Unknown Media Devices showing up on Win 7 network

cathyy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Okay umm my dad opened up the 'Network' window on Windows 7 and discovered several unknown media devices listed. He showed it to me and I went to check my router's DHCP Client's Table, but the table only showed my home desktops and my aunt's laptop and my iPhone.

I'm kinda wondering how all these weird devices popped up under my network screen when they don't appear to be connected to my router.

6YVDe.jpg

Here's a picture of my router's DHCP Client Table, all 4 computers listed are my home computers:

b3AkI.png

The media device are the HDD/storage that is in/connected to your computers with sharing and connected to the network through the computer's wifi. Given that you are pooh and your father is kevin (with two drive shared) and your aunt is is jarrell, this is completely normal.

cathyy

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

No, Kevin and Jarrell are unknown devices. None of the HDDs or Computers in my household are named Kevin or Jarrell. :(

This happens to me when I turn on network discovery at the university to share word docs. Try turning off network discovery by right click the wifi icon on bottom right corner>Open Network and Sharing Center>Change Advanced sharing settings.