Force display to DVI Port

scampc

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hi, I have a ViewSonic 28" LCD monitor that kind of doesn't work.... (Radeon HD6870 with 4 monitors, this one outputs to HDMI and adapted to DVI) Out of Warranty BTW.

About 2-4 weeks ago, it started flashing on and off once I turned it off, but worked fine otherwise. after restarting today for the 1st time since then, my graphics card will not detect the monitor any more. I replaced 2 bloated capacitors on the main board to no avail, exactly the same.

Since I know it works when the computer thinks it's there, is there any way to force the graphics card to output to that port or trick the driver to think the monitor is there? The monitor no longer has the ability to tell the graphics card what it is and that it's there so how can we do this with software?

I'm about to try (eew) VGA, but I cannot use VGA for my 4 monitor set up but it might be a temporary solution if it works.

Thanks.

scampc

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Because it was working for weeks after i suspected the capacitors went when it started flashing at power off and it stopped exactly when my computer restarted, it displayed "Shutting down" then at POST it did not. Could be an extremely well-timed coincidence

TRENDING THREADS