Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 11:29:07 PM

So im having the usual win7 tri monitor error where i plug all of the screens in but only 2 work now i did this a while ago and have upgraded to different monitors and before going out and spending around $300 on other ways i just wanted to ask this question....

I have 1 screen thats going into my pc (x64) through dvi i then have another going in through dvi but im using a dvi to vga for it then last i have 1 more dvi but only hdmi's left will you think it will work if i buy a dvi to hdmi and plug it in?
______________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys fixed it if any help using the ati radeon hd 5770

solution:
Middle screen is using a vga to display port adapter
2 outer screens are using the dvi ports

It seems that the ati radeon 5770 doesnt like dvi to display port adapters!

More about : fixed usual win7 tri monitor wont work question

a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 20, 2012 11:41:55 PM

What video card, some will NOT run 3 screens at a time.

HDMI - > DVI will work, but you may only have a 2 screen limit depending on the card.

Many newer cards from AMD have the ability to do 3 screens at once from a single card, but one screen has to be Display Port(or use an active adapter.) in most cases.
Score
January 21, 2012 12:12:03 AM

sorry i dont know what it is (derp to myself) but it says it can go up to 4 screens at the same time
Score
Related resources
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 12:19:28 AM

GPU-Z will tell you just what card it is.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Just as an example, while my old geforce 8800GTX had 3 outputs, on 2 would work at a time. I think my 4870 had the same limit.
Score
January 21, 2012 12:30:37 AM

Its the ATI Radeon HD 5770
Score
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 1:02:21 AM

The 5770 will run upto 3 screens at once and one had to be Display Port or DVI/VGA from an Active DP adapter(Single link DVI generally, but vga is available).

Something like this. Should be able to get them online and even in some stores.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0..."

Here is a list of AMD approved adapters. The ones the card makers release should work as well.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...
Score
January 21, 2012 1:42:43 AM

So this will get all 3 monitors working for sure? i wont get the 2 screen glitch even though i have 3 plugged in?
Score
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 2:14:36 AM

That card is made to run 3 screens. so yes, that should be what you need.

Note that one DVI and the HDMI port are shared, that is why you need to use the display port plug.
Score
January 21, 2012 6:44:11 PM

okay so i went to microcenter and bought a active display port adapter dvi to display port i plugged it into my pc and turned it on when i turned it on my other 2 screens turned on but my 3rd one just stayed as a black screen (but its on) long story short

my system knows its there i can drag programs over to that window but the screen is just staying black
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 7:09:08 PM

WarfareDigital said:
okay so i went to microcenter and bought a active display port adapter dvi to display port i plugged it into my pc and turned it on when i turned it on my other 2 screens turned on but my 3rd one just stayed as a black screen (but its on) long story short

my system knows its there i can drag programs over to that window but the screen is just staying black

Are you trying to eyefinity?

or... right click desktop, screen resolution and setup...

Score
January 21, 2012 7:23:00 PM

The hell my catalyst control looks nothing like that it doesnt even detect any displays
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 7:35:03 PM

WarfareDigital said:
The hell my catalyst control looks nothing like that it doesnt even detect any displays

What Catalyst are you using?

Score
January 21, 2012 7:53:02 PM

i just updated it to what you have and did the 3/1 thing with the organizer and the resoultion went really low and the 3RD monitor now has a blue tint
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 7:57:18 PM

What are your three monitors' exact native resolutions? Sounds like you are mixing screen resolutions and the third monitor is displaying a resolution it doesn't like.
Score
January 21, 2012 8:00:07 PM

O wait damnit now my left monitor is mirroring my middle monitor didnt even have to change anything
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 8:02:18 PM

ok, go back into catalyst control center. You need to set the screens to their proper arrangement using the configuration tool. It will ask you which screen should be on the left, etc, etc.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 8:03:03 PM

larkspur said:
What are your three monitors' exact native resolutions? Sounds like you are mixing screen resolutions and the third monitor is displaying a resolution it doesn't like.

This is a very good possibility...
Score
January 21, 2012 8:03:25 PM

larkspur said:

well my middle is 1920 x 1080 and my other 2 are 1020 x 1024

i fixed the left right issue thankfully so now my middle screen is my main and my left screen is on but the right screen is still a blue tint

btw this is what im using as a active display port for my 3rd monitor
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 8:07:59 PM

WarfareDigital said:

Eyefinity will default to the lowest single screen resolution that it has in the group. So all three of your monitors will be running @1020x1024 (giving you a total of 3060x3072). If probably looks awful on your 1920x1080, right?
Score
January 21, 2012 8:10:56 PM

no its acually fine i just disabled the eyefinity mulit display but when it was enabled the resolution was a little f uped
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 8:12:33 PM

WarfareDigital said:

i fixed the left right issue thankfully so now my middle screen is my main and my left screen is on but the right screen is still a blue tint

btw this is what im using as a active display port for my 3rd monitor
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Mixing like that doesn't really work well... you can try 3060X1024 and your 1920X1080 monitor will just run at a lower res. but should be fine. Then you can configure bezel compensation.

