Sign in with
Your question

HD6950 Display Driver Keeps crashing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2012 12:48:07 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Sapphire HD6950 1GB Dirt 3.

The problem is that the display driver frequently crashes. This can happen while playing a game, but it can also happen when I am simply watching a video or surfing the web. However, the big majority happen while playing games.

I have obviously monitored the temperature when this happened, seeing if there was a problem with it, but no luck. Temperature never goes above 56 Celsius.

When the display driver crashes it always makes every 'monitor's picture' freeze for around five seconds, before I get a black screen and the driver gets restored. Sometimes I can simply continue playing the game, other times the game freezes and I have to restart. (VERY, VERY annoying when PVP'ing in for example EvE Online)

At first I thought that the problem was that the card underclocked when idle, and wasn't fast enough to switch back into performance mode when something interesting happened (The issue always happened when there are moving graphical objects), so I went into CCC, saved a preset, and edited the XML file so that the card would never underclock, always staying at 840 MHz. Altough the card still sometimes drops back to 750 MHz, the majority of the time it was actually running 840.

However this went without any luck.

Then I decided that maybe I should give the driver some more time to restart, so I edited the TDR wait time to eight seconds, however this went without luck aswell.

I have also obviously tried running driver sweeper, I even did a fresh Windows installation to try and resolve the issue.

Here are my systems specifications:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, G0
Asus P5G41T-M LX
Corsair 8GB XMC RAM
OCZ 30GB VertexPlus SataII SSD
Samsung 1TB HDD
Seagate Barcuda 500GB HDD
Cooler Master Elite 430 case
Scythe Mugen 3 cooler
Sapphire HD6950 1GB Dirt 3 edition
OEM Fijustu Siemens DVD Drive
Be!Quiet Dual-Rail 500 Watt PSU

BIOS: American Megatrends 2.61

If you need me to look up the exact model numbers of the RAM, HDD's or anything else, let me know.

Could you help me resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Mastermind-
June 25, 2012 2:18:50 PM

Hi Mastermind,

I'm having the exact same problem with my sapphire 6950 2G Dirt 3 edition.

Tried different drivers (clean installs) and also fresh OS install (w7 64bit).
I've run stress tests on CPU, Ram and GPU and GPU Ram in different configurations; overclock, underclock, stock, 4G ram, 8Gram, audio enable/disable, including w7 tweaks with UAC, TDR, ULPS and what not, etc etc.
The problem is that no matter what settings i use, the crashes are completely random and mostly in games, seldomly on desktop, but never when stress testing... So I have no clue what to do.

Have you had any luck in solving your problem?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Asus P5E
Gskill 4x2GB 1066 Ram 5-5-5-15
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
2x Samsung 320GB 7200 HDD
Scythe Mugen cooler
Sapphire HD6950 2GB Dirt 3 edition
Samsung DVD Drive
Corsair tx750 PSU

best regards,

Daragman
June 25, 2012 2:25:32 PM

Hello,

Interesting that you have the same problem with an asus P5 too.
I have sent my card RMA but after two weeks they told me it was clean, AMD support doesn't have a clue and as last resort I recently ordered a new motherboard (an Intel) to see if it's a motherboard issue. Ill be getting it later this week.

Best Regards,
Mastermind
Related resources
June 25, 2012 4:02:14 PM

Hi,

thx for reply.

Hope al goes well with new mobo. Is it only mobo or also new CPU? like i5 or i7?

Would appreciate if you could let me know if the problem is resolved with the new hardware, cause if so, then i'll just have to suck it uptill my next upgrade.

by the way, any costs involved with the RMA, cause 'they' couldnt finf a fault with the card???

best regards,

daragman
June 25, 2012 4:35:54 PM

Hey,

Only a new Mobo, I do not nearly have enough cash to get another processor aswell. (well, not a good one at least).

Ill most certainly let you know. My shop didn't charge for the RMA, I only had to pay for sending the item to their place. However, most shops do charge you if they can't find a problem wrong, so ask them before you sent anything.

Best Regards,
Mastermind
July 1, 2012 8:49:41 PM

Well, I got my motherboard in a couple of days ago, but it was faulty. So Im gonna sent it back. Unfortunately it was the last one in stock, and these aren't produced anymore so if it's completely fubar Im stuck with this P5 and cant test it.

The only mobo's still avalible for my socket are some asus P5's and some crappy AsRocks.

Have you made any progress?
July 8, 2012 4:08:31 PM

progress, hmmm not really.

