Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which is better for ram

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2012 10:33:47 PM

Hi, I'm building a computer and was wondering if I got one stick of g.skill ripjaws memory(4gb) to start and then got another one later is that would work. So I guess that my main question is if the computer will run the one stick efficiently, or run at all, or if I should get two sticks now. Only reason I ask is that I'm on a tight budget. Thanks for looking at this.

More about : ram

March 27, 2012 10:47:10 PM

Yes, you can do that.

Keep in mind however that it won't run as fast as dual channel ram. Having two sticks will be faster, which is why that's the standard configuration. Single channel will work just fine, though.
m
l

Best solution

March 27, 2012 10:50:07 PM

tygasp said:
Hi, I'm building a computer and was wondering if I got one stick of g.skill ripjaws memory(4gb) to start and then got another one later is that would work. So I guess that my main question is if the computer will run the one stick efficiently, or run at all, or if I should get two sticks now. Only reason I ask is that I'm on a tight budget. Thanks for looking at this.

Yes you can do that. Depending on where you going with your build you may only need to add 1 more stick. Your computer will not have any problem with 4gbs (unless of course your running xp) it'll just run that much better with 8. :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 27, 2012 10:55:56 PM

Actually there will be no noticeable difference between 4GB and 8GB unless you are doing video or photo processing/editing. Most people get 8GB because it's cheap and futureproof. What's more important is the MHz. 1600 should provide a sizable boost in speed over 1333MHz.
m
l
March 27, 2012 11:09:35 PM

Well actually if there is no noticeable difference between 4gbs and 8gbs and it'll run better in dual channel perhaps you can save some money and get 2-2gb sticks and you'll have your 4gbs and your dual channel! Sound like a plan? :D 
m
l
March 28, 2012 1:05:39 AM

Best answer selected by tygasp.
m
l
!