Generally, you want the monitors to match in every way; ie: resolution, response, refresh and size.
Score
January 21, 2012 8:15:31 PM

well i dont exactly now how to get all 3 screens to that resolution sorry lol but the main problem is that my 3rd screen is just staying a blue tint and nothing else is on it even though i set it to exend these displays
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 8:16:10 PM

WarfareDigital said:
no its acually fine i just disabled the eyefinity mulit display but when it was enabled the resolution was a little f uped

Ok so basically that means you are using windows extended desktop across all three monitors. Windows should look fine since it has no trouble addressing monitors of different resolutions. If the reason for the three monitors is productivity, then you should be all set.

If you want to game using eyefinity, you'll need to re-enable it and your center monitor is going to look pretty weird at a non-widescreen resolution. Unfortunately eyefinity doesn't work well with mismatched native resolution monitors.
Score
January 21, 2012 8:17:51 PM

larkspur said:
Ok so basically that means you are using windows extended desktop across all three monitors. Windows should look fine since it has no trouble addressing monitors of different resolutions. If the reason for the three monitors is productivity, then you should be all set.

If you want to game using eyefinity, you'll need to re-enable it and your center monitor is going to look pretty weird at a non-widescreen resolution. Unfortunately eyefinity doesn't work well with mismatched native resolution monitors.

ok but the still the main problem is that my 3rd screen is just a blue tint with nothing on it, the pc knows its there i just wont produce an image on the screen
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 8:19:06 PM

WarfareDigital said:
well i dont exactly now how to get all 3 screens to that resolution sorry lol but the main problem is that my 3rd screen is just staying a blue tint and nothing else is on it even though i set it to exend these displays

So that means your third monitor isn't working? It isn't displaying a window if you drag it to it? Or it is, and the colors are just messed up?
Score
January 21, 2012 8:22:09 PM

no the monitor does work i have 2 pc's in my room and its works on the other i just unplugged it from the other pc and then plugged the active adapter into it and then plugged it into the pc im working on now

"the computer knows its there i just wont produce an image" its has something to do with the bandwidth of my video card something like that and i have to use a active adapter to get it working
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 8:25:14 PM

Ok, so back to the beginning. Shut down the computer, disconnect the other two displays. Leave the DP -> DVI adapter monitor plugged in and boot up the machine. If the monitor still doesn't display anything then try the adapter again this time with the 1920x1080 monitor. If it still doesn't display anything then the adapter is bad.
Score
January 21, 2012 8:43:57 PM

kk so heres what happened
unplugged left desktop leaving only middle and right (one w/ adapter) turned it on
the middle was blank with my background meaning that my right screen was main. I could still scroll over to the right and even randomly click and drag icons back to middle. So still the pc knows it there but the screen wont produce an image.

now i turned it off again disconnected the adapter and plugged it into the other screen (left) and turned the pc on and got a different output. Now the middle screen is the main and the left screen just says digital power saving mode and goes into sleep and i cant scroll to left or right
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 8:55:56 PM

WarfareDigital said:
unplugged left desktop leaving only middle and right (one w/ adapter) turned it on
the middle was blank with my background meaning that my right screen was main. I could still scroll over to the right and even randomly click and drag icons back to middle. So still the pc knows it there but the screen wont produce an image.

now i turned it off again disconnected the adapter and plugged it into the other screen (left) and turned the pc on and got a different output. Now the middle screen is the main and the left screen just says digital power saving mode and goes into sleep and i cant scroll to left or right

It's sending the wrong signal to the monitor so it won't work... It's sending a 1920X1080 signal and probably a different refresh so it goes out of range... You can go backwards but not forwards in resolution. Meaning - you can send a 1020X1024 resolution to a 1920X1080 display but you can't send a 1920X1080 resolution to a 1020X1024 display...
Score
January 21, 2012 8:59:55 PM

so pretty much its because my monitors arnt the same size? if so than how am i able to do "extend these displays" with the 1920 and the 1280 monitor?
Score
January 21, 2012 9:09:56 PM

thank you for all your help so far even though i think the other guy dropped out lol
i just enabled eyefinity and did 3/1 the resolution is still playable its just that the main problem is that my 3rd display is not turning on its just a blank screen do you have any answers on why the screen with the adapter wont produce an image?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 10:55:11 PM

WarfareDigital said:

Did you try what I suggested? Try booting the system with only one monitor. Use only the monitor with the displayport -> DVI adapter. If the monitor won't show you a BIOS/OEM/Windows screen when booting with it all by itself then the adapter is bad. Have you tried this?

