Wire routing issue, and case help

How do people keep wires out of sight? And, when routing wires, what do you do about fan connectors on the side panel? I have some extensions, so I could make it longer, but I need to be able to open the case panel to get to my equipment for upgrades and the like. So how do you route it in that situation?

Also, due to using so many SATA ports I find that the cut outs for my wires get crowded leading to a difficult time removing/adding new cables or just sorting the cables I already have inside. What solutions are there for this? I'm particularly paranoid about it due to the little plastic guides on the SATA ports being so fragile sometimes. Are there extensions I can use for those? or maybe thinner cords to allow more of them to pass through the case cut out?

Lastly, I find that while I love my Antec DF-85 case, in terms of space for wire routing it's lacking. I can't even imagine how bad it'd be if I chose to upgrade my mobo to an extended ATX... As such, what are some better options in terms of cases to the DF-85? How's the Cosmos II? And I hear everyone rave about the HAF-X, but is it the same size as the DF-85? Does that mean I'll run into the same issues?
10 answers Last reply
More about wire routing issue case help
  1. Throw some pics up and I'll see if I can plan anything for you,
    Any fullsize tower should be good for C.m., although extension cables can be required,
    On phone atm though so can't link anything useful
    Moto
  2. Antec P280 Big and Beautiful
  3. Cable management & changing of hardware always tend to pose a problem.
    I have an NZXT Phantom crafted case which has even more cable cutouts w/ rubber grommets than your Antec (or check the Switch 810 - even bigger). Their cutouts help.
    NZXT also sells this cabe, http://store.nzxt.com/product_p/pc-cb%20sata44p.htm ,
    which could help for sata drives.
    Bottom line, if constantly changing hardware, it can be tough, possibly run the maximum sata cables to all possible slots (well labeled or different colors) to ease drive changes).

Jim
  4. Motopsychojdn said:
    Throw some pics up and I'll see if I can plan anything for you,
    Any fullsize tower should be good for C.m., although extension cables can be required,
    On phone atm though so can't link anything useful
    Moto

PSU and GPU
    View with side panel on

Sorry they're pretty much crap, I don't have an actual camera anymore so I'm relegated to using the cell. I will try to get a better image that shows the whole thing over all, but in the mean time...

That's a stock photo I found.

As long as the visible area is neat, that's been my moto so far. It seems no matter how many times I re-hook all of my cables up, it just comes out messier :pt1cable:
  5. Sorry for delay in answering man, lifes been interesting lately....

First off yup, bad photo's lol, not to worry though,
    I prefer this level of cable management, but I'm Ocd :P

I'll link you my logs, maybe you can see how I do things and get a better idea for your case,
    but theres plenty of space in that case as far as I can see, its just utilising it effectively,
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=279226&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=287494&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=311860&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
    thats in order of building so you can see how I've progressed myself, one thing I learned was that planning is everything,
    you know where the cable leaves the Psu, and where you need that cable to be, plan the route and feel free to take a scenic route if it takes up slack, cable ties are handy for making anchors and drivebays can be used to loop extra length in whilst being tucked out of the way,
    Have a look through and ask if theres anything you want particular help on :)
    Moto
  6. noidis said:
    PSU and GPU
    View with side panel on

Sorry they're pretty much crap, I don't have an actual camera anymore so I'm relegated to using the cell. I will try to get a better image that shows the whole thing over all, but in the mean time...

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1371/antec_df85_021.jpg That's a stock photo I found.

As long as the visible area is neat, that's been my moto so far. It seems no matter how many times I re-hook all of my cables up, it just comes out messier :pt1cable:

If you could get a photo of the side off (like in Moto's) with all of the case in view i think that would help, also a pic of the back panel.
  7. metal orient said:
    If you could get a photo of the side off (like in Moto's) with all of the case in view i think that would help, also a pic of the back panel.

Alright, I tried to get some better pics together.

Back Panel Off (More of the lower shown)

Back Panel Off (More of the upper shown)

Tried to get a straight on view of the inside.

The inside again, this time focusing more on the bottom area where the main PS cords are routed out to the back.

Another of the upper, trying to pan out to get more in one picture.

That's probably the best I can do, mainly because the further I get with the camera the more blurred everything looks... Any help would be great (I know I'm sorry it's such a mess. These cables hate me!)

Also, Moto, while looking over your diaries on your case mods... I have to say they were all impressive, but one thing really stuck out. It looked like you taped your cables? Is that safe? Does it affect the ability to move them about? Would it help me any? (Because it looked down right spiffy.)

Thanks guys for the help. I keep trying to go back in and sort it out, but sheesh is it hard.
  8. I.....

Er...

Erm...

Ok, I'm far enough. Down the page that I can't see those links :-)

Yes, on my old build I did use electrical tape, it goes really stiff which can be useful, but its a pita to remove :-)
    I think your best option here is a full strip, put the psu into the case and put wires through to the back as soon as possible,
    Then take one cable at a time and think where you will need them,
    Then think about the best route it can take to get where its needed, loop it back on itself, go the scenic route to take up slack
    20+4 first then the Cpu 4/8pin, gfx cards then molex and sata's
    Your sata data leads are easy to manage, just plan a little and you'll find the best hidden route for them, I'm here to scream at if you need though :-)
    Moto
  9. noidis said:
    Alright, I tried to get some better pics together.

Back Panel Off (More of the lower shown)

Back Panel Off (More of the upper shown)

Tried to get a straight on view of the inside.

The inside again, this time focusing more on the bottom area where the main PS cords are routed out to the back.

Another of the upper, trying to pan out to get more in one picture.

That's probably the best I can do, mainly because the further I get with the camera the more blurred everything looks... Any help would be great (I know I'm sorry it's such a mess. These cables hate me!)

Also, Moto, while looking over your diaries on your case mods... I have to say they were all impressive, but one thing really stuck out. It looked like you taped your cables? Is that safe? Does it affect the ability to move them about? Would it help me any? (Because it looked down right spiffy.)

Thanks guys for the help. I keep trying to go back in and sort it out, but sheesh is it hard.

Wow that is a lot of cables. A lot of cables.

I have taped some of my cables down with sellotape, and it works fine as far as i can tell (although it can't really hold the 24 pin cable), i have also used clips which have a sticker on the back to hold cables as well.

I see a lot of molex connections there, what are they all for?

How many hard drives are you using? I think it should be possible to loop the sata date cables through the hard drive cage holes (on the side) which should free up a hole, so you can move the 24pin cable behind the tray.

But pretty much what Moto said start a cable at a time. and consider all the parts of the case.
  10. Dude, seriously. You are OK.

I mean, that's a lot of cables by some people's standards, but you got most of it right. As many cables as possible through the back, underneath the motherboard. Nothing obviously getting in the way of the CPU or GPU fans. Most of the front is relatively clear.

You could possibly do better with some more effort, but you are already doing better than 98% of people. My own case is much more cluttered than that, and I really just ignore it as long as it's not creating heat problems. Don't worry so much.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Systems