Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 6:14:23 AM

Hey all! This will be my first build. So I'm quite new to this whole PC building thing.

Anyways I'll jump into it.

My budget its about 300 - 400 CAD (tax included).

I plan on re-using as much parts from my old machine as possible, this includes random parts I have laying around from other PC's I have.

Things that will be re-used are monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD. The HDD that I'll be re-using is 250 GB.
The PC being "recycled" is an old Dell Dimension 3100.
I'll also be buying a SATA DVD drive from my brother.
I also plan on using the version of XP Pro that came with the machine, I have a Key and CD though whether this will work or not I'm not entirely sure I don't see why not seeing as every time I do a format/fresh install I have to manually install all the needed drivers.

Currently what I want to gain from this pc is just better performance to play a *bit* of games. By games I don't mean today's hot new releases. In fact, this will probably be used for a lot of legacy games. Along with Minecraft, WoW, and D3.
EDIT/ I should also mention that it will be used for such programs as photoshop CS5, I've been unable to jump up from CS3 because of this Dell. CS5 never worked properly and was a large waste of money.

What I have laid out for the machine currently are these parts:
AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6 Ghz
ASUS F1A55-M
Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Rosewill R519-BK Case w/500W PSU

From my small knowledge it seems that everything will work out quite nicely. Though what I'm un-sure about is the use of the AMD A6 with the ASUS mobo. Will the included CPU Cooler get in the way of the RAM Slots?

I've also heard a lot of good and bad things about Rosewill, the only thing that brings me to this case is the PSU and much *nicer* looking case. In-fact that I had planned on buying a cheaper case with separate PSU. But with the Rosewill I seem to get a much better PSU with a bit extra do-hickeys on top of an extra 50W from the old PSU.

So I guess what I want to know is if I'm doing it right so far? I haven't bought this yet but plan to fairly soon.

More about : budget

March 27, 2012 9:46:34 AM

use 1600mhz ram (cl9 or lower) instead of 1333mhz
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 27, 2012 9:53:18 AM

Any reason why?
EDIT/ Nevermind. Heh, google is nice. Thanks!
m
l
March 27, 2012 9:56:48 AM

It won't make much difference.
m
l
March 27, 2012 10:03:08 AM

G.Skill and Corsair are good RAM, but Crucial and Kingston HyperX is more reliable, so great choice!
m
l
March 27, 2012 10:05:11 AM

I saw someone mention that these need to run at the exact voltage. Will I have any difficulties achieving this with the cheaper APU?
m
l
March 27, 2012 2:11:30 PM

you will need windows 64bit os to use above 4gb of ram
m
l
March 27, 2012 2:52:15 PM

Remember to use promo codes!!!

This would be a much better PSU. There's also an Antec 300 case on sale for the same price as the below mentioned Rosewill. Think this would also save you some money.

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck!
m
l
March 27, 2012 2:57:39 PM

Rosewill CHALLENGER

MCNGHG76

Corsair PSU

EMCNGHG72

m
l
March 27, 2012 3:28:11 PM

Newegg is telling me that both those codes are invalid for some reason...

EDIT/ One thing that would help is if anyone could tell me if my Dell supplied Win XP disk and key will work for this build? Would take an extra $115 out of the bill.
m
l
March 27, 2012 3:47:06 PM

Found those codes in their spring break sale area...must not be available to all, sry.

PSU would have been 17$ and the case 40$ with those promo's and after rebates.

Not sure about the XP its been a long time since i bought a proprietary build. You may be able to use the windows 8 beta... could hold you over until you can save some more money for a new OS in case your XP doesn't work in your new rig.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-p...
m
l
March 27, 2012 3:53:59 PM

Well from what I've read around here, there are in fact legal work around's for the use of bundled XP licenses. But I do not wish to talk about that any further seeing as it gets topics closed... I'm not quite done with my questions yet. Thanks for your help though!

EDIT/ Anyone have any experience with RAIDMAX? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I've also never heard of a tool less case before. Rather odd.
I see that a lot of these PSU's have 8 Pin CPU power connections (4+4) does that meant it's just two sets of 4 pin connectors?

EDIT// Just called a few shops, found a free mid tower + 450W PSU for free.

Build cost $240.
m
l
March 27, 2012 6:46:02 PM

Raidmax is a ticking time bomb that may take out other components with it when it blows(although llanno sips power, so that most likely will not happen). Look for antec, corsair, seasonic etc....

If you are going to make a sacrifice on the quad a6, why not look at the a6 3500, its a tri core with the same gpu, with a lower clock rate. It is priced at 79.99 and would be a nice step up from the a4 for not much money. (I actually have that in my budget build and am very happy with the performance of the integrated gpu.)
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:36:46 PM

Heh I just ordered, thank you though. If I run into problems during the build process I'll be sure to post in this thread. Thanks everyone who helped!
m
l
!