Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can This PSU Function On This PC?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • ATX
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 10, 2012 2:48:47 PM

Can it fit?
Can it work?
Will it perform like it should?

Here is the PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Po...

Here is the PC - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-124...

I dont know what this 100% means but is it 'Atx'? because that PSU says it is an ATX power supply!

More about : psu function

July 10, 2012 3:06:29 PM

Yes, that power supply will fit in your computer. For the most part, power supplies are built to the same dimensions so they will fit. What makes it an "ATX" power supply is because it has a power cord with a 20 pin or 20+4 pin end which is required to power any variation of the ATX motherboards (ATX, MiniATX, Micro ATX, etc.)
July 10, 2012 3:14:13 PM

dalmvern said:
Yes, that power supply will fit in your computer. For the most part, power supplies are built to the same dimensions so they will fit. What makes it an "ATX" power supply is because it has a power cord with a 20 pin or 20+4 pin end which is required to power any variation of the ATX motherboards (ATX, MiniATX, Micro ATX, etc.)


do you know what motherboard (atx,microatx...) i have? If so where does it say this?

Thanks for the help!
Related resources
July 10, 2012 3:30:36 PM

Being that it is built off of Intel's Q65 Express chipset, you can be sure that it is ATX since, well, Intel created that form factor...and honestly I dont think anyone even makes the BTX form factor anymore. Pretty much anything you see these days will be ATX.
July 10, 2012 3:56:33 PM

dalmvern said:
Being that it is built off of Intel's Q65 Express chipset, you can be sure that it is ATX since, well, Intel created that form factor...and honestly I dont think anyone even makes the BTX form factor anymore. Pretty much anything you see these days will be ATX.



Just to confirm, you are 100% sure that the new PSU (1) will work with my current PC (2) no problems at all?

While your posting, can you tell me that the GTX 560 TI (3) Will also work with this build? (that is what my PSU is for)

(1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600 [...] =de_a_smtd
(2) http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/ [...] html?dnr=1
(3) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-G...
July 10, 2012 5:22:41 PM

1) Yes - While the system specs does not specifically say the motherboard model, its an Intel Q65 Express chipset, so it is some form of the ATX form factor.

2) Yes - That is a pretty good quality PSU with more than enough power for your PC. I am not a huge fan of OCZ PSUs, but that one got pretty good reviews and the power supplied on the rails actually does add up to the 600W it claims.

3) Hesitant Yes - I figured that you were buying the new PSU for a graphics card. Now looking at that PSU, there is only one 6+2 connector. The 560 Ti needs two of those. That is the reason for the hesitation. The link to Amazon you sent makes it look like you are buying a used or repackaged card, and you need one of the extra components that is included in the original packaging. You need one of the adapters to convert the MOLEX power connectors into a 6+2 pin connector.

As long as you have the adapter, your PSU will power that card no problem.

July 10, 2012 5:40:13 PM

Know what, I am just going to recommend a different PSU to you. Corsair makes really good quality PSUs, so consider getting this one rather than the OCZ you were looking at. This PSU actually has the two 6+2 pin connectors that you need without having to bother with the MOLEX adapter, which is always better IMO. Plus its a few bucks cheaper :) 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-600CXV2UK-Builder...
a c 75 ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 5:43:03 PM

dalmvern said:
Now looking at that PSU, there is only one 6+2 connector.


It has one 6+2 pin PCIe connector and one 6 pin PCIe connector, so he's good to go (only needs 2 6 pin). And that particular OCZ is actually a very good unit. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ModXStream-P...
July 10, 2012 8:45:23 PM

dalmvern said:
Know what, I am just going to recommend a different PSU to you. Corsair makes really good quality PSUs, so consider getting this one rather than the OCZ you were looking at. This PSU actually has the two 6+2 pin connectors that you need without having to bother with the MOLEX adapter, which is always better IMO. Plus its a few bucks cheaper :) 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-600CXV2UK-Builder...


that is actually funny, because i was just about to buy that, after research people told me that the type of corsair there is a kind of fake, it actually doesnt give 600W in fact much lower!

So i decided to get the OCZ instead which has GREAT reviews!
July 10, 2012 8:51:45 PM

jdlivegamers said:
that is actually funny, because i was just about to buy that, after research people told me that the type of corsair there is a kind of fake, it actually doesnt give 600W in fact much lower!

So i decided to get the OCZ instead which has GREAT reviews!


***, my bad I forgot the builder series sucks. This is the the one i would recommend, despite the fact that its not modular.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-650TXV2UK-Enthusi...
July 10, 2012 9:41:11 PM

dalmvern said:
***, my bad I forgot the builder series sucks. This is the the one i would recommend, despite the fact that its not modular.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-650TXV2UK-Enthusi...


No thanks. Reviews are bad,and it's loud ... The one I put in the post , will it even FIT into the case? I measured and it's like 1cm off ? Or is that bad measuring.
a c 75 ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 9:49:31 PM

jdlivegamers said:
The one I put in the post , will it even FIT into the case? I measured and it's like 1cm off ? Or is that bad measuring.


If you're talking about the ModXStream Pro, yes, it'll fit.

Quote from Newegg's Detail's page on it

Quote:
Dimensions 5.9" x 3.4" x 6.5"


Now a quote from the HP info

Quote:
Dimensions (W x D x H) 7 x 17 x 14.9 in


It should fit with over an inch to spare.
July 10, 2012 9:58:34 PM

Yes, it will fit in the case. The dimensions on the OCZ is 5.9"x3.4"x6.5" and the case has a 7" width.