Sign in with
Your question

Random Freezes in Display during Steam Games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2012 11:30:59 PM

Recently I've been having a mountain of trouble with trying to run Steam games without my PC either crashing or freezing.

I've dealt with the crashes(hopefully) by turning off Steam Cloud but now my graphics randomly freezes up and pixelates under I have to manually restart it.

It's past furtest and I've checked each stick of memory to make sure they're ok and it's all passed. My PSU is operating under load so that's not a problem.

More about : random freezes display steam games

January 21, 2012 12:38:12 AM

bump
m
l
January 21, 2012 2:13:56 AM

Update your drivers?
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 2:24:01 AM

Have you updated Steam lately.
m
l
January 21, 2012 3:05:38 AM

inzone said:
Have you updated Steam lately.

Everything is a fresh install. Even reinstall at that.
m
l
January 21, 2012 3:16:24 AM

What driver version are you using. Have youn tried a driver rollback?
m
l
January 21, 2012 3:29:06 AM

Do you play any non steam games to know if its steam thats the problem?

Have you done a clean install of the latest AMD divers from their website for your card?
m
l
January 21, 2012 3:42:32 AM

monsta said:
Do you play any non steam games to know if its steam thats the problem?

Have you done a clean install of the latest AMD divers from their website for your card?

League of Legends is working perfectly fine. I can play it for hours on end.

The machine is a totally new build so I can't roll back drivers.

All drivers are the latest version released
m
l
January 21, 2012 4:48:09 AM

Nevermind on that. Now League of Legends will no longer function correctly.
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:15:24 AM

Run prime 95 for a few hours to test for heat/CPU issues.

I know you checked the ram but did you run memtest with both in? or individually? once had a set that worked fine independantly or even with both in but started throeing errors when in dual channel mode.

If possible try the GPU in another system.
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:38:52 AM

Operates under load. Interesting.

Have you checked for temps, voltages, correct settings in bios? Tempted to say dying card but I'd double check those things first.
m
l
January 21, 2012 7:13:45 AM

unksol said:
Run prime 95 for a few hours to test for heat/CPU issues.

I know you checked the ram but did you run memtest with both in? or individually? once had a set that worked fine independantly or even with both in but started throeing errors when in dual channel mode.

If possible try the GPU in another system.

I've run both sticks in Windows version of memtest and they've come out clean.

Is Prime 95 in 64 bit and is it already in Windows or is this a separate download?

"Don't
Bump posts"

I'll follow the rules next time and post "First!" instead then. Sorry for wanting to have an issue I've been trying to fix for several days now fixed.
m
l
January 21, 2012 7:18:31 AM

Also what should I be looking for when I run Prime 95?

Thanks in advance.
m
l
January 21, 2012 7:50:08 AM

Prime95 is a software you should download, here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

It is not on windows

Go do a stability testing or stress testing. Go to options and then click 'Torture Test'
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:11:28 AM

Ok. What am I supposed to be looking for specifically?

Will it give me a diagnostic report that I can post later?
m
l
January 22, 2012 1:54:36 AM

Just ran Prime95 under "Blend[test some of everything, lots of RAM test]" and my system shut down in about 4 minutes of testing.

Is there a log that I can look at that tells me exactly what went wrong?

I'm still unsure what I'm supposed to be looking for with this test, specifically.
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:52:52 AM

Quote:
Have you checked for temps, voltages, correct settings in bios?
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:57:07 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:

Temps are

Temp1: 36c
Temp2: 24c
Temp3: -128c
HDO: 26c
CPU: 36c
MB: 24c
GPU: 32c

How would I check to make sure my voltages in bios were correct?

Or I should ask what is the specific formula I should follow to make sure they are correct?
m
l
January 22, 2012 4:29:35 AM

Again, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for exactly so all help is very much appreciated
m
l
January 22, 2012 5:21:41 AM

Again, you shouldn't be bumping. It's only a matter of time before you get your thread locked. I have no intention of sitting here waiting for your every reply so I can try to help again. Relax.

