Which is better for ram

tygasp

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I'm building a computer and was wondering if I got one stick of g.skill ripjaws memory(4gb) to start and then got another one later is that would work. So I guess that my main question is if the computer will run the one stick efficiently, or run at all, or if I should get two sticks now. Only reason I ask is that I'm on a tight budget. Thanks for looking at this.

Solution

Yes you can do that. Depending on where you going with your build you may only need to add 1 more stick. Your computer will not have any problem with 4gbs (unless of course your running xp) it'll just run that much better with 8. :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Yes you can do that. Depending on where you going with your build you may only need to add 1 more stick. Your computer will not have any problem with 4gbs (unless of course your running xp) it'll just run that much better with 8. :)

Solution

striker410

Distinguished
Actually there will be no noticeable difference between 4GB and 8GB unless you are doing video or photo processing/editing. Most people get 8GB because it's cheap and futureproof. What's more important is the MHz. 1600 should provide a sizable boost in speed over 1333MHz.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Well actually if there is no noticeable difference between 4gbs and 8gbs and it'll run better in dual channel perhaps you can save some money and get 2-2gb sticks and you'll have your 4gbs and your dual channel! Sound like a plan? :D