Removing image names from Display Properties

I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display Properties /
Desktop / Backround list.

These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing images
btw).
Where does windows store these images?

Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about removing image names display properties

    Desktop Background

    Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background

    *.bmp files located these folders.
    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u5mrR9gtEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Nevets68 <nevets291968@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display Properties /
    > Desktop / Backround list.
    >
    > These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing
    > images btw).
    > Where does windows store these images?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Wes -

    Thanks.
    However , what I mean is when you right click on your desk top, select
    Properties,Desktop, and see Backround, theres a list of available images.
    How do you remove the names from the list?

    > Desktop Background
    >
    > Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background
    >
    > *.bmp files located these folders.
    > C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    > C:\Windows
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:u5mrR9gtEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Nevets68 <nevets291968@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display Properties /
    >> Desktop / Backround list.
    >>
    >> These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing
    >> images btw).
    >> Where does windows store these images?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    If it's a file that was something you picked by either using the Browse
    button in Right click Desktop | Display Properties | Desktop tab |
    Background or from right clicking a file and selecting: Set As Desktop
    Background. Then pick a Windows supplied background like Bliss, Click Apply
    and OK. Then Right click Desktop | Display Properties | Desktop tab |
    Background and see if the file you wanted gone is, in fact, gone.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:OQeziWhtEHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Nevets68 <nevets291968@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes -
    >
    > Thanks.
    > However , what I mean is when you right click on your desk top, select
    > Properties,Desktop, and see Backround, theres a list of available
    > images. How do you remove the names from the list?

    >> Desktop Background
    >>
    >> Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background
    >>
    >> *.bmp files located these folders.
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    >> C:\Windows
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:u5mrR9gtEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Nevets68 <nevets291968@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display
    >>> Properties / Desktop / Backround list.
    >>>
    >>> These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing
    >>> images btw).
    >>> Where does windows store these images?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    check the names in the drop down list and try tomatch them up with *.bmp or
    *.jpg in the \windows folder and the \windows\web\wallpaper folder.
    then simply remove the files you want to another folder or just delete them
    and they will be gone from the dropdown selection box.

    hth

    george

    "Nevets68" <nevets291968@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Wes -
    >
    > Thanks.
    > However , what I mean is when you right click on your desk top, select
    > Properties,Desktop, and see Backround, theres a list of available images.
    > How do you remove the names from the list?

    >> Desktop Background
    >>
    >> Display Properties | Desktop tab | Background
    >>
    >> *.bmp files located these folders.
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    >> C:\Windows
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:u5mrR9gtEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Nevets68 <nevets291968@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display Properties /
    >>> Desktop / Backround list.
    >>>
    >>> These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing
    >>> images btw).
    >>> Where does windows store these images?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    Pictures list - Display Properties Background tab:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/background.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Nevets68" <nevets291968@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u5mrR9gtEHA.3572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    I have some image names I'd like removed from the Display Properties /
    Desktop / Backround list.

    These are'nt the built in (ie....coffee bean, bliss or gone fishing images
    btw).
    Where does windows store these images?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ramesh, you busy fellow. This was my next post...

    ---
    Find that file, somename.bmp in one of these locations >>

    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures

    I believe the only way to remove an item from the list is to remove that
    item from one of the folders listed above.
    ---

    58 pictures, huh? But I want to have 59 choices. <LOL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u2jbQ0mtEHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Pictures list - Display Properties Background tab:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/background.htm

    Hey Wes,

    >> 58 pictures, huh? But I want to have 59 choices.

    OTOH, some have reported that >100 pics caused the entire list to appear under the Background tab. Have you tested it Wes?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23Oe8geqtEHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    Ramesh, you busy fellow. This was my next post...

    ---
    Find that file, somename.bmp in one of these locations >>

    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures

    I believe the only way to remove an item from the list is to remove that
    item from one of the folders listed above.
    ---

    58 pictures, huh? But I want to have 59 choices. <LOL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u2jbQ0mtEHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Pictures list - Display Properties Background tab:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/background.htm

    Hi Ramesh,

    I was kidding. And I have not tested it. I use Classic Start Menu and a
    Modified Theme. Classic with the Bliss wallpaper as a Desktop background.
    I have all the other candy turned off. At least it sorta looks like I have
    XP. ]-I

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23jQGTJytEHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hey Wes,
    >
    >>> 58 pictures, huh? But I want to have 59 choices.
    >
    > OTOH, some have reported that >100 pics caused the entire list to
    > appear under the Background tab. Have you tested it Wes?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Ramesh, you busy fellow. This was my next post...
    >
    > ---
    > Find that file, somename.bmp in one of these locations >>
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    > C:\Windows
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\My Documents\My Pictures
    >
    > I believe the only way to remove an item from the list is to remove
    > that
    > item from one of the folders listed above.
    > ---
    >
    > 58 pictures, huh? But I want to have 59 choices. <LOL>
    >

    > In news:u2jbQ0mtEHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Pictures list - Display Properties Background tab:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/background.htm

Configuration Internet Explorer Customization Windows XP Displays