Sign in with
Your question

How to become a moderator

Last response: in Forum Feedback
December 9, 2011 6:54:23 AM

hey guys please can you people tell me how to become a moderator?

More about : moderator

December 9, 2011 9:59:48 AM

You have to answer a lot of questions with good answers, report a lot of spam or rule breakers, put effort to start interesting conversation and report news topic, so generally participate in forum activity at an enthusiastic level and rise through the rank.

If you are already in anandtech and have a lot of knowledge in regards to computer hardware or other area of consumer electronic, that gives you an advantage as you don't have to learn again and can give good answers straight away and you know what topic will be of interest here.

First step is to become a community reporter. Apply here:

http://blog.tomshardware.com/2010/08/call-for-community...
December 9, 2011 10:38:24 AM

Community Reporters do sometimes become moderators but that is not always the case (some choose not to, others are simply not suitable). At the end of the day, the moderation team approaches people who we think are good candidates. We don't have any "registration" processes.
Related resources
December 11, 2011 1:32:05 AM

Quote:
BTW, that thread is still open.

Closed.
December 11, 2011 1:33:59 AM

I want just enough power/authority to close threads that are based on piracy. They can be put on a quarantine/alert list for final disposition by regular mods (and verification they really did need attention).

It sort of ticks me off to tell the OP in those type post that they won't get help here and then a newcomer shows up and tells them how to accomplish what they were seeking because the thread didn't get closed or deleted after being reported. No, not ticked at the mods, but at the one-post-wonder that ignored that I refused the OP and they go ahead with help anyway.

I report all piracy I see but it seems my trend in the hours I'm here are when all/most mods are sleeping(?) and the post don't get acted on sometimes.,,, like this one
HERE. There was no follow-up by a nOOb this time, but sometimes there is. BTW, that thread is still open.

December 11, 2011 1:34:41 AM

Woa... time-warp
December 11, 2011 1:36:05 AM

Ya, not sure how that happened. I quoted your post before you posted it. :heink: 
December 11, 2011 1:36:12 AM

aford10 said:
Closed.

Thanx... been a sore-spot for a few days.
December 11, 2011 1:37:07 AM

aford10 said:
Ya, not sure how that happened. I quoted your post before you posted it. :heink: 

It's the thing about "When the speed of light just isn't fast enough"

Edit:     Wait a minute... Dude... are you a mind-reader?
December 11, 2011 4:14:52 AM

LOL! This is definitely the strangest thing ever happened in this forum.
December 11, 2011 5:38:23 AM

tigsounds said:

It sort of ticks me off to tell the OP in those type post that they won't get help here and then a newcomer shows up and tells them how to accomplish what they were seeking because the thread didn't get closed or deleted after being reported. No, not ticked at the mods, but at the one-post-wonder that ignored that I refused the OP and they go ahead with help anyway.

I have the same problem with requests for password help. No sooner do I post that we don't give advice on it and try to give a sensitive response, along comes another poster with a link to a cracking utility. It's a difficult subject - some posters might have stolen a laptop and want to hack into it where another may genuinely have forgotten a password which had been unnecessary for some time but now required.

The RoC are a little ambiguous by simply saying "Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection" but the Rules remain quiet on how illegal it is to give it. :D 

Given that new posters are highly unlikely to have read the RoC, they can hardly be disciplined for asking but a rap on the knuckles of posters who respond inappropriately could help here. Clarification of the RoC to make it clear that posters who do advise how to hack a system could be banned for a few days would make it a defined offence to post such advice.

December 12, 2011 4:46:06 AM

Pyree said:
LOL! This is definitely the strangest thing ever happened in this forum.

Naw... that's nothing. Sometimes someone can post days into the future. Something goes wrong with the time stamps or the system gets bogged down and a post shows then it doesn't, then it does again when it catches up with itself. I fear Tom's uses a Microsoft Windows system to run this place (maybe Win95?). :( 
December 12, 2011 4:52:57 AM

Correction: LOL! This is definitely the strangest thing ever happened in this forum for me so far.

tigsounds said:
Naw... that's nothing. Sometimes someone can post days into the future. Something goes wrong with the time stamps or the system gets bogged down and a post shows then it doesn't, then it does again when it catches up with itself. I fear Tom's uses a Microsoft Windows system to run this place (maybe Win95?). :( 

I need to pay more attention to find strange occurrence like this, now I know they are not rarity. May be report a few as bugs so people higher up pay attention to make things right.
!