New gaming rig or buy brothers?

Tmzl

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello everyone! Always reading here, never posting. So here I am for the first time

So here's the deal.

I used to have an old core athlon 2800 something that died long ago but right now...

Currently I'm playing on:
Asus rampage 2 extreme
i7 965 XE
6gigs of DDR3
Radeon 5970

But the problem is, it's not mine. It's my brothers PC and he's offering it to me for 1000€.

Right now he had no problems with me playing it but he's moving out and taking the PC or selling it to me.

I've been banging my head against the wall the whole day thinking and searching the internet if I should buy this or wait for Ivy bridge and Z77. I don't know what would be better.

He's shown me how it's overclocked to over 4ghz and how easy it is to do it.

Now I was thinking of buying a Z77 motherboard, either Maximus V GENE or SABERTOOTH Z77 when available. But what makes the Maximus V GENE better? I like the overclocking abilities of it, if it's anything like the rampage 2 ex, but I noticed it's Micro ATX. What's up with that? That's the thing bugging me. A fellow at the store where I was asking said Asus is planing to release a new Top End motherboard and I hope he didn't mean the Maximus V Gene, or did he?

Also how much would I benefit from a i7 3770 Ivy bridge CPU, compared to the i7 965 xe?

What does the K stand for at 3770K? Unlocked?

I've done the math a bit and if everything is right I should be getting

3770K = 332€ (got price on wiki)
ASUS Maximus V GENE = 190€
16 gigs of ram = 96€
GTX 680 = 500€

1118€

Also I'll buy some PC case that does it's job.

I don't mind paying more I've saved up 2000€ and made a silent pact in my head I'll be spending it all on a new rig. So I'm still way under budget. I'm really tempted to just take the PC from my brother and be done with it, and don't know about waiting for Ivy bridge to come. Also the 965 XE is overclocked to over 4Ghz how is it with 3770k? Will it be able to handle higher frequencies? Will it be as simple as the 965 to overclock? I've seen people with 2600k at 4,5Ghz on air and they all told me it's simple to do.

Mouse I'll get whatever, don't care to much
Keyboard also whatever
Monitor I'll still think about, I got LCD with tuner in my room that I use as TV right now.

Ivy Bridge is is due out April 29th along with the new Z77 and Z75 boards. Personally I would wait a month for it all to be on the shelves.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html <----- Quick and brief rundown of Ivy Bridge, PCI-E 3.0 cards and the new gen boards.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=1155 <---- Those are Asrocks Z77 and Z75 board line up so far...although they are going to add more boards here soon. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI also have their boards ready to go. They all get released with Ivy Bridge.

Tmzl

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for the reply Why_Me

I'm guessing the 2 mother boards I posted are just the first ones out? Since they're already selling them at some online stores.

I'll be sure to check back with a setup asap for you guys to review. But if anyone feels like it he can also recommend something, I'm always pleased to get help. Just make sure you use up as much of the budget, I want this thing to be a monster of a PC. But don't go overboard on PC cases or hard drives(might aswell be a WD green), all I want is the most awesome gaming performance for the first time in my life, that will actually be my own.

Tmzl

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks azeem40.

Unfortunately I don't like those plexi see through side panels. What I do love though is cable managment, cooling and most of all SILENCE! :)

http://static.vizworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/NVIDIA-600-1-595x411.jpg <------ The gtx 680 is out now and more Kepler cards are due out soon. Also that Corsair 600w psu isn't a good one to be recommended. It's manufactured by CWT for Corsair and it's pretty low budget. If you do plan on going with dual cards later on look for a 850w psu. If you don't plan on going with dual vid cards in the future than look for a cheaper motherboard that doesn't support a dual card set up...save some money.

Tmzl

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I think you've mistaken the first item. It's a PC Case not PSU :D but thanks for the info on it and motherboard. I prolly won't go with dual GPU since till now I've never ever heard anyone actually recommend it, that the gain isn't worth it.

How about the RAM? Anything you'd add to that?

And noticing the info from graphics cards. GTX 690 frequencies are lower then GTX 680, how does that make it a better GFX besides that it's actually two in one? Does it even bring the better gaming performance or is it all just for benchmarks? I've heard from friends that dual GPU GFX cards are total fail and not worth it at all. That games don't even suport it...

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions :< your signature is kinda frightening :p

The 690 is just two down clocked gtx 570's. But ya I saw Corsair and 600w and took it for the psu and not the case....lol.

Tmzl

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Ah ok thanks, so I'm guessing best buy would be GTX 680. And if for whatever reason upgrade to SLI later, would get more out of it then the GTX 690 and less trouble with everything?

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
oh also make sure you don't buy your brothers system for 1000 lol if he sells it to you for 1000 he can actually build one which is better than that >.<

but anyways.

yes 680 should be a great bet, even if it's alone it performs almost the same with a gtx580 in sli.

I'm not sure but since the gtx590 is a dual gpu of 580( which is watered down to the middle of a gtx570 and gtx580) so if the 690 is the same, you get more performance with dual gtx680 if you sli in the future