Sign in with
Your question

Possible overheat damage?

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2012 2:12:41 AM

Yesterday after my laptop shutdown due to what I believe was an overheat my Xps m1330 has been stuck at a speed of about 797MHz. The max speed is 2.2GHz. Cant do anything with the laptop without risking overheat. I think somethings been damaged but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

More about : overheat damage

a c 186 à CPUs
July 11, 2012 2:19:26 AM

There most likely is dust stuck inside of the vents blocking the fans airflow. Grab a can of compressed air and blow out the vents, most likely dust will come out. Also, grab a cheap laptop cooler, it will be enough to cool your laptop down.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 2:19:26 AM

First of all, what makes you believe that its overheating??

Where did u check ur CPU freq's? and under what load condition??
What about your graphics card, which model is it??
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 2:33:10 AM

amuffin said:
There most likely is dust stuck inside of the vents blocking the fans airflow. Grab a can of compressed air and blow out the vents, most likely dust will come out. Also, grab a cheap laptop cooler, it will be enough to cool your laptop down.

I have a cooler plus the room is air conditioned and i dusted the vents recently but ill be a bit more thorough this time.
m
l
July 11, 2012 2:55:28 AM

$hawn said:
First of all, what makes you believe that its overheating??

Where did u check ur CPU freq's? and under what load condition??
What about your graphics card, which model is it??

Honestly the only reason i believe its overheating is because the section of the keyboard that rests over the CPU area was extremely hot

after my laptop shut down the first time i used both Cpu-Z and Real Temp and they both say 797MHz
im not sure what the load was before the first shutdown but the only programs i remember running were Google chrome, AVG and MS security essentials. if there was any thing else it was the same stuff that ive been using for the past 2.5 years

the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2012 7:14:59 AM

800MHz mostly is the idle speed of ur processor. CPU's clock themselves down to save power whenever there's no really heavy work to do, like running all those programs u mentioned :) 
Keep CPU-Z open and run some real heavy load, like convert a small movies file...u'll see the clock speed jump up :D 

As for heating, u can try a lappy cooler like amuffin said :) 
m
l
July 11, 2012 9:58:30 PM

$hawn said:
800MHz mostly is the idle speed of ur processor. CPU's clock themselves down to save power whenever there's no really heavy work to do, like running all those programs u mentioned :) 
Keep CPU-Z open and run some real heavy load, like convert a small movies file...u'll see the clock speed jump up :D 

As for heating, u can try a lappy cooler like amuffin said :) 

If that is its idle speed that's odd because its never been that low, not even on day one. As for trying a heavier load anything more than real temp and CPUZ at this point make the case feel like its going to melt. Its just sits at 800MHz as the temp slowly reaches around 90C and shuts off. Ive had a cooler for a year and the room is always well air conditioned.
m
l
!