jumbolkna

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hello,

I have an extra $200 that I can put towards my current system. I was wondering what you thought the best upgrade should be to improve gaming. I mainly use my computer for gaming and watching movies. My current system is as follows

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master 212+
PSU: Seasonic x760 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design R3
MB: AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3
Graphics Card: Powercolor 6950 2GB with thermalright Shaman Cooler
RAM: 8Gb G Skill Rip Jaws
SSD: 120Gb Vertex 2
HDD: 2TB WD Green
Optical: Optiarc 22x DVD+/- RW
Sound: Asus Xonar D1

Would another 8Gb RAM improve things a great deal? From what I have been reading it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The other thing I was thinking was changing the SSD to a SATA 3 perhaps? My vertex 2 is unfortunately one of the later models which is slightly slower than the earlier ones. A second 6950 unfortunately won't fit in due to the thermalright shaman. I am willing to upgrad the graphics card but it needs to be as silent as it is now with the thermalright shaman. Would a H80 allow me to overclock even further?

Thanks
James

You already have a very fine gaming pc.

In what way is your gaming lacking?

If you want better FPS, then a graphics upgrade is in order.
If a second 6950 won't fit, sell it, and buy a GTX580, or better yet, a GTX680 whenever they come back in stock.

Unless you are doing lots of multitasking, adding 8gb will not do anything for you.

I also don't think a 6gb ssd will make much difference either unless your level load times seem unusually long.

If you want quiet, H80 is not for you. A quieter and equally effective cooler for your case might be a noctua NH-D14. I really don't think it is worth it though.

How high you can OC will be dependent on the particular cpu chip sample. Perhaps 50% 2500K chips will do 4.5, so you might try to get a bit more out of yours.
If you think you need more cpu, then wait a month, and upgrade to ivy bridge 3570K.

If you don't have a second monitor, consider that. It won't help with gaming, but it is very good for all other web work.

Isn't it nice to have $200 burning a hole in your pocket with nothing really needed? :)