Sign in with
Your question

New CPU cooler problem.

Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2012 4:35:13 PM

Hi guys

I Installed a new CPU cooler today (be quiet! Dark Rock 2) as my old one (Corsair Hydro Series H60) had started making a weird noise. Iv replaced a few CPU coolers over the years without too many problems, but this time once i tried to start my computer up again it turns on then off after about 30 seconds and then on again then it stays on, all fans, including graphics card and psu, are working but there is no video output my monitor just stays blank.

Now iv tried putting the old cooler back in but i have the same problem and i cant think what else could be wrong. Can anyone please help me out, id really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.

More about : cpu cooler problem

a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 4:52:33 PM

Can you get into bios, reset to defaults if you can? Have you re seated the video card? Did the bios reset back to onboard video?
July 10, 2012 5:45:06 PM

Hi

No i cant get to the bios, nothing at all comes on the screen just a logo saying no connection, i don't have any on board video and yes the Video card is seated properly, iv taken in out and put it back in and still have the same problem.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2012 5:55:46 PM

jorro0121 said:
Hi

No i cant get to the bios, nothing at all comes on the screen just a logo saying no connection, i don't have any on board video and yes the Video card is seated properly, iv taken in out and put it back in and still have the same problem.

Try re-seating your ram sticks.
a c 176 à CPUs
July 10, 2012 6:52:22 PM

try reseating the 24 pin atx and 4/8pin atx power plug. also check that your video card has all the power plugs it needs are connected. if you took the mb out of the case to put the new cpu heat sink on check that there no drop screw under the mb and that the i\o shield not shorting the mb out.
July 10, 2012 8:41:08 PM

Maybe the new CPU cooler takes up too much wattage.
July 10, 2012 11:01:42 PM

Hi

Thanks for all the advice, luckily i fixed it by removing the ram and then reseating it and its seemed to have fixed it, I even got the new cooler on and working.

Any ideas why just removing the ram a putting it back would have fixed it? seems a bit odd that its just stopped working.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 12:02:21 AM

jorro0121 said:
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, luckily i fixed it by removing the ram and then reseating it and its seemed to have fixed it, I even got the new cooler on and working.

Any ideas why just removing the ram a putting it back would have fixed it? seems a bit odd that its just stopped working.

Thanks

RAM is kind of funny and will do strange stuff sometimes. In my PC i tried moving sticks of RAM around to have the low profile ones next to my heatsink, and it wouldn't give me a picture or anything. Moved them back and it's like nothing ever happened. Anyway chances are that when you were moving around with your heatsink, you knocked one out just a little bit so that it wasn't reading it. Reinstalled it and now it works.
!