Mobo or PSU problem

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 5:39:44 PM

Hi,

I just finished the HTPC build. But it has problem with mobo powering up. If the 4pin 12v connector is plug in, the mobo sometimes would boot up but most of the times it won't (e.g. 8 in 10 times try it would not boot up). But when it was able to boot up, I can install and run win7 on it without any problems. But when the system shuts down, and you try to power it up again, the system just won't boot up as it supposed. You have to pray that it will boot up.

Here is another test that i did. The following are the steps:
1. unplug the 12v 4pin connector. the 24 pin is still plugged in.
2. power up the system, the cpu fan and the case fan is running.
3. power down the system, plug in the 12v pin connector
4. power up the system, the cpu fan and the case fan is not running at all.
5. Now here is the fun part. if i keep hitting the power button, the system will "once in awhile" start.

So, is this mobo issue or power issue? or both?

here is my specs
1. Core i3 2100
2. Asrock z68-itx/ht
3. Antec ISK 300-65
4. DDR3 4GB

More about : mobo psu problem

a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2012 7:22:58 PM

nebbypro said:
Hi,

I just finished the HTPC build. But it has problem with mobo powering up. If the 4pin 12v connector is plug in, the mobo sometimes would boot up but most of the times it won't (e.g. 8 in 10 times try it would not boot up). But when it was able to boot up, I can install and run win7 on it without any problems. But when the system shuts down, and you try to power it up again, the system just won't boot up as it supposed. You have to pray that it will boot up.

Here is another test that i did. The following are the steps:
1. unplug the 12v 4pin connector. the 24 pin is still plugged in.
2. power up the system, the cpu fan and the case fan is running.
3. power down the system, plug in the 12v pin connector
4. power up the system, the cpu fan and the case fan is not running at all.
5. Now here is the fun part. if i keep hitting the power button, the system will "once in awhile" start.

So, is this mobo issue or power issue? or both?

here is my specs
1. Core i3 2100
2. Asrock z68-itx/ht
3. Antec ISK 300-65
4. DDR3 4GB

Just a shot in the dark here - but since your CPU (65 watts) is the same as your PSU (65 watts) could you be maxing out the PSU (fans, etc.)?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2012 1:33:03 AM

It seems to be a PSU problem. Can you try it with another PSU, perhaps one from a friend?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2012 3:34:24 AM

Have you tested the case switch to be sure it's OK?

Try bread boarding the motherboard with just the CPU/HSF, Memory, monitor, PSU connected. Try booting to BIOS. You can start the system by simply shorting the 2 pins the case PWR SW was connected to with a screwdriver. If the problem continues, it more than likely is the board.
m
l
March 28, 2012 6:38:33 AM

I agree with the above... Most likely a PSU problem unless your case button is the issue or the front panel I\o connectors.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2012 3:06:34 PM

I totally missed the fact that the Antec ISK 300-65 has a built-in PSU of only 65W. Yes, the low powered PSU is probably the issue.
April 7, 2012 1:31:32 AM

Best answer selected by nebbypro.
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:32:19 AM

The case actually works fine, but the problem is the 65W. Not enough power. Thank you for all your answers
m
l
!