Console Gaming LAN...Need Help...

GeorgiaGamer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I am looking to host a large console (Xbox 360) LAN and have purchased several switches to handle the networking. I know the Xbox 360 operates at 10/100 speeds, so I purchased a Cisco 24-port 10/100 switch, which you can review at the following link:

Cisco SR224: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/product [...] 3b76.shtml

I called Cisco to ask them personally whether or not this switch could handle 24 Xbox 360s playing/communicating simultaneously. The phone call was grueling and unprofitable; I knew more about the switch than they did...

So, I figured I would ask you guys. Someone who knows more than me (but is not an expert) expressed some concern about the switch, saying something along the lines of "well, Xbox 360 games are applications and require IP addresses, which are qualities of layer 3 networking. Switches are layer 2, generally. I don't know if your switch(es) can handle the work flow..."

This was all very confusing to me because I am a pedestrian in the realm of Information Technology/Networking. The question in my head is, "a switch is designed to network devices, and an Xbox 360 is a device, so why would there be a problem?"

I am willing to upgrade to a 24-port gigabit switch, if necessary, but I would love any explanations/advice/suggestions from the informed crowd here.

Can someone help me out? Thanks--

(Since this is a Gaming/Networking question, I posted in this thread as well as the console gaming thread. No disrespect intended by the double post.)

sturm

Splendid
link is bad. What model switch is it? Home class or business class?

I seriously doubt 24 Xbox 360s are going to saturate a 100 Mb switch.

Now one thing you will still need is a dhcp server to handle addressing. Depending on the model of the switch ,this can be done within the switch itself.
If not then a computer setup to handle DHCP will do the trick.

GeorgiaGamer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
It is a small business class switch. Here is the interesting thing. Just yesterday, I brought my equipment to an 8-player LAN and tested these switches out.

The Cisco switch worked beautifully. In fact, everyone didn't want to stop playing on it. It worked just about as well as my Dell 2808 Gigabit switch. Of course, my question is, "Will this Cisco switch work as well when 24 people are playing on it?"...

Also, the switch is unmanaged, and in a sense, so are Xbox 360s. We simply connected 8 Xboxes to the switch, and all Xboxes were communicating to one another immediately.

On another note, I tried out a brand-new Netgear 16-port, and there was some in-game lag. This is ironic because Netgear is used by the big national tournament league, although they use the Gigabit version.

After testing the switch, I am optimistic, but now I am concerned with the performance of the switch when 24 players are using the switch simultaneously, as opposed to just 8...

TRENDING THREADS