Sign in with
Your question

My ATI is fried

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2012 5:29:48 AM

Today i downloaded FurMark to stress test my graphics. My whole system is stock cooled and not overclocked. When i ran FurMark my graphics card rose to 72c which is high considering it never gets above 55c when gaming. After 10 minutes of the test running my pc cut out like it was unplugged out of the wall and it won't power on anymore if i have the graphics plugged in.

My pc's specs are

Asrock G41M motherboard
4 gb Kingston ddr3 ram
2x Segate barracuda 250gb hard drive
lg multi write burner
thermaltake litepower 700w
Core2duo e6750@ 2.66ghz
Diamond ATI hd5750 1gb

Any ideas on what fried my graphics card would be appreciated,
Thanks.

More about : ati fried

a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 5:38:22 AM

just buy a new one(GPU) :/ ...
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:47:05 AM

I figured i would have to :/  i was half way through a game too. Any ideas on a budget 1gb card that runs cool, can be Nvidia or AMD :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 76 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 6:19:51 AM

while 72 is kinda high its really not close at all to a GPU killing temp. Do you have access to another gpu you could try before buying a new one? I wonder about a PSU spike or damage to the socket... probably the card but still.

in anycase the 5750/6750 is still on the recommended list for a 100, if you've got more to spend the 6850 I'd a nice card.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-revie...
m
l
January 21, 2012 6:35:12 AM

I haven't got access to a spare card but i am using the pc with it's onboard VGA and its working and i have a spare motherboard and psu that i could try the card in tho. On further inspection of the graphics card some of the mosfets on it have turned blue from heat so i think it's dead :( . I am wondering if i should get a better PSU as well or of it is good enough.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 7:31:47 AM

I am not very familiar with diamond so its possible they had cheap/bad mosfets. But if it has a 6 pin connector I'd wonder about the PSU. high load gets high temps from high power. I initially wondered because its a thermaltake PSU but the one I did find reviewed in that line did well and you shouldn't really be stressing it with that card. the one they reviewed was only 450 Watts though.

the newegg page says Diamnd has a 5 year parts/labor warranty though, you might try an RMA as it is still a $100 card and it doesn't sound like you were abusing it... that's a pretty normal test. They might want to know if you have tried it in another PC though.

Diamond says its 2 or 5 years depending on when you bought and if you registered. otherwise its 1... but some companies seem to honor "extended" warranties even if you dont register. never hurts to ask

www.diamondmm.com/warranty

m
l
January 21, 2012 7:47:18 AM

Thanks. i doubt i will be able too do a rma though because i was given the card from my cousin as he wanted a better one and it didn't come with it's box or anything.

I was looking on ebay and came across this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-ATI-EAH5670-HD-1GB-DDR3...

I think it would run a bit hot though because my old card has twice the cooling.
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:28:08 AM

vadar47 said:
Thanks. i doubt i will be able too do a rma though because i was given the card from my cousin as he wanted a better one and it didn't come with it's box or anything.

I was looking on ebay and came across this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-ATI-EAH5670-HD-1GB-DDR3...

I think it would run a bit hot though because my old card has twice the cooling.

I would look around for local dealers first.

I have seen that exact card being sold on US ebay too for.. believe it was $10 more than it would cost getting it from Newegg, and if you follow his seller history, you can see he is selling that same card over and over (just saying he might do the same, buy the card from a store/site and charge a bit more when selling it off to someone else).

Also, that card would be about ~30% on average slower than what you had, keep that in mind.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 8:35:27 AM

everything is kinda relative. I saw a review where furmark had a 5750 at 85°C. my 4850s ran 95°c in crossfire cause I didn't have the best case cooling. Thats a lower card than what you had so probably less heat.

The reviews for that Asus card are pretty good from buyers on newegg though. fan might get a little loud it sounds like but drivers should let you adjust it... I cant really comment on pricing as I don't know where to shop around in Australia. did see this

www.mwave.com.au/sku-42060754-HIS_Radeon_AMD_HD_6670_Vi...
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:37:28 AM

All the shops in my area seem to only have the very bottom end cards or the real high end cards but none in the middle so i am sort off stuck to eBay, the card i found in the link isn't ideal but it seems to be as good as i've found so far. I find plenty of cards with good specs but they all seem to be passive cooled or have very small fans on them.
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:44:31 AM

Dat PSU, is not a true rated 700w psu. it's more of a substandard Thermaltake product.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 8:45:46 AM

Have you tried unplugging everything? 72c shouldn't be high enough to fry a card. Unplug the ATX, AUX, and even remove the ram. Wait a couple seconds then plug everything back in. (might as well pull the card and reset the bios as well.)

I wonder if its the PSU and not the card. Can you borrow a PSU or GPU to test?
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:49:13 AM

^^ i tried it with a different motherboard and psu that used to use and it just powerd on for a second then switched off. 2 off the mosfets on it, metal have turned blue
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:04:59 AM

unksol said:
everything is kinda relative. I saw a review where furmark had a 5750 at 85°C. my 4850s ran 95°c in crossfire cause I didn't have the best case cooling. Thats a lower card than what you had so probably less heat.

The reviews for that Asus card are pretty good from buyers on newegg though. fan might get a little loud it sounds like but drivers should let you adjust it... I cant really comment on pricing as I don't know where to shop around in Australia. did see this

www.mwave.com.au/sku-42060754-HIS_Radeon_AMD_HD_6670_Vi...

Wow that card is $130 in AU
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 9:25:41 AM

Yeah, sorry. I load a page and sometimes don't get to reply. If I don't refresh I don't see the new answers. If the card has visible issues, its toast.

Any chance for an RMA? You didn't OC it so you should be good. If its within warranty time.
m
l
a c 76 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 9:33:32 AM

vadar47 said:
Wow that card is $130 in AU

I assume since its the Australian site the price is in Australian currency, so 69.99. always possible I am wrong I suppose.
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:41:17 AM

4745454b said:
Yeah, sorry. I load a page and sometimes don't get to reply. If I don't refresh I don't see the new answers. If the card has visible issues, its toast.

Any chance for an RMA? You didn't OC it so you should be good. If its within warranty time.

It hasn't been oc but the site only covers 2 years for my model wich is from 2009.

And unksol i think its be because us dollar is usually worth more than Au im not sure
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:55:46 AM

i remember when i had a gtx 580 and would hit 79-82 in bf3...

those were the days!
m
l
January 21, 2012 9:58:06 AM

before i killed my hd5750 it would hit 50-55 on dead island and 56-60 on skyrim
m
l
!