You need to go into the bios and make sure your CPU and RAM have the correct voltage. You need to also make sure the timings for the ram is correct. Before you ask I have no idea what ram you have, where in the bios it's located, or how to change them if need be. You will need to do some of this yourself.
m
l
January 22, 2012 8:11:27 PM

I posted temps and thanked you guys for the help so far; because I'm a nooby at this. I also asked for a method on which to correctly gauge my voltages. Those all remain in topic of this discussion. And when I was told not to "bump", I stopped. I don't see how this breaks any of the rules other than me being harassed at the moment.

What I WAS asking for, though, was the method on how to correctly run my voltages; as in a mathematical equation I can plug my numbers into. Not who made my RAM, where I can find it in BIOS or how to change them. No need to bust out the jump to conclusions mat.

Should I just make a thread in another forum section to find out how to solve this without ad hominem?
m
l
January 22, 2012 10:22:40 PM

Do you see those two posts of yours together? Where in the second one you added no useful info just said "Again, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for exactly so all help is very much appreciated "? That's a bump. A mod already told you to not do that. If you want to jump on me for trying to remind you to not do that, I'll be more then happy to go away. Make all the threads you want, mods are pretty good at merging and banning spam accts.

Quote:
I also asked for a method on which to correctly gauge my voltages.

Bios? There is usually a PC health section in there. There is also speedfan and many hardware monitoring programs.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AswJXi6JauaFDYfQ6Je2dzObvZx4?fr=yfp-t-701-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=hardware%20monitor

Quote:
What I WAS asking for, though, was the method on how to correctly run my voltages; as in a mathematical equation I can plug my numbers into. Not who made my RAM, where I can find it in BIOS or how to change them.

Formula for what? What numbers do you want to plug in? I seriously don't understand what you are trying to do. IF the issue you have is a ram issue, it might be incorrect settings. If your ram is rated at 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V and the system is trying to run it at 8-8-8-24 @1.5V, then you could be having a ram issue. All I was trying to figure out is if your ram and CPU are set correctly. If you'd rather ignore my posts and rant about being attacked, don't worry about my reply's. They won't be coming anymore.
m
l
January 23, 2012 3:18:45 AM

Bump said:
Bump

Mousemonkey said:
Don't...
Bump posts
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

That's a bump. A mod already told you to not do that. If you want to jump on me for trying to remind you to not do that, I'll be more then happy to go away. said:
That's a bump. A mod already told you to not do that. If you want to jump on me for trying to remind you to not do that, I'll be more then happy to go away.

Seeing as you've already made up your mind in the end of your rant the earlier doesn't much effect me, hm?

He asked me not to bump posts, and from what the rules say that's exactly what I stopped doing. If that's how you truly feel about a thank you then I'm sorry to the entire board, that was not my intention.

Have you checked for temps, voltages, correct settings in bios? Tempted to say dying card but I'd double check those things first. said:

Have you checked for temps, voltages, correct settings in bios? Tempted to say dying card but I'd double check those things first.

Which I replied to with temps, then asked how I would go about running the correct voltages, which I doubt the answer to is "Bios".

To which you replied

Have you checked for temps, voltages, correct settings in bios? said:

That's like if I asked "Can I solve this particular issue by dividing X by Z" and you reply with "That's math".

See how it can be misconstrued as harassment when your only advice is no advice at all and then hostility at wanting some clarity on the subject?

My only desire is to have a proper way to go about this procedure with minimal failure.

Thank you for the link, though.
m
l
April 7, 2013 7:55:44 AM

Just wanted you to know that you're not the only one having this problem. I too experience this with some (not all) steam games. For example, I can play Dawn of War without Problems. On the other hand, as soon as I start Company Of Heroes, the system freezes. I get a black screen, no sound and cpu-fan is spinning like crazy. I think this is especially interesting as Dawn Of War and CoH are from the same developer.

I bought Osmos via Humble Bundle, so I got the Steam and the non-Steam version. In windows, I can play the drm-free version (without steam) without any problems. But as soon as I start the Steam version I get the same error as with CoH.

I tested the Linux-Version of Steam with Osmos and I get the exact same error.

So, what I can confirm, is that the problem is not a matter of the developer, the game or even the operating system. I am pretty sure it is some crap hidden inside Steam causing these troubles.
m
l
!