland said:

Hi, did you ever get this problem fixed? Because i'm currently having the same problem with my MediaLink usb driver, where no network connections are showing up and the is an X on my wireless bars. If you could helpin any way, please reply. Thanks!

I was able to get this fixed by uninstalling and re-installing. Make sure you pull the adapter out before uninstalling, and don't put it in until after you've finished re-installing the software. I also rebooted the PC between uninstall and re-install to be safe. It's really slow now, but it works... Seems like Windows 7 fights with the driver and causes this issue. Hope this helps!
m
l
!