Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Electrical shock from PSU

Last response: in Components
Share
July 10, 2012 4:13:06 PM

I was just connecting my motherboard, gfx, new cooler and my Corsair 620W power supply to test it before dumping it in my new casing. As i reached over to turn off my PSU after a succesful test boot, it gave me a minor electrical shock.

1). Is this harmful to my other hardware?
2). my PSU is upwards of three years old but i notice that i've had this problem with EVERY SINGLE PSU i've ever had in this part of the house - Could the electrician have grounded it wrong? and if so - How do i explain the problem for him so he can fix it?

thanks

More about : electrical shock psu

July 10, 2012 6:25:13 PM

Okay nevermind - Turns out i was just being stupid. I was using a PSU cable that wasn't properly grounded.
a b ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 7:11:08 PM

I was going to say, that should never happen if the frame is properly grounded. With that said, please cut the cable in half and throw it out so no one else gets hurt.
Related resources
a c 140 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 12:36:08 AM

Are you sure it wasn't just a static discharge shock?
a b ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 12:47:42 AM

clutchc said:
Are you sure it wasn't just a static discharge shock?


Static can't build up if its grounded
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 12:49:44 AM

The static builds up on you and goes to ground when you touch the grounded power supply.

I have seem MANY people get a static shock touching the computer case(and many other things). The static is from you(clothing most times) not the computer it self.
a b ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 12:51:51 AM

nukemaster said:
The static builds up in you and goes to ground when you touch the grounded power supply.

I have seem MANY people get a static shock touching the computer case(and many other things). The static is from you(clothing most times) not the computer it self.


erm right, yes. The OP said that the cable wasn't grounded though. I'm too tired
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 12:58:43 AM

strange thing is an un-grounded cable on a pc power supply does not prevent function and should have even not given a static shock a place to go, but hey, if it can get into ANY other ground source(outside of the monitor signal cable ect), it will go.

You would be surprised just how much ground jumps from device to device. I am sure static will find a path.
July 11, 2012 12:59:20 AM

I once foolishly left my entire computer ungrounded... touching the case shocked me... lol ahh to be so young and foolish
!