Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My FPS isn't right..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 21, 2012 2:39:48 PM

2 days ago I got Resident evil 5 and ran the ingame benchmark test and it was a solid average 60FPS. Today I moved my computer to another room and it kept opening the BIOS settings so I reset the settings, go into resident evil 5, and now my average FPS is 37. I checked Catalyst Control Center and everything is still the same. I checked my BIOS and the cpu, ram, and other things are good. I never overclocked anything by the way.

NOTE: Ever since I moved my computer to a different room and start it up, the BIOS comes up with two options: the HDD and the ASUS motherboard. I click the ASUS motherboard, takes me to the BIOS settings, check it over to see if everything is good and hit save and exit. When I hit save and exit, it just goes back to the BIOS with the two options again until I exit out by clicking Discard changes and save. It's really weird...


This also happens on Battlefield 3 and other games.

Here are my specs:

  • HD Radeon 6870 windforce edition
  • 8GB RAM 1800
  • 500GB HDD WD 7200RPM

  • ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • More about : fps

    a c 147 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 2:48:09 PM

    first of all make all your component are properly seated then try again. if same thing still happen try to re-install the driver
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 2:53:46 PM

    renz496 said:
    first of all make all your component are properly seated then try again. if same thing still happen try to re-install the driver


    I did re-install the driver but nothing.

    EDIT:
    NOTE: Ever since I moved my computer to a different room and start it up, the BIOS comes up with two options: the HDD and the ASUS motherboard. I click the ASUS motherboard, takes me to the BIOS settings, check it over to see if everything is good and hit save and exit. When I hit save and exit, it just goes back to the BIOS with the two options again until I exit out by clicking Discard changes and save. It's really weird...
    m
    0
    l
    Related resources
    a c 147 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:00:43 PM

    if the software side can't solve the problem it could be hardware problem. have you check all your hardware connection (pci-e slot(s), ram, psu cable, etc)?
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:02:54 PM

    renz496 said:
    have check all your hardware connection?


    Yes, everything is good. Just don't know why the FPS dropped from 60 to 30 :/ 
    m
    0
    l
    a c 147 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:06:52 PM

    what about CCC? have you played around with the control panel setting yet to see if you can tweak the performance?
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:12:12 PM

    renz496 said:
    what about CCC? have you played around with the control panel setting yet to see if you can tweak the performance?



    mhm and it all looks the same as before as said in my first post. Everything is turned off/set to performance. I even clicked on default settings and tried that but still the same avg. FPS.
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:17:41 PM

    Take a look at your temps while running the benchmark - if they're high maybe you unseated the HSF and the CPU is throttling. Did you also check all the SATA cables and try re-seating the memory?
    m
    0
    l
    a c 86 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:18:11 PM

    hows the temps? maybe some heatsink has gotten loose...
    real temp and gpu-z...

    edit: ^^I'm so slow lol
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:21:31 PM

    Well it really is weird
    Btw you shoud try and check other factors too.Like say...

    Make sure the voltage distribution,earthing and other electrical factors are uniform in all of your rooms.If they vary,measure them and check whether your system components are configured for the respective voltage flows.If they are incompatible,call some electricians fix your rooms.

    Have you checked again,how it works in the room where it previously was?
    m
    0
    l
    a c 147 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:25:45 PM

    ^+1

    good idea
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:26:53 PM

    Anik8 said:
    Well it really is weird
    Btw you shoud try and check other factors too.Like say...

    Make sure the voltage distribution,earthing and other electrical factors are uniform in all of your rooms.If they vary,measure them and check whether your system components are configured for the respective voltage flows.If they are incompatible,call some electricians fix your rooms.

    Have you checked again,how it works in the room where it previously was?


    Yes, im also using the same extension cord. Here a pic of afterburning while playing RE5

    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:31:36 PM

    How about CPU temps?
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:31:58 PM

    Also, here is a screenshot of me not playing RE5:



    In my room it was 36 degrees and it seems higher in this room. I'll put it back in my room and see what happens.

    Other than that, anyone else have any ideas on why it's doing this?
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:33:20 PM

    inanition02 said:
    How about CPU temps?


    Where can I find that at sir?
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:38:45 PM

    Download/run CPUID HWMonitor and run it while you're running the benchmark/game - it'll record max temps.
    m
    0
    l
    a c 147 U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:40:42 PM

    try using CPUID hwmonitor or core temp
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:44:10 PM

    inanition02 said:
    Download/run CPUID HWMonitor and run it while you're running the benchmark/game - it'll record max temps.


    Here ya go:
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 3:46:21 PM

    Pic won't load...
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:47:36 PM

    Did you try doing a CMOS reset and updating the BIOS?
    m
    0
    l
    January 21, 2012 3:48:07 PM

    inanition02 said:
    Pic won't load...


    erm try again. it's working for me :/ 
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 4:06:40 PM

    nickazzo123 said:
    Yes, im also using the same extension cord. Here a pic of afterburning while playing RE5

    http://screensnapr.com/e/HdEzBG.png


    Bro,normally gpu usage would tend to be around 90-100% at load or lingering around 20% when idle but rarely show a sustained curve around 60% like in your screenshot.This sometimes happen when GPUs can't draw the power it needs.

