Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HIGH end Water/Tec Home built vs Pre-built

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2012 12:25:36 AM

My Quest

I have purchased a total of one Pre-built computer in my life an apple IIe from longer ago then I care to say the rest I have built both air and water cooled
I am going to upgrade my main system I started looking around Digital storm can build it for me for a not a whole lot more then it would cost me there are Pro’s and Con’s to doing it myself or having DS build it
DS will put a Tec on the CPU where I was going to use 4 water loops 1 for I am sure my water cooling system is better than the one DS is using DS has a warrantee.
DS has a good rep on the net , to be honest If I thought I could properly POT the TEC, Insulate the Socket and get a Phase Change cooler installed correctly I would go for it just to say I Built it but I just don’t have the time, so I am torn hit the buy now button and it will show up at my door ready to give me many hours of enjoyment or hit add to cart about 50 times on 50 different web sites and hope I didn’t miss any parts then spend 10 hours building the thing

DS System
Specifications:
Chassis Model: - Black OPS Syndicate Cryo-TEC Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive RevoDrive2 X3
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On

Video Card: 3x GTX 580 3GB EVGA Ultra Hydro Copper
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Display: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (Asus 23 inch 120Hz VG236H + NVIDIA 3D Glasses)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (USB) (920-000969)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 (Laser 5700 dpi) (MMO/RTS Gaming Mouse) (USB Wired)


Personal Built
MountainMods Case
4 GXT360 Radiators
4 Pumps
DangerDen CPU Block
Other than that all hardware is the same

March 28, 2012 12:41:51 AM

I won't go into the relative benefits of builds here, but there's no way you can go 580, no matter what. It's the last generation now. Custom companies will get you 680s, and 7900s are actually available on their own. Both are better values than the 580.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 1:13:44 AM

You should be looking at Case Labs cases, not MM.

As for the rest of it, 4 separate loops does nothing for you. Have you even considered how you will route 6 separate tubes into the expansion slot area?

Get 2 GTX 680s and put them on one pump, and one good rad.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 1:40:26 PM

Proximon said:
You should be looking at Case Labs cases, not MM.

As for the rest of it, 4 separate loops does nothing for you. Have you even considered how you will route 6 separate tubes into the expansion slot area?

Get 2 GTX 680s and put them on one pump, and one good rad.



I picked four loops so no one device would be getting the already heated water from the prior device as for mounting and running all that tube it will fit easy in this

http://www.mountainmods.com/ascension-cyo-choose-your-o...
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 1:41:04 PM

kajabla said:
I won't go into the relative benefits of builds here, but there's no way you can go 580, no matter what. It's the last generation now. Custom companies will get you 680s, and 7900s are actually available on their own. Both are better values than the 580.



680HC isn't out yet but I guess I can wait a week or so.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 1:42:31 PM

Everyone kind of glossed over my question for the small difference in amounts would it be better to do pre-built with warrentee or build it myself.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 3:19:23 PM

in this budget i would build

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

and for cooling

rad : The monolithic Black Ice® GT Xtreme 560

http://hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=art...

chipset block : X79 Rampage IV WaterBlock Set

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/chipset-water...

memory block : Memory WaterBlock (4 Slot) x2

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/chipset-water...

cpu block : EK-Supreme HF - EN (Nickel)

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/ek-...

gpu block : EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal+EN (Nickel)

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/fc-...

pump EK - koolance mcp655 pump with bitspower uber mod

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1213485100_Bitspower_D...

resovior : DD-RAD-Reservoir

http://www.dangerden.com/store/danger-den-rad-reservoir...


this will be the awesome build and will play games on high and those ips monitors are gorgious and cooling equipment is cool

(i aint pro when it comes to wc but has a bit knowledge) but if you want a pro suggestion of wc then head straight to water cooling divison

good luck and happy to answer


m
0
l
March 28, 2012 6:58:40 PM

belezeebub said:
I picked four loops so no one device would be getting the already heated water from the prior device as for mounting and running all that tube it will fit easy in this

http://www.mountainmods.com/ascension-cyo-choose-your-o...


There is no "heated water" in the way that you are thinking. The water in your loop heats GRADUALLY, over time.

You still don't get what I'm talking about with the tubes. It's not about the size of your case, it's about the area of your GPUs. No one EVER does what you are proposing, for good reason.

Sample Case Labs build
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2778...


m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:28:58 PM

I guess I don't get what you are saying

(Overly simple example)

you have 1 gallon of water at 30C water flows from the tank to your CPU where it is heated to 40c this 40c water flows from your cpu to your GPU where it is heated to 45c this water flows to your next video card where is is heated to 50c this water flows to your radi where it is agives up its heat and is cooled to 30c) and the whole process starts over again


My Suggestion

4 Loops 4 Pumps for radi and 4 tanks

Loop 1 CPU
Water flows from tank to CPU where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 2 GPU1
Water flows from tank to GPU1 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 2 GPU2
Water flows from tank to GPU2 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 3 GPU3
Water flows from tank to GPU3 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

m
0
l
March 29, 2012 3:54:08 AM

You are wrong.

The water dont get heated fast as it has very high specific jeat capacity which means it can carry much greater heat without increasing the temparature of the water much more.

When the water flows the cpu block has a constant flow of water and a small amount of heat is taken away of a small amount of water.

Eg. lets us assume that the temp of the cpu is 40 c and the water is at room temp i.e. 25 c when 5 ml of water passes through the cpu block its temp decrease i.e. 39 c and then again another batch of water comes and touches the cpu block making it more cooler .

Therefore the temp of the water increase in a 1c .

Also if you want to keep your gpus cool at the same temp then arrange the loop in parallel position dye to this the cool water is distributed equally.


Keep the formula simple.

For 1 cpu 1 120 mm rad and for one gpu 1 120 mm rad so you will need a quadraple 120 mm rad. i suggested a quadriple 140 mm rad which is bonus and will give you oc headrom.

Am i right. if not correct me
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 4:59:29 AM

belezeebub said:
I guess I don't get what you are saying

(Overly simple example)

you have 1 gallon of water at 30C water flows from the tank to your CPU where it is heated to 40c this 40c water flows from your cpu to your GPU where it is heated to 45c this water flows to your next video card where is is heated to 50c this water flows to your radi where it is agives up its heat and is cooled to 30c) and the whole process starts over again


My Suggestion

4 Loops 4 Pumps for radi and 4 tanks

Loop 1 CPU
Water flows from tank to CPU where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 2 GPU1
Water flows from tank to GPU1 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 2 GPU2
Water flows from tank to GPU2 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank

Loop 3 GPU3
Water flows from tank to GPU3 where it is heated to 35c back to radi where it is cooled back to 30c then back to tank



This just indicates that you don't know how water cooling works. Come on over to the WC forum if you're dead set on getting a loop up and running; we're always glad to help if you're willing to put in the effort and learn :) 
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 5:25:25 AM

Yes good advice. Stop, back up, and learn more before planning out your build. Otherwise you are asking for trouble. Big, expensive trouble.

m
0
l
!