ASUS ATI 6770 Reboots 8 times before the post BIOS message

tomolyons

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi all.

I bought an ASUS ATI 6770 and im having a problem when it booting up. Ive installed it all correctly and everything but when it comes to booting up it reboots 8 times before getting to the post BIOS message.

before hand i had an ATI 4890 and i had no problems with it booting up at all.

My PSU is 750W. could it be down to a power problem or motherboard problem?

Specs:

Windows vista 64 bit
Intel quad q6600 2.4ghz
ATI 6770 1GB
3GB Ram

Help appreciated! Thanks

iueras

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Helpful to tell the guy to uninstall drivers :sarcastic: when his problem is that it won't POST for a good while after power on. Let me expand upon this, because I am having the SAME issue with an Asus Radeon 6770 I just bought.

When powering on the system, the vid card fan spins up. Optical drive light blinks a few times, maybe 2-3 seconds. Then all the fans spin down. You can hear the system powering up, then down, then up, then down. It will do this 7-8 times, then pop into your initial POST screen. After that, everything is fine, Windows boots, games run great. Flash movies cause a hard lock that looks a lot like VRAM corruption but that is apparently a known issue with Catalyst, the card is rock solid in games (after I fixed the heat sink issue below by adding some non-conductive washers to increase pressure on the die a little).

I wonder if we got defective cards? My 8800GT had no issues and drew twice the power, so I am 99.9% certain it is not a power supply issue. I've unplugged everything but 1 stick of RAM and it still exhibits the same POST behavior, so I doubt it is a hardware conflict. I have tried it in the second PCI-X16 slot (Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 Rev 2) and still the same thing.

The only other thing was the heat sink was extremely loose when I got it, the stock mounts don't seem to put nearly enough pressure on the chip. It slides around freely and my temps are 10-20C higher than other 6770 users report.

Anyone else have experience with these issues on this Asus card?

tomolyons

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Hi mate i found out what the problem was and hopefully it will help you.

My motherboard as 2 slots for a graphics card, the first slot i used was the top slot and that was the slot that was making computer reboot all the time. The second slot which was the one on the bottom was absolutely fine, No reboots or anything. Before this Card i was using an ATI 4890 which was on the top Slot. I think the top Slot is for Crossfire or SLI cards because my 4890 was a Crossfire card where as the 6770's are NOT crossfire cards.

Try changing slots. Hope this Helped :)

iueras

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Hmm thanks for the info man. Unfortunately I had already tried that (was the second or third thing LOL) and it did not help. Still slow POSTing, and when I use the second slot it drops to a PCI-X 8 instead of 16, which actually did make a slight difference for the slower in games.

But thanks so much for posting your fix, maybe it will help someone else out. Guess I'll continue digging around. I'm finding indications that it may be a motherboard incompatibility causing the slow POST, which would majorly suck as there was NO indication of any such incompatibility anywhere from either Asus or Gigabyte.

iueras

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Found the solution. :wahoo: In my case, it was indeed a BIOS issue. I have a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 Rev. 2. The latest BIOS on the Gigabyte support site was FHL, which I had already. But there was an unreleased BIOS version FHM that fixed the POST errors with a Radeon 5770 (which is the same GPU as the 6770). I found it on the Gigabyte UK forums for download. Downloaded, flashed BIOS, all is good with the POST issue now.

So if anyone is looking for a solution for this particular motherboard issue for this EXACT motherboard (It HAS to be Revision 2, Revision 1 and 1.1 use completely a different BIOS), the download for this BIOS can be found at http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7846.msg62167.html#msg62167. The attachment is named M57SLS42.zip, this is indeed the FHM BIOS for this mobo.

Hope this helps someone.