    Apart from what i asked to verify earlier,u may also try installing a good quality PSU.But since that will involve spending money,I say you check the other factors first.
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 21, 2012 5:43:39 PM

    Hmm, temps are good. Re-seat the GPU and check both 6-pin connectors from the PSU to the GPU.
    m
    0
    l
    January 22, 2012 12:03:53 AM

    inanition02 said:
    Hmm, temps are good. Re-seat the GPU and check both 6-pin connectors from the PSU to the GPU.


    Yea man I am going to open it and see if anything happened. If everything is okay, might as well call ASRock because im sure the BIOS has something to do with it. Maybe replace me CMOS? But that wouldn't make sense since I only had this PC for 3 weeks :x
    m
    0
    l
    January 22, 2012 12:00:24 PM

    math1337 said:
    Did you try doing a CMOS reset and updating the BIOS?


    Alright sir I did reset it and found out I did have an old version so I updated it and the BIOS issue is gone but my game's FPS is still dropping and I even opened the computer and reseated the GPU.. nothing :( 
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 22, 2012 12:29:21 PM

    nickazzo123 said:
    Alright sir I did reset it and found out I did have an old version so I updated it and the BIOS issue is gone but my game's FPS is still dropping and I even opened the computer and reseated the GPU.. nothing :( 


    Did you reseat the memory and check all the internal power connections?
    m
    0
    l
    January 22, 2012 12:46:43 PM

    inanition02 said:
    Did you reseat the memory and check all the internal power connections?


    Just tried it now and still getting the same low fps.
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 22, 2012 12:48:48 PM

    nickazzo123 said:
    Just tried it now and still getting the same low fps.


    Did you ever try moving it back to where it started? (physically?)
    m
    0
    l
    January 22, 2012 1:51:00 PM

    inanition02 said:
    Did you ever try moving it back to where it started? (physically?)


    Yea I did and I have the same problem but I am the biggest idiot for not mentioning this..

    I think i know what set the problem.. before I kept getting that bios screen popup, I hit the reset button on the back of the motherboard, thats when the FPS started to drop. So I cleared the CMOS again and updated the BIOS to a new version and the bios popup issue is gone but I still get low FPS. So resetting the CMOS really did screw it up. idk what settings in BIOS to change to get my video card functioning properly again :( 
    m
    0
    l
    January 24, 2012 12:10:54 AM

    Anyone else? I reseated the video card and that just made the FPS drop even more. Would re-installing Windows 7 help?
    m
    0
    l
    a c 88 U Graphics card
    January 24, 2012 12:24:30 AM

    Go through all your bios settings and set everything again correctly and to be tuned for optimal performance, you may have knocked out an overclock with the reset or another setting that is crusical to giving you the performance you used to have.
    Go thru every setting and make sure its like you used to have it otherwise you will have to play around with different settings to get it right.
    Also you have the option to save bios profiles...did you save it the last time you had it before the reset, cos if you did you can reload it and get all your settings back to how you had them.

    BTW set the settings for graphics in the bios to pci-e.
    m
    0
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    January 24, 2012 12:40:15 AM

    You don't happen to be running Virtu do you? I had an issue where Virtu died and it was running off the Intel HD graphics (on a Z68 board) - I had to go into the device manager and manually disable the HD graphics adapter.
    m
    0
    l
    January 24, 2012 12:44:49 AM

    monsta said:
    Go through all your bios settings and set everything again correctly and to be tuned for optimal performance, you may have knocked out an overclock with the reset or another setting that is crusical to giving you the performance you used to have.
    Go thru every setting and make sure its like you used to have it otherwise you will have to play around with different settings to get it right.
    Also you have the option to save bios profiles...did you save it the last time you had it before the reset, cos if you did you can reload it and get all your settings back to how you had them.

    BTW set the settings for graphics in the bios to pci-e.


    Sorry for being such an idiot but how do i load it? or did i have to save it on a usb flash disk? :( 

    Also, where do I go to set the graphic settings to pci-e?

    Thanks!
    m
    0
    l
    a c 88 U Graphics card
    January 24, 2012 12:51:15 AM

    Its hard to explain not knowing or seeing your bios outlay, but go thru each tab and set your system up , look for a graphics option where it may say onboard or pci-e and that is where you can set your graphics card.

    If you have your mobo manual handy this will help alot , if you dont just download it fom MSI website.
    m
    0
    l
    January 24, 2012 12:56:37 AM

    inanition02 said:
    You don't happen to be running Virtu do you? I had an issue where Virtu died and it was running off the Intel HD graphics (on a Z68 board) - I had to go into the device manager and manually disable the HD graphics adapter.


    Oh no I disabled it a while ago because it was bottlenecking my 6870 lol. and i will post screens of my BIOS tabs
    m
    0
    l
    January 24, 2012 1:07:02 AM

    monsta said:
    Its hard to explain not knowing or seeing your bios outlay, but go thru each tab and set your system up , look for a graphics option where it may say onboard or pci-e and that is where you can set your graphics card.

    If you have your mobo manual handy this will help alot , if you dont just download it fom MSI website.


    Yea to be honest with you there is no GPU option but if I go into APCI Configuration, I see something called PCI Devices ------> Disabled. Should I enable this?
    m
    0
    l
    January 24, 2012 2:03:00 AM

    No that sounds like it means a PCI SSD or something
    m
    0
    l
    !