nattynooster

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hey all,

I have a 5850 graphics card (Eyefinity compatible) and lately got a third monitor for my setup.
Now the third monitor won't work, and it's looking like I need to get an Active Displayport Adapter.
I've found a really cheap cable here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-44000-02-40R-Active-Display-Cable/dp/B00433C5Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327164236&sr=8-1 but I was wondering would that do the job?

It certainly seems like it but the more expensive adapters I've looked at have a USB cable to power them and I was wondering where does this one get its power from as I think I may need one with additional power.

Many Thanks!

inanition02

Distinguished
I have a similar Sapphire one (but it's DP to VGA) and it works perfectly. The reviews indicate that this one will work for Eyefinity so I say go for it!

Note that newer active cables that have been released since Eyefinity became more mainstream are often like this - no external power needed.

nattynooster

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thank you both for your replies, just before I buy I have a config question. My monitor does not have a Displayport port. So in addition to buying the active adaptor would I also need to get a Displayport (F) to HDMI (M) cable?

Thanks again for your help!

nattynooster

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Alright thanks for the response, I'll get an active Displayport to VGA converter and post how it goes.

Appreciate the responses

nattynooster

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
3x1920*1080 , LG E2250V monitors. But as I was trying to explain earlier (although kinda poorly) neither the monitor nor graphics card has a Displayport, so I was really wondering what to do with the male end of the displayport and whether or not I would need another cable to get that to work.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
As a note there are 2 types of active adapters
Single link - no USB power good upto 1920x1080
Dual Link - Needs USB power for resolution above 1920x1080

And there are the passive adapters that have no TMDS circuitry so they won't allow you to run 3 displays

inanition02

Distinguished

90% of 5850s were exactly the same:

DP
HDMI
dual link DVI (so 2 DVI ports)

Don't know who's confused about it. For Eyefinity to work, at least one monitor has to use the DP (displayport) connector. The other two can be HDMI and dual link DVI, HDMI and single DVI or two single DVI (mine is this last one).

Almost all 5XXX series cards capable of Eyefinity had this configuration. There were a few cards produced (mostly 5870s) that were "eyefinity edition" cards with only 6 mini-DP outs. For the 6XXX series Eyefinity cards, 2 mini-DP ports have largely replaced the single full DP alongside the HDMI and dual-link DVI.

inanition02

Distinguished

It may or may not be three monitors (based on reviews I would say it is), but it's not "Eyefinity".

Eyefinity isn't just the ability to run three monitors - it's the ability to tie monitors into "display groups" essentially forcing windows to see them as one big monitor with the combined resolution. You can then play a game on this virtual monitor, so that the game will play across all two/three/four/etc monitors. The card you have pasted there would not be able to do that (setting aside the fact that it's a 6450 and would get like 3 fps at those resolutions anyhow).

I have 3 monitors in my setup, 90% of the time (when I'm not gaming) I have Eyefinity disabled and just use them as separate monitors for productivity apps (browsers on one screen, outlook on another, word/excel/etc on the third). But I have a hotkey setup in Catalyst to toggle Eyefinity display grouping - when I'm going to game, I hit that then launch the game. It ties all three into a 1x3 group (1 monitor high by 3 wide) and launches the game at the full combined resolution.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
But eyefinity is an software technology and any outputs can make it run 3 Monitors with EyeFinity. (Besides VGA + DVI)
My graphic card can do EyeFinity with 2 monitors since it only has 2 outputs, but games on that aren't very playable since the middle is hidden by the borders of the screens...

inanition02

Distinguished

It's hardware and software enabled. From AMD:

"at least 3 simultaneous, active display outputs, including one DisplayPort™ connector are required to support AMD Eyefinity technology. Please consult the manufacturer of a particular product to confirm if it supports this feature.

How does AMD Eyefinity technology work?
AMD Eyefinity technology leverages both hardware and software. In terms of hardware, the AMD Radeon Premium and AMD Mobility Radeon™ GPUs listed above allow up to 6 displays to be driven from a single GPU. Unlike previous products which have a maximum of two display pipelines, AMD Eyefinity technology supports up to 6 display pipelines per GPU.
In terms of software, there are several different configuration options. Traditional extended and cloned display modes are all still available, but with AMD Eyefinity technology, if the displays can support the same resolutions then they can also be stitched together into a "single large surface" or "Display Group" (as described by the AMD Catalyst Control Center™ software). When a Display Group is created, it appears to the operating system and application as a single monitor with a very large resolution."

Your card with 2 monitors does not support "Eyefinity". See: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

WHAT? No, lol it can't be... The 5670 and 6670 is the same GPU, but with 80 less cores... Why does the 5670 support EyeFinity and not 6670?

inanition02

Distinguished

Actually, I just noticed something in that card's description: "Sapphire FleX Technology"

The FleX technology effectively combines an active DP circuit on to the board itself - so you don't have to have a displayport to enable eyefinity. You're buying a card with a built in "adapter"

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Ah. that would explain everything. :D

woody21369

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hopping one of you can answer an Eye-Finity question with out me having to add a new thread.

Which is best for gaming 3x LG 20inch at 1600x1200 or 3x 19 inch Hanns-G at 1440x900? I worry the LG 20s are way better monitors but I will I be stuck in 4:3 ratio.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

woody21369

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

I am afraid so. I guess I could sell these 4 monitors I have now and try and get three 1680x1050 monitors. I was hoping the 1200 vertical would work out better than the 900 or even a 1050.

woody21369

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
1.) 1920 x 1080P
2.) 1680 x 1050
-----------------------
out of those two options, I say the 1600 x 1200

Thanks for the fast reply from both of you. Do you know if I will be stuck in 4:3 ratio if I use the LGs?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
it's not going to be 4:3. It'll be 4800x1200 in landscape or 3600x1600 in portrait. Those are 4:1 and 9:4 respectively. A 3x 4:3 portrait setup is actually a pretty decent setup as the bezels are pushed much further apart.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
See, to me that's a much nicer setup than 3x 1920x1080. While I'm a portrait guy, I could envision using that setup in landscape. I had considered tracking down some older Dell 2007w 1600x1200 IPS screens for this exact purpose.