Sign in with
Your question

Rebuild posts with one short beep but no video

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 2:30:55 PM

I am down to PSU, SSD Drive and RAM, I get only the post beep all lights on fans running but no video.

I built the pc in January as a htpc, it ran great except for its problem not coming out of sleep. I loaded MCE Standby tool last week and changed settings and since then the pc would freeze randomly with the screen showing lines. After a couple days of trouble shooting, or should I say making it worse – the dvd rom disappeared from the system. I decided to rebuild as I had not made a restore point previous.

Steps taken:
1. I double checked all the connections (removing the dvdrom to be able to reseat the RAM) all looked good so booted and went to bios.

2. I had made changes to the bios so moved the jumper to reset the bios, booted into Bios saved changes and rebooted.

3. Windows began to boot and realized I did not have my dvd drive in so pushed the reset button and unplugged.

4.Hooked up the dvd, powered everything up and successfully posted (with the post beep) and then seconds later another single beep…

5.Looked up the single beep and read somewhere that is could be the RAM so did various configurations of the RAM, while making these RAM swaps I lost the second beep and now only had the single post beep.

6. Swapped power supply thinking that maybe it was the power supply, but still the same.

So here I am, I now get a post and nothing else. My next step is looking for some RAM to swap and try but in the back of my mind I am thinking motherboard? The DVDrom hovers centimeters over one of the RAM could I have hit it, or pushed it? Motherboard does not show any cracks but maybe I have to take it out and look on the bottom?

Thank you advance for the help.

The Specs:
MB - ASUS|P8H67-M LE (REV 3.0) H67 R
PSU - SEASONIC| SS-300TFX Bronze 300W
CPU - INTEL CORE I3 2100 3.1G 3M
SSD - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 64GB SATA
RAM – G.Skill 2X2gb GSKF3-10666CL9D-4GGBNQ R
Second Drive – Samsung HD204UI 2TB
Case – hec MicroATX Media Center
Monitor - connected to DVI port using onboard graphics
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2012 3:28:11 PM

have you tried booting with a single ram stick?
how about putting the ram sticks to slot 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3
m
l
March 27, 2012 3:42:48 PM

I have tried single ram sticks, I haven't though tried them in the 2 and 4 slots. I read that if I only had two sticks that i needed to put them in the 1 and 3 or if would not power up (blue vs black).
I try it and post back.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 10:25:25 PM

Tried all permutations and still no video, I get the single beep for post and nothing else. If I fire it up with no RAM I get the no RAM beeps, I unplugged the hard drive to lessen the components also. Is it possible that both sticks went bad after working fine for 3 months?
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:19:41 AM

Ok, after walking away and coming back I firmly seated the RAM - now I successfully get two short beeps, still no video though
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:48:18 PM

Tried a VGA cable to the monitor instead of the DVI cable, turns out the pc was booting all along, for some reason my DVI port is not working.. :pt1cable: 
m
l
!