Sign in with
Your question
Solved

10 year old full-tower for new build?

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2012 2:03:48 AM

Hi everyone,

I am planning to do my first ever custom gaming pc build at the beginning of November this year and I would like to save a few bucks by re-using my old full-tower from 10 years ago.

Just wondering if I will have to drill any holes or make any modifications to the case to fit a new motherboard (I'm thinking X79)

Here's a few pictures of the dusty beast...

More about : year full tower build

a c 111 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 2:24:15 AM

Sure, I don't see why not!

As long as it can fit atx, it will be able to fit EATX as well. (EATX boards are just slightly wider)
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:25:23 AM

I meant Z77 board. Put the extra money on the GPU right?

Here's a better pic of my old MOBO...

m
l
Related resources
a c 111 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 2:26:12 AM

Put the extra money on a good power supply, and some fans.

You want at least one intake and one outtake.
m
l

Best solution

a c 158 ) Power supply
July 11, 2012 11:48:01 AM

If the cae is in good condition and you are happy with it, then there is no reason to replace it. It looks like a standard ATX case so it should be compatible a Z77 board. The stanchion placements haven't changed in the ATX standard so you're GTG on that front.

For a 10yr old case it's actually not that dusty. I'd do a thorough cleaning of the case and breadboard the new system prior to installing the new parts in the old case.
July 13, 2012 1:55:54 AM

Hey thanks a lot guys!

I will definitely be getting new fans and PSU and just be reusing the drivebays, optical drives, and case.

I will post in greater detail in October, as I understand it is a waste of time to speculate on what parts to get 14 weeks in advance.

Though as far as a PSU goes, I would like a "Seasonic X-Series X-1050 1050W Modular 80 Plus Gold" just to be on the safe side. I want to run dual graphics cards next year and do not want to be kicking myself in a few years when I want to upgrade... maybe 1250W?
m
l
July 14, 2012 12:54:24 AM

Best answer selected by Gar9.
m
l
!