What is this random plastic empty box inside my computer?

lofemofe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys, I recently bought a used gaming computer and I am trying to overclock it. My temps at stock are idle are 50 degrees for all 4 cores (Q6700) and I am wondering why it's so high. So I opened up my Gigabyte 3DAurora case which is supposed to have a fan at the front. I am having trouble finding a running fan at the front. The back 2 fans are working but I don't see one up front. In front of where the front fan would sit is a BLACK PLASTIC BOX THAT OPENS AT THE FRONT. Opening up the box, I discover that it's empty. So I takes the screws out and remove the box to get a better look at the fan or lackthereof.

I'm wondering what this black box is for. Can anyone give me an idea? And also give me an idea of how to find out WHERE MY FAN IS.

lofemofe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
Ahhh... so it's just a storage compartment. Thanks for figuring that out for me.

I am using a Scythe heatsink and fan. Don't know what model scythe though, as it doesn't seem to say anywhere on the heat sink. Did some googling and found out the the TjMax setting for a Q6700 G0 should be 90 degrees. Setting this correctly (I think?) has lowered my temp readings, but I am still running hot. I am at 1.26750 V and a very small OC (287x10) and I am at 74 degrees under Prime 95 (15 minutes into testing). I assume to get my overclock higher I'd need to increase my Voltage but then I'd also be exceeding 75 degrees which would could hurt my CPU correct?

No problem

Yeah, you're about as high of temps as I'd want to see there. If you have some thermal compound, you might try reseating the HSF - there are vids that can help there. Also, did you find your front fan? was it just unplugged or is it missing? Having that there will help I would think.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Hey there, I expect you maybe know the answer to the question by now but 'just in case' excuse the pun lol. Anyway i recently bought this case for £25 because the guy thought it had all the pieces missing ie standoffs and hardrive sliders etc etc, so i was very pleased when i found the box and opened it and found all the said missing parts lol.
So in answer to your question it's a storage compartment which luckily for me bagged me an awesome'ish case with 3 nice fans (mine has one up front so sure yours does) co's I thought the same thing as you mate. great case for £25 eh :)

GIGABYTE calls it the Accessory Box. It's suppose to hold the motherboard standoffs and mounting screws and whatever other case accessories GIGABYTE decided to include with the case.

11-233-013-10.jpg