Sign in with
Your question

What is this random plastic empty box inside my computer?

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2012 4:12:32 AM

Hi guys, I recently bought a used gaming computer and I am trying to overclock it. My temps at stock are idle are 50 degrees for all 4 cores (Q6700) and I am wondering why it's so high. So I opened up my Gigabyte 3DAurora case which is supposed to have a fan at the front. I am having trouble finding a running fan at the front. The back 2 fans are working but I don't see one up front. In front of where the front fan would sit is a BLACK PLASTIC BOX THAT OPENS AT THE FRONT. Opening up the box, I discover that it's empty. So I takes the screws out and remove the box to get a better look at the fan or lackthereof.

I'm wondering what this black box is for. Can anyone give me an idea? And also give me an idea of how to find out WHERE MY FAN IS.
July 11, 2012 4:24:25 AM

It can possibly be the external 3.5 bay or the mounting tray that's located in the bottom if the pictures are right on neweggs deactivated list.
m
l
July 11, 2012 4:54:04 AM

Doesn't look like a bay... If the box is closed no wires can enter the plastic box. The plastic box is about the size of a coke can. But it's a rectangular box.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 4:58:21 AM

do you have like pictures of it?. is there like screw holes on the box? boxes inside computers are usually HDD bays. smaller ones are SSD bays.
m
l
July 11, 2012 5:05:07 AM

This youtube review of that case explains the part to be a removable compartment - a toolbox of sorts I would call it - skip to 2:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyP4zm_ftw4
Don't know where your front fan may have disappeared to it should be just to the right of that box's cage as you look into the computer.
About those temps, what cooler are you using on your CPU?
m
l
July 11, 2012 7:28:57 AM

Ahhh... so it's just a storage compartment. Thanks for figuring that out for me.

I am using a Scythe heatsink and fan. Don't know what model scythe though, as it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the heat sink. Did some googling and found out the the TjMax setting for a Q6700 G0 should be 90 degrees. Setting this correctly (I think?) has lowered my temp readings, but I am still running hot. I am at 1.26750 V and a very small OC (287x10) and I am at 74 degrees under Prime 95 (15 minutes into testing). I assume to get my overclock higher I'd need to increase my Voltage but then I'd also be exceeding 75 degrees which would could hurt my CPU correct?

m
l
July 11, 2012 7:49:32 AM

lofemofe said:
Ahhh... so it's just a storage compartment. Thanks for figuring that out for me.

No problem
lofemofe said:

I am using a Scythe heatsink and fan. Don't know what model scythe though, as it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the heat sink. Did some googling and found out the the TjMax setting for a Q6700 G0 should be 90 degrees. Setting this correctly (I think?) has lowered my temp readings, but I am still running hot. I am at 1.26750 V and a very small OC (287x10) and I am at 74 degrees under Prime 95 (15 minutes into testing). I assume to get my overclock higher I'd need to increase my Voltage but then I'd also be exceeding 75 degrees which would could hurt my CPU correct?

Yeah, you're about as high of temps as I'd want to see there. If you have some thermal compound, you might try reseating the HSF - there are vids that can help there. Also, did you find your front fan? was it just unplugged or is it missing? Having that there will help I would think.
m
l
July 11, 2012 10:32:49 AM

Yeh the front fan is there and working. I guess I could try re-installing my heatsink, it does seem way too hot for the Volts
m
l
!