Should I RMA my FX-8120?

pennywyz

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hello, I am close to my wits end with this problem and would appreciate any input.

I recently decided to upgrade and got the following:

Gigabyte GA 990FXA-UD5 rev 1.1, bios version F6
AMD FX-8120
G.SKILL Ripjaws 1866 (PC3 14900) RAM (2x4gb)

I used these from a previous build:

AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Diamond)
Corsair 850w power supply
WD Caviar 1.5 Tb HD

I tried to install Windows 7 which hung up at various points during multiple tries. I tried windows XP install which also failed. I tried the RAM at 1866, 1600, 1333 with no success, and tried upping the voltage a bit also without success. I also tried the memory in different slots and each stick by itself without success. I ran memtest and it never made it through a single pass without hanging, one time it showed two errors before hanging up, so I figured the RAM could be bad and RMA'd it.

While I was waiting for the RAM to be replaced, I tried Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM (2x2gb) and had the exact same issues as before, including the hang-ups during memtest. Also, the BIOS had the memory running at 1333 by default and when I tried to change it to 1600 the system wouldn't even post until I cleared the CMOS. I thought maybe a memory slot on the motherboard was bad (and one of the plastic clips broke off) so I decided to RMA it.

The replacement motherboard and memory are back and I'm still having the exact same problems. It has become very frustrating. The windows discs install without problem on my other PC. The video card, power supply, DVD drive and HD also work perfectly on the other PC.

I don't know if I should RMA the processor at this point, or maybe update the BIOS to f7 ? I'm really at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I had that exact same board originally for my build and same BIOS version. It died on me after 3 weeks.. Whether or not something is funky about that board model or not but I ended up getting my Asus Sabertooth instead and I'm very happy with it.

A more detailed description of what happened to the board..

A week before the board died, the computer bluescreened, ran memtest, one of the sticks tested bad.. Got that RMA'd from Corsair... Week later.. Main bios failure on the board.. Gigabyte tech were rude, and knew less about their own board than I did.

tigerdirect allowed me to swap boards, but they wouldnt do it with an Advanced exchange since it was a different brand.