I had a friend of mine test my 6950 and he got a few CTD's and BSOD's after couples hours gaming and only few minutes testing with UNIGINE Heaven.
So I thought; ready for RMA.

But I put in my older HD4870 512MB GPU (which used to work fine) and where i before only got CTD's i now get BSOD's on my rig, with all games (that i've tried so far).

I'm gonna try older drivers, and stress test my CPU & Ram & GPU one last time.
If still no luck finding the culprit I guess it's either the mobo or maybe weird combo of w7 64bit and my hardware.

So I'm heavily leaning towards upgrading to new mobo and cpu and giving this p5e rig to my girlfriend, cause the rig is perfectly stable under normal windows operation, just not with high end graphics stuff.

Good luck in finding another 775 mobo... hope it works out.

If anything new comes up i'll post again.

regards, daragman
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 7:46:32 PM

I used to have the same problem with my 6950 2GB.

Just make sure to try everything. Anything could cause an issue like this. Mine just so happened to be a bad stick of RAM.

Just test everything before you go and throw money at the problem that may or may not fix it.

And welcome to both of you guys to the forums!
July 8, 2012 9:04:00 PM

Hi Deemo.

thx for the welcome.

I'm hoping its bad RAM, but i've tested the 4 sticks for over 12 hours and no faults. I'm gonna try each one and in combos of two and all four again with memtest.
So hopefully i find the problem then. Maybe i can borrow 2 sticks of ddr2 from a friend to test my rig. But if i cant find the fault after that then there are only a couple of conclusions i can make:

either my old 4870 went 'bad' and my 6950 was bad from the start... which isnt very likely I'm afraid.
This would then lead me to my mobo, primarily my NB.

wish me luck... :) 

regards,

daragman
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 9, 2012 12:13:28 AM

When I had my issue, it happened when I was using my HD6950 as well as my 8800GT. It was a non-card related issue. It might actually be a driver issue. Who knows.

AMD has nothing to say about this problem at all.
July 19, 2012 2:37:53 PM

daragman said:
Hi Deemo.

thx for the welcome.

I'm hoping its bad RAM, but i've tested the 4 sticks for over 12 hours and no faults. I'm gonna try each one and in combos of two and all four again with memtest.
So hopefully i find the problem then. Maybe i can borrow 2 sticks of ddr2 from a friend to test my rig. But if i cant find the fault after that then there are only a couple of conclusions i can make:

either my old 4870 went 'bad' and my 6950 was bad from the start... which isnt very likely I'm afraid.
This would then lead me to my mobo, primarily my NB.

wish me luck... :) 

regards,

daragman

Anything new to report yet?

Dont leave a brother hanging alone man, I've been having this problem for nearly a year now and I have had it with this bullshit. I found out that if a game closes after a crash it's because DirectX gets the error that the Display Device has been removed, but what causes this.... is still the big question.
July 23, 2012 9:16:05 AM

Mastermind_ said:

Dont leave a brother hanging alone man, I've been having this problem for nearly a year now and I have had it with this bullshit. I found out that if a game closes after a crash it's because DirectX gets the error that the Display Device has been removed, but what causes this.... is still the big question.

Hey Mastermind,

The instability with my older 4870 was due to 8GB RAM instead of the normal 4GB, so i worked that out and got my rig stable again...
I'm still gonna RMA my 6950, because i had slight problems with it to start with and was getting progressively worse and that was all before i had the 8GB RAM.
Now all i can hope for is that, being my friend and i have tested the 6950 in two systems and have similar problems and can duplify the crashes in unigine heaven, that it is actually a botched GPU.
Because in the ATI release notes (of several releases) it does state that driver crashes can occur with certain configurations.
But how unlucky would i have to be that in the end the card comes out 'fine' and that my rig and my friends rig just wont 'accept' the card???

fingers crossed!

anything new on your end?

regards,

daragman
July 23, 2012 3:45:27 PM

Mastermind_ said:

He Mastermind,

small update:
I drove over to the retailer this afternoon to RMA the card and by the time i got home i had an email waiting from them stating that they found the card to be defective... Now the only thing left for me is to wait and wait and wait because they're gonna return the card to Sapphire and i have no idea if i'll get a new one or refurbished one or maybe with some luck i'll get a 7850... fingers crossed... (cause with any 'bad' luck, sapphire wont find a fault with the card and send it straight back)

How is your 775 board hunt goin?

regards,

daragman
!