Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I72600k + ASUS p8p67 Deluxe + ddr3 1600

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 10:03:36 PM

I'm upgrading from my Quad2Core - mostly I'll be running CS6 and video/audio editing. I would like some upgradability in 2-3 years. I'm open to upgrade PWS and Video card if it would make a difference. No overclocking unless I get bored or something. SLI: only if it would help with CS6.

Going to purchase from newegg This week from the USA:

• I7 2600k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

• EDIT based on recs: P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

• CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Currently Have:

• Monitor NEC 2490 WUXI
  • 600 w PowerSupply
  • 4x 7200 speed drives SATA 3gbs
  • nVidia GTX 260
  • M-Audio sound card

Where would the bottle necks in my system be? Any suggestions? Maybe a new faster SSD?

Budget: Under $1k.. if I come in under $800, going to buy myself this case so I can pretend I work on the deathstar. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Parts preference - Pretty happy with Intel. nVidia, ASUS and Gigabit have treated me well in the past.

TIA!
    March 27, 2012 10:11:32 PM

Yeah, what he said, go Z68 chipset. Asus P8Z68-V if you don't need the extra 2 SATA ports (has 2-SATA 6G and 4 SATA 3G) that the Asus P8Z68-V Pro version has.

You may want to bump that graphics card too. See the latest article from Tom's, and check the heirarchy chart to see what is just a few steps above yours.

Else, the GPU will be your bottleneck.

Do you need that much RAM? Even running CS6? But that's the cheapest part.

I'd scale down the CPU to a i5 2500K, but running CS6, you may want the hyper-threading of 4 cores. I don't know.
    Related resources
    March 27, 2012 10:12:59 PM

ASUS and Gigabyte would be my 2 first choices to look at (well, my ONLY 2 choices, hehe).
    March 27, 2012 10:27:26 PM

Several thoughts here:

• If you are not overclocking, do not get an i7 2600k. You want a plain i7 2600 processor. The K means its overclockable-- and they cost more.

• If your sole concern is CS6, have you considered a workstation graphic card? They should have better performance than a gaming card in CS6. Low end ones are available in your price range. (off the top of my head I'm not sure how they compare to the GTX 260 though)

• After the suggested upgrades --the hard drives would be your bottleneck. I agree that an SSD boot drive would be a good option - for your system and CS6, then put everything else (except the file you are currently working on) on another drive. The Crucial M4 is a good, reliable option -- so are the Samsung and Intel drives.

• Z68 as suggested is a good idea.

Edit: 600w is plenty - only upgrade the power supply if the one you have is a no-name brand. Good PSUs last many years, crappy ones need to be replaced or they can die and burn up a system. Seasonic is the best manufacturer IMO. Corsair, Antec and others sell quality units as well.
    March 27, 2012 10:33:51 PM

I might want to oc in the future, and its only like a $25 difference. I will look into the workstation cards. Thoughts on SSD vs graphics card? I'm guessing SSD would be better.

You suggest putting the file I am working on, on the SSD? I guess Ideal would be 2 SSDs?
    March 27, 2012 10:47:36 PM

foscooter said:
    See the latest article from Tom's, and check the heirarchy chart to see what is just a few steps above yours.

I'd scale down the CPU to a i5 2500K, but running CS6, you may want the hyper-threading of 4 cores. I don't know.

Ok I'll look into dropping the CPU to i5 .. where is the heirarchy chart for video cards?
    March 27, 2012 10:51:58 PM

kcroy said:
    I might want to oc in the future, and its only like a $25 difference. I will look into the workstation cards. Thoughts on SSD vs graphics card? I'm guessing SSD would be better.

You suggest putting the file I am working on, on the SSD? I guess Ideal would be 2 SSDs?

Cool - totally fine if you want the option, I just wanted it to be clear that there was a difference.

Yes - SSDs make whatever is on them work faster. For example -- iTunes is on my SSD so it loads really fast, but then when I try to search my music library (on the storage drive) everything slows down. This isn't a huge deal -- saving or moving a file to a hard drive is really only a few seconds --but if the file you are working on is on the SSD you mostly eliminate that wait too.
    March 27, 2012 10:55:58 PM

kcroy said:
    Ok I'll look into dropping the CPU to i5 .. where is the heirarchy chart for video cards?

I would say stick with the hyperthreading and larger cache in the 2600 if you are video editing.

Edit: Toms provides a GAMING hierarchy chart. (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...) This is not the best chart for your purposes, because you are looking for CS6 performance. I'll see if i find something better.
    March 27, 2012 10:56:54 PM

Wish the SSDs were a bit bigger.. I've got 200g on my c drive right now, and its just desktop and apps. I keep my working files on a separate drive (plus a scratch drive).
    March 27, 2012 11:04:29 PM

deadlockedworld said:
    I would say stick with the hyperthreading and larger cache in the 2600 if you are video editing.

Edit: Toms provides a GAMING hierarchy chart. (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...) This is not the best chart for your purposes, because you are looking for CS6 performance. I'll see if i find something better.

Video editing is secondary.. mostly it is Photoshop, some video some music some gaming.

Looking around, I'm not sure the workstation cards are going to boost photoshop any more than the gamer cards. I'll go bug the adobe forums about my system :) 

Best solution

March 27, 2012 11:10:46 PM

kcroy said:
    Looking around, I'm not sure the workstation cards are going to boost photoshop any more than the gamer cards. I'll go bug the adobe forums about my system :) 

I definitely agree that the CPU upgrade is your first priority. Everything else is after that and is really minor in comparison.
    March 27, 2012 11:26:03 PM

Thanks I really appreciate all the fast and friendly feedback :) 
    April 1, 2012 5:18:24 AM

Best answer selected by kcroy.
    !