Also try plugging the 1920x1080 monitor into the DP -> DVI adapter and booting the system with only that monitor. Make sure the monitor connected to the adapter is set to the right input (DVI).

There have been plenty of defective adapters so it's very possible that the adapter itself is bad.
Score
January 21, 2012 11:38:29 PM

yes i have, i have tried JUST using 1 screen w/ the adapter and nothing apeared on the screen so i went out and got 2 more different adapters and im getting the same error! WTF just a blank screen that the pc detects but guess what after pluggin in 1 of my new adapters my bigger monitor has adjusted it width and height to my other monitors
Score
a c 116 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 21, 2012 11:43:12 PM

So what ever you run off the adapters does not work.

This is very strange.

At the very least, with just one screen connected to the adapter, you should get the bios P.O.S.T screen.

Something is not right here. So you disconnected ALL other screens and just tried lets say the big screen with the DP adapter?
Score
January 21, 2012 11:45:54 PM

so still the question remains everybody the MAIN problem is just that my monitor that has the adapter will just not produce a image even though digitally its connected to the pc
AND
my new setup is main monitor is connected via hdmi
right monitor is dvi
and left monitor is dvi -> adapter
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 12:00:03 AM

Hmmmm. So, just to be clear: you have tried 3 different DP -> DVI adapters with three different monitors. Not a single one of those adapters works when plugged in all by itself with either of your types of monitors.

So now we need to know the exact make of your card. We know it's a 5770 but not all 5770s are made the same. What is the exact brand and model number of your card? If you could find it on Newegg and link it, that would be most useful.

The reason I ask is because my Asus 6970 has a switch that disables one of its displayports in order to enable dual-link DVI. I really don't know but maybe your card has a similar switch. It would seem odd. But the fact that your card isn't displaying anything to its displayport is odd as well.
Score
January 22, 2012 12:08:26 AM

o wait sorry thats not it derp
Score
January 22, 2012 12:13:49 AM

ok heres everything
Ati radeon hd 5770 series
release date oct, 13 2009 (wow)
device id 1002 - 68b8
gpu juniper
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 12:31:45 AM

Still doesn't identify the card's maker/model. That's ok though. So right now your problem is that your 5770 isn't outputting at all to its DisplayPort (DP). Normally, if the card was working right, when only one monitor was connected through the DP, the initial loading screen and windows loading screen would appear on the monitor. Your card is not doing this.

I highly doubt that they would put a DP on your card and not have it work by default. Like I said, my Asus 6970 has a weird switch on the card itself that shuts off one of its four displayports in order to enable dual-link dvi on an otherwise single-link DVI connector. Other 6970s don't necessarily have that weird switch and it would seem to be unnecessary on your card.

It's doubtful that your card would have such a switch but if it does then that might be your problem.

Otherwise, as long as you've tested the DP with different adapters and different monitors (try the 1920x1080 first) singly attached to the computer, it looks like your graphics card just won't output to its DP and may be defective.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 12:38:19 AM

And all of this assumes you've set your monitor's input setting on the proper input (which would be DVI). I think we went through that earlier but please confirm you've made sure the monitor is on the proper input.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 12:50:53 AM

WarfareDigital said:
Thats probably it, if so im gonna be so pissed heres the link to my actual card on amd's site, it doesnt come up on newegg sorry
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

Well that link is the reference 5770. It's fair to say you probably have a reference 5770 and don't have a weird switch and that your problem seems to be a bad displayport. Your card might have a warranty.
Score
January 22, 2012 12:54:32 AM

sadly no, well thanks for your help anyway.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 12:59:37 AM

WarfareDigital said:
Thats probably it, if so im gonna be so pissed

If that's in reference to making sure the monitor is on the proper input (DVI) then definitely check that out. Otherwise, good luck and you are very welcome for the advice.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 1:01:28 AM

So this (DP to DVI) doesn't work? I don't think the port on the card is defective as you said Windows recognizes there's a monitor. Something isn't configured right or either - A) the adaptor is defective or B) it's a passive adaptor and you need active. What version of Catalyst are you running?

Have you done this?
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 1:05:40 AM

Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2012 1:11:43 AM

RussK1 said:
I don't think the port on the card is defective as you said Windows recognizes there's a monitor. Something isn't configured right or either - A) the adaptor is defective or B) it's a passive adaptor and you need active. What version of Catalyst are you running?

He tried three different active adapters and can't even get a bios/oem/windows loading screen when connecting a single monitor to the DP. Nothing needs configuring to display a default bios/oem/windows loading screen. Once past the windows loading screen the AMD display driver is loaded according to its configuration - that is when a configuration problem could cause a monitor not to display when connected singly.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!