Closed Solved

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card not fully powered?

Hey buddies, I put together my first PC build today. When it finally came down to turning it on and finding out if it was working, I got a "no signal" from my monitor. When I looked in the case, only two of the fans on the graphics card were spinning.

I've double and triple checked to make sure BOTH power cables are connected, as well as the card being seated correctly. Do I have a bad card?
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte radeon 6950 video card fully powered
  1. What are the specs of your power supply?
  2. Ah, sorry, should have included that in my first post. I have a SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply.
  3. What are your complete specs, so we can determine if your setup correctly. Especially the PSU that your using for your system.
  4. Sure, here you go:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-920-N520-GP 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-22B2Sb/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
  5. How many fans do you have on the video card?
    What you can do is power down and unplug the power supply , then take the card out of the slot and unplug the power cables and take out the motherboard battery. Then put the card back in making sure that it is seated all the way in and then plug in the power cables making sure that they are pushed all the way in and you hear the click od the latches. Then connect the video cable going to the monitor and make sure of both ends and finaly plug in the power supply and power up an see if there is any difference.
  6. So you connected both the 4 or 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors to the motherboard AND the 2 PCIe power connectors to your HD6950? Both pairs are firmly connected?

BTW, your PSU is fine for this rig. Good choice on the PSU.
  7. Correct, the 8pin/24pin and the two PCIe connectors are firmly connected.

And thanks!
  8. Make sure that the 8 pin power connector is the pci-e one and not the cpu one for the video card , it is easy to get those mixed up.
  9. No, both the connectors I used say "PCI-e" on them.
  10. Do you have the modular or "regular" Seasonic? If modular, did you firmly connect the cables into the proper sockets on the PSU. Make sure they click into place.
  11. It's modular, and yes I'm sure the cables have clicked into place.
  12. Since the video cardis new then I would call the tech support of the card and see if you have to RMA it , before the 30 days is over.
  13. Check this guide to step through your setup to make sure you didn't miss something:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
  14. I went through the guide, the only thing I didn't do correctly during my set up was use too much thermal paste. I cleaned some of it off of the CPU/heatsink (being EXTREMELY careful to not get any on other parts).

I've been through the whole guide now. No dice, middle fan still doesn't spin, still no signal to the monitor.

:(
  15. Gigabyte tech support ?
  16. Yeah, that's the next step I guess. Thanks for all the replies dudes. If you think of something else don't hesitate to post it! >.<
  17. Did you swap the cable going from the monitor ot the video card to see if the cable was bad?
  18. Check your monitor too , some monitors dont always pick up the signal on auto, go though the menu or source button if the monitor has one and go thru the inputs to see if the signal is there.
  19. Yeah, I thought of the monitor cable, but it was working on a different computer less than an hour ago. I'll check anyways, but that doesn't solve the problem of the fan not spinning. From what I gather all three fans are supposed to spin on start up.

This monitor definitely auto-detects the input, and I pointed it to the DVI input anyways.
  20. Best answer
    Fans not spinning?
    Appears that you may have a DOA, take the card back for an RMA
  21. bummertimes.
  22. Sorry mate , but if one of the fans ain't spinning theres def something wrong with it :(
  23. Best answer selected by RexMorganMD.
  24. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics