Sign in with
Your question

POST issue

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 7:15:16 PM

Hello, I'm in the process of building a new PC but am having a bit of trouble.

I have the CPU, HSF, PSU and RAM in a breadboard build and I am getting 1 long beep, and 4 short beeps, then a pause and a short beep, during POST. The motherboard manual (Asus P8Z68V/ Gen3) doesn't mention this, but 1 long beep and 4 short beeps is a hardware fault.

I tried with just the CPU, HSF and PSU and it just did a memory missing beep. Is my RAM faulty? or is it possibly a Motherboard issue?

Thanks in advance.

More about : post issue

March 27, 2012 10:10:13 PM

If I remember right, 1 long 4 short is a PSU problem. Double check all your connections (especially the 8 pin EPS and 24 pin main power). Reseat your RAM, use only one stick/one slot.
March 28, 2012 3:27:20 PM

I tried your advice, still 1 long beep and 5 short beeps with a pause before the last. My HSF appears to be working and the lights on my mobo are too. I made sure the CPU is seated properly and tried both sticks of RAM separately, still same error.
March 28, 2012 5:22:12 PM

What video are you using? Onboard or discrete? The only things I can find is some people say that it's a CPU/mobo problem, others say it's a video power plug problem. More people side with mobo or bent CPU socket pins. Might be an RMA in your future.
!