Electrical shock from PSU

gulex

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I was just connecting my motherboard, gfx, new cooler and my Corsair 620W power supply to test it before dumping it in my new casing. As i reached over to turn off my PSU after a succesful test boot, it gave me a minor electrical shock.

1). Is this harmful to my other hardware?
2). my PSU is upwards of three years old but i notice that i've had this problem with EVERY SINGLE PSU i've ever had in this part of the house - Could the electrician have grounded it wrong? and if so - How do i explain the problem for him so he can fix it?

thanks

The static builds up on you and goes to ground when you touch the grounded power supply.

I have seem MANY people get a static shock touching the computer case(and many other things). The static is from you(clothing most times) not the computer it self.

erm right, yes. The OP said that the cable wasn't grounded though. I'm too tired

strange thing is an un-grounded cable on a pc power supply does not prevent function and should have even not given a static shock a place to go, but hey, if it can get into ANY other ground source(outside of the monitor signal cable ect), it will go.

You would be surprised just how much ground jumps from device to device. I am sure static will find a path.