Your question
Solved

Brand New Builder, Want Cool Gaming System $1500+

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 7:15:14 AM

New to this forum, but I am looking for help on building a new computer (because that's what everyone says to do instead of Alienware :p  )
I've never built before, but ready to give it a shot. I will just be building the computer as I have the keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers. Other than Windows 7, I have no need of other software.

I am looking for a cost anywhere between $1500 and $2000.
The most important things to me are speed of regular use (surfing internet, running programs), gaming performance, and a computer that will last.
I use my computer mainly for gaming/internet. I'd love to be able to run games on max visual settings. (The game I am playing now is Star Wars The Old Republic)

Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2 weeks

Budget Range: 1500-2000 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/surfing web

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, I've been using newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel, Cool looking case :p 

Overclocking: Maybe... I would do it but I do not know how

SLI or Crossfire: If it makes sense in the budget, yes

Monitor Resolution: Currently running 1680x1050

Additional Comments: Would prefer a quiet PC (Very interested in liquid cooling, is this a good option?

I stole the $1500 build from the recommended forum: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332962-31-recommended...

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 922

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

RAM : Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

CPU : Intel Core I5-2500K (OC for best performance)

CPU Cooler : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

GPU : PowerColor AX7970 3GBD5-M2DHG Radeon HD 7970

PSU : Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

SSD : Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I am willing to upgrade where I need to and I'd rather do it right now than save a little now. I am interested in liquid cooling as i'd prefer a quiet system. I am not a HARDCORE gamer, so if my build is looking like too much please let me know as I have been off the computer market for a while.

Looking to build soon. I can buy online or I am fairly close to a Fry's so I could go there for parts too (to save on shipping).
Seriously ANY help would be welcome. Thanks guys!
(Let me know if you have any questions!)

More about : brand builder cool gaming system 1500

March 27, 2012 7:33:18 AM

That is a misconception - liquid cooling is not quieter than air cooling all the time. Get the GTX 680. It is cheaper, faster, and saves a bit more power.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:39:37 AM

azeem40 said:
That is a misconception - liquid cooling is not quieter than air cooling all the time. Get the GTX 680. It is cheaper, faster, and saves a bit more power.

Thank you, I did not know that liquid could be louder. Looks like I'll stick with what I got.

Also, would you recommend a specific brand for the GTX 680?
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 7:58:34 AM

EVGA for great customer service.
m
l
March 27, 2012 2:50:09 PM

Hmmm

good build

You are new but picked parts like regular and as sosofm said it is better to get gtx 680

are you gonna sli later in future i guess yes

You can even get x79 in your budget

my build for your budget.

If you want to save money then go with i5 2500k and asrock z68 extreme4 gen3

If you want a white case which looks sexy then get the corsair carbide 600t white edition. and if you want a much sexy case which is full tower then cooler master cosmos ii which will set you back to 330 bucks :o 

but every thing is fast efficient and future proof i.e. can upgrade to 3 gpu and 6 core cpu as well as upto 64 gb ram.
m
l
March 27, 2012 5:03:21 PM

serialkiller said:
Hmmm

good build

You are new but picked parts like regular and as sosofm said it is better to get gtx 680

are you gonna sli later in future i guess yes

You can even get x79 in your budget

my build for your budget.

If you want to save money then go with i5 2500k and asrock z68 extreme4 gen3

If you want a white case which looks sexy then get the corsair carbide 600t white edition. and if you want a much sexy case which is full tower then cooler master cosmos ii which will set you back to 330 bucks :o 

but every thing is fast efficient and future proof i.e. can upgrade to 3 gpu and 6 core cpu as well as upto 64 gb ram.

Thank you for all the info!
(I can't take credit for the build, I stole it! :kaola:  )
I am going to switch it to the gtx 680.
I will yes SLI at some point.

Serialkiller, would you be able to link me a good, upgradeable x79? Motherboards is the area I know LEAST about.

Is there any advantages to a large case over a medium tower?

AND I was wondering if I should upgrade the PSU now as I have the money to do it. Do you think I would need more than 650W later?

m
l
March 27, 2012 5:30:58 PM

I really like that build and may just use that as my final solution. Thanks so much serialkiller! Great bang for my buck!
m
l
March 27, 2012 5:39:37 PM

welcome and thanks :bounce: 
m
l
April 3, 2012 12:05:32 AM

Best answer selected by TheOnlyCorwin